It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The unconquered Asturian people. Romes bane.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Shiloh7

Oh hell yeah. There are druidic writings all over the place there. I saw a pre-roman square with untranslated druidic writings. I bought my first set of druid stones in a little artisan folklore store there.

The symbols and scripts are very similar, if not just a variation of the same type found in the Uk and Ireland.

Do you mean runic writings, runestave etc ?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Yes, yes I do. LOL. Its 4:30AM here and I am not on my best game. My newborn baby is sucking the life out of me...LOL

Thanks for the correction.

edit on 4 9 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That's quite interesting because unfortunately, these runic remains are not likely to be found in Belgium. Probably because their were originally carved on wood and thus decayed over time.

In the region of another Belgic tribe, the Condrusii, there is a village known for his standing stones and dark-ages grade remains : Wéris

I never visited Asturia, but I went to the nearby Basque country. Unfortunately the Celtic age remains are likely to have been wiped because of the various cultural influences that the region received through the course of more recent history.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Yeah its such a loss. Allot of celtic culture was erased by the Catholic church and later by various cultural movements. In Basque country the Franco regime went all out erasing anything that wasnt Catholic or "Spaniard".

To this day Northern peoples in Spain consider themselves to be first from their region and culture and second as Spaniard. I doubt that will ever change. Hell, I consider myself a New yorker first and foremost and an American second to that. It may be hard wired into us. LOL

Thats probably why Asturians are the most tolerated of all Spaniards by basques. We get along swimmingly. I am part Basque from what I am told. I have to send in a DNA test I just got. I am pretty sure Basque is going to come up in my family tree. We interbred allot with them.

I had no Idea Belgium had such a rich Celtic heritage. I knew it was there, but not to that extent. Thats pretty cool. We are cousins of sorts!

I will definitely read up on this some more. You gave me some interesting homework.

EDIT TO ADD:
I think I was wrong before. The Asterix comics are definitely based off you guys. I always thought they were ours growing up. There are so many similarities...In any event I like the history you guys made. Its something I highly respect.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Can't forget at one point celtic culture covered most of the known world.

Good thread, always love to hear about amazing resistance.
edit on 9-4-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

As I was reading, I was thinking about that...the movie is "The Eagle."

Nice post, and a decent movie.
edit on 9-4-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Hell yeah, I freaking LOVE that movie.

great cast, production and story.

Thanks man. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
All this talk about Romans and rebellion, and no one has mentioned ... Asterix ???

www.asterix.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I had a great time in Brittany and Galicia drumming up content for a radio show I did way back when.

I never should have left!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

indeed there is a lot of history between the Belgians and the Asturianos.
Still today there are a lot of Asturians living in Belgium. I believe Belgium has the largest community of Asturians.
The 'famous' "manneken pis" is dressed in traditional Asturias clothing, not to mention the water has turned into sidra(cider).

Good thread, thanks for the read.

puxa asturies!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I once visited Weris, nice little town, brings back memories.

Asturias, like it's neighbours Galicia and Cantabria still holds a lot of Celtic history. Ruins, burial grounds, megalithic sites.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Of course, much later, the reconquista began in that area of Iberia.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

The Celtic world once covered almost the entirety of Europe, even the biblical Galatians from Turkey where also Celts.
And the writing system (runes) is the one used by the Scandinavians (Vikings) as well.
The problem with the legacy of the Celts, is that they've never been much into writing but rather had oral tradition.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Is it just me or would anyone else much more prefer a matriarchal society? Ours is somewhat like that in a social sense but in the real world everyone puts men first and I can't help but wonder why. Women have a much better connection to the divine being as the Earth is feminine, so it only makes sense.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

The Celtic world once covered almost the entirety of Europe, even the biblical Galatians from Turkey where also Celts.

Yes another ATS poster clued me into the fact about the Galatians as a much overlooked and underrated people.. is Galatian a compound word???..am sure it's just a coincidence and I don't know what Iam talking about , but what if we were do this..Ga + Latin Ga would be a prefix meaning something like "THE" ..anyway Iam sure Iam wrong.. just having fun.

Good Thread Tadaman.

edit on 10-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Excellent thread Tadaman!

And the strength and courage of the asturian didn't just end up facing and kicking roman butt!!

Fast forward give or take 500 years, and that's where the reconquest of Spain started against the moors with Don Pelayo!!

Asturias and Cantabria were the only regions of Spain not to fall to moorish rule.

Forcia Asturies
edit on 10-4-2015 by RadioKnecht because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioKnecht
Thank you RadioKnecht!
That is the aspect of Asturia that I, in this day and age, find most inspiring. It seems that Asturia was the origin of the "reconquista", associated with prince Pelagius' defeat of a an umayyad (moorish) force at the battel of Covadonga. An act of defiance that no doubt gave impetous to the long and arduous task of ridding the Iberian peninsula of their musulman usurpers.

edit on 10-4-2015 by EllsworthToohey because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2015 by EllsworthToohey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

This was awesome. Thanks for the cool, relatively little-known history!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianoasis
Is it just me or would anyone else much more prefer a matriarchal society? Ours is somewhat like that in a social sense but in the real world everyone puts men first and I can't help but wonder why. Women have a much better connection to the divine being as the Earth is feminine, so it only makes sense.

To say women have a much better connection to the divine being seems to diminish the divine being to less all-encompassing. Is one side of a coin more part of the coin than the other? If so, what is the displaced part of the other side a part of?

Ideally, I believe a balanced society would be great. Too much pull either way, less than ideal. I also, however, believe it's only natural to have the pendulum swing back and forth, seeking equilibrium, like everything else everywhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Very cool thread. thanks for sharing this piece of history and a bit of your heritage with us. I, for one, enjoyed it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join