It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which changes would you make to the constitution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Here's a scenario. For some convoluted reason it has been decided the constitution needs to be changed, and that you are just the person to do it. These are the rules, and if you do one you must do both. You may add to or clarify one amendment and you may remove one amendment. Which one will you strengthen/weaken, and which one will you remove?

Here's a brief summary of each if you're not aware.

1. Free speech/religion/press/peacefully protest/petition government
2. Bear arms
3. Quartering soldiers in your homes
4. Unreasonable search and seizure
5. Due process, and remain silent
6. Speedy trial
7. Trial by jury
8. Cruel and unusual punishment
9. Enumerated powers
10. States rights
11. Suing states by non residents
12. Presidential election procedures
13. Abolishes slavery
14. Defines citizenship, equal protection clause
15. Prohibits voting denial
16. Income tax
17. Direct election of senators
18. Prohibition
19. Womens suffrage
20. Presidential term dates
21. Repeal probhition
22. Presidential term limits
23. DC gets an electoral vote
24. Prohibits poll taxes
25. Continuance of government
26. Prohibits denial of voting if 18 or older
27. Congressional raises go into effect in the next term

If I had to kick something off, it would be the second. In a world where the government has WMD's, weaponized drones, bombers, tanks, and million dollar missiles I just don't see how owning a firearm in any way empowers making the government fear the people.

In exchange, what I would alter is the trial by jury. I would make it so that all crimes must go through a jury, and the process should be more involved than it is now. There would be no plea bargains. The idea would be to saddle the court in the inefficiencies of trial so that they could only prosecute those crimes that really matter. This would in turn create better laws, so that we don't all commit multiple felonies a day purely by accident.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't change any of them or get rid of any of them either regardless of the rules.

Why?

That good old slippery slope argument. It rears its ugly head time and time again. Unfortunately if one is changed then that opens the door for the rest of them to be changed as well. Then we'd wind up with nothing, because we all know that if you give someone an inch, they will take a mile. Especially good old Uncle Sam.

It's worked out pretty good for us so far and sometimes it's good to leave well enough alone.

Better mousetrap and all that jazz.

If it had to be changed, I'd just as soon give up my position to do it and let someone else be responsible for the ensuing crap storm.
edit on 4/9/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I would make the second amendment stronger so that we can end the debate on gun rights. I would also like to see income taxes being illegal like they were intended. If we could strengthen state rights and neuter the Feds I would be happy.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
1. I'd add term limits to the Judicial branch and Congress. Something like 10 years max. Lifetime appointments like the Supreme Court are undemocratic & useless.

2. I'd get rid of the Electoral College & make federal elections require a simple majority. Then a President will always be the person who gets the most votes. And it wouldn't matter if you were in a "red" state or "blue" state because your vote would count equally.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

See, the thing is I'm very pro 2nd. I just don't think it's very effective anymore. If the purpose of the second is to oppose the government, then at best you have a combat rifle equal to that of your opposition. But in addition to their rifle they have body armor, more ammunition, complete air superiority, complete naval superiority, cyber weapons, leverage with the banks, and more. Back when things were written the army and the individual were on an equal playing field. But today that is no longer the case. You get 10 cent bullets while they get million dollar cruise missiles.

Outside of the ability to feel secure in your ability to protect yourself from attack, what does the second do? It's primary purpose has been eliminated through the cheers of increased military spending.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
1. I'd add term limits to the Judicial branch and Congress. Something like 10 years max. Lifetime appointments like the Supreme Court are undemocratic & useless.

2. I'd get rid of the Electoral College & make federal elections require a simple majority. Then a President will always be the person who gets the most votes. And it wouldn't matter if you were in a "red" state or "blue" state because your vote would count equally.

I take it you're not a states rights person. #2 exists specifically as an issue of states rights. It forces candidates to goto smaller states with poor vote totals and make promises to those citizens. Rather than all of the power being in the hands of a few large cities, while the rural areas have no say at all. As an example of this in action, farmers in the midwest routinely extract concessions from candidates during campaign season but without the electoral college, no one would ever go visit the farmland and they would be completely ignored.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Constitution. Good joke, man.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: Metallicus

See, the thing is I'm very pro 2nd. I just don't think it's very effective anymore. If the purpose of the second is to oppose the government, then at best you have a combat rifle equal to that of your opposition. But in addition to their rifle they have body armor, more ammunition, complete air superiority, complete naval superiority, cyber weapons, leverage with the banks, and more. Back when things were written the army and the individual were on an equal playing field. But today that is no longer the case. You get 10 cent bullets while they get million dollar cruise missiles.

Outside of the ability to feel secure in your ability to protect yourself from attack, what does the second do? It's primary purpose has been eliminated through the cheers of increased military spending.

Out of all that, you are going to put the kabash on the second? Really, of all the amendments.

There are plenty of more meaningful choices, so I must say, your choice speaks against what you claim to believe in.

Either way, Amend the 20th to include term limits for ALL government positions, not just the president. No more then 8 years, in ANY office in the Federal Government, be it Judicial, Congressional, or Executive.

And kill the income tax Amendment, #16.

Leave the damn second alone, it gets picked on enough, and it still holds up it's muster. Without it, things would become much worse, much faster. Armed citizens still would make a mess of any move against the people, by a government taking a action of force, enough so that other countries would sit up and take notice.

It is not just a government granted right to defend ones life, it is a right of being alive. The Second gives us the right, despite what our government wishes, so that many people would willingly be defiant against such moves by a rogue government who decides to take up arms against it's own citizens, to enslave or worse.

Technically, the second gives us the right to over-throw a government that no longer follows the laws laid down by the founding fathers, truth be told. But we have become soft, and apparently it will only be used as a last option, before death comes for all of us in the form of a government no longer wishing to allow us to live.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

- I would make sure the first would become real again, so there would be real free press

- I would add, corporations and Politicians are forbidden to have any connections

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

I think your constitution is fine.

The USA just needs to APPLY it. And not only apply it but make sure they apply it equally.

Changes I would make.

Ban politicans from takeing money in any way from corperations while in office.

Ban politicans from giveing money to corperations unless its to pay for a needed service in which case it needs to be open publicaly for bids and all recipts open to the public.

Ban war profiteering while holding office. Bush and Cheny should not have made a single cent on there wars.

The other clause is that any Politician that votes in favour for a war should have a family member conscripted as a enlisted. That way they have a stake in the war and cant just send other people off to fight and die while they sit in a comfortble office and drink champaign.

And make lying in congress the same as lying in court. If a politican outright lies then they should go down for purjury. If the lie get people killed or endanger the US, treason.

Forbid military alliances,support and selling arms to non free and democratic countrys and organisations. Eg Saudi Arabia.

edit on 9-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Add an amendment that prohibits the government from borrowing money.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I would add an amendment that corporations are NOT people

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I would add an amendment or two:

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/14. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.

If they want medical care for life, we get it too. If they don't pay taxes, neither do we. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Watch how fast things change once the shoe is on the other foot and you take the money out of the equation.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I would add just one.

28. Words in The English Language must be spelt as originally intended.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Anf yet, with all their superiority, the government would lose in a big way if it came to us versus them.

The only way for "the man" to defeat us is to nuke the entire US. Something that will mever happen.

As for changing anything, I wouldn't. The addition of term lilits would be good though.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
SHORT term limits on ALL political and government jobs.

Making a career out of politics should not be allowed.

Also, limitation of certain rights should be treated as treason.
Like when the cops lock people away for no good reason. Infringing on freedom is wrong, and it should be treated as wrong. If I locked someone up in my basement for no good reason, I'd be punished for it. I expect the blue meanies and the government (all the way up) to be held to the same standards.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Make non-violent activities unprosecutable
Term limits for congress

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

That would bankrupt and then destroy the country the first time we were to enter a major war.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: butcherguy

That would bankrupt and then destroy the country the first time we were to enter a major war.

Not if the government was prepared for such things.
If we had libertarians running things, we could cut taxes and have a surplus every year.

Anyway, if you listen to a lot of members here, the eventuality that you predict would make a lot of people happy.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Repeal the 16th and 17th amendments.

There is no justification for a federal income tax.

Our republic was designed to maintain a balance of power that was put off kilter with the elimination of state legislature appointed senators. Now they are just super representatives of populations rather than of the states as was intended.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join