It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun control push backfires as industry sees unprecedented surge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Support for gun rights highest in 20 years.

Highlights:
www.washingtontimes.com...

The American firearms industry is as healthy as ever, seeing an unprecedented surge that has sent production of guns soaring to more than 10.8 million manufactured in 2013 alone — double the total of just three years earlier.

Several gun control groups also didn’t respond to messages seeking comment on the manufacturing statistics and what they mean for the state of the debate.

The biggest change in production has come under President Obama. From 2001 to 2007, gun production held steady at between 3 million and 4 million units a year. It topped 4 million in 2008 but shot to 5.6 million in 2009, held steady in 2010 and then spiked to 8.6 million guns in 2012 and a record 10.8 million in 2013, according to ATF data.

Indeed, in 2000, 51 percent of Americans said guns made homes more dangerous, according to Gallup, the polling firm. By last year, that had dropped to 30 percent, and a full 63 percent now said guns made a home “safer.”

Nationally, concealed carry permits have grown from 4.6 million in 2007 to more than 12 million now, Mr. Lott said.

edit on 8-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well duh, anyone who knows anything about guns know that Obama has done more for gun sales than any President. Clinton was a close second i think. The left wing handwringers who used to be in charge here said, that if we had the right to concealed carry that there would be shootouts in diners, killings would be everywhere. It turned out to be horse #. The left wing gives no credit to the People. They hear some wing nut with a gun kills several people and think all gun owners are nuts and hearing voices, therefore guns are bad. I blame cities, they live in such a insulated odd life, they can't understand having a gun, let alone hunting or punching holes in paper (which is fun btw.)

V

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The American firearms industry is as healthy as ever, seeing an unprecedented surge that has sent production of guns soaring to more than 10.8 million manufactured in 2013 alone — double the total of just three years earlier.

The article doesn't say what portion of that 10.8 million went to law enforcement and the military.

I have a hunch that portion is hearty. "10.8 million manufactured". It doesn't break down at all what went to whom. Without additional details, this "backfire" could actually be evidence of preparation for martial law and/or escalated military action.

If that figure doesn't include government contracts, my point is moot. But otherwise...

edit on 4/8/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I know a couple gun dealers, business is booming..
Ammo is in high demand to, so prices are way up.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Gun purchases and CCW have risen, both for the same reason. People have finally stared to realize that the police/govt can't protect you. They get there after it's all over and while they may catch who did it, that doesn't save you or your family from what is happening NOW.. You can call 911 and scream for help all you like, but mean while the bad guys are still coming through the door.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I don't even think they are counting foreign imports but who knows.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

If that figure doesn't include government contracts, my point is moot. But otherwise...

Sorry my friend but yeah " .... point is moot"

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dazbog

www.fbi.gov...

In 2013, a total of 21,093,273 background checks were submitted to the NICS. Of these, a total of 9,315,963 transactions were processed by the NICS Section, and the remaining 11,777,310 transactions were processed by state users.

No stats on the FBI page for 2014 yet.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Just by experience alone, I believe it is safe to say the majority of the firearms manufactured were for the civilian market. The majority of stuff made is hunting rifles and pistols. Both go primarily to the civilian market. There are collectors in many municipalities who buy the same model every year, because they like collecting. Not to mention there is always something different from one years model to the next. Could be the trigger pull became just a bit more crisp from a new material. May have shaved a few millimeters off here and there making it lighter and more compact.

Most years will see subtle changes to ongoing productions. Sometimes just the springs within could have undergone a change in the process making them more robust, efficient.

Whatever most people here who collect and shoot know what I am talking about.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is why I've been in a few gun shops, and they have Obama on the wall in a frame that says "Salesman of the Year" or "Employee of the Year."

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: dazbog

www.fbi.gov...

In 2013, a total of 21,093,273 background checks were submitted to the NICS. Of these, a total of 9,315,963 transactions were processed by the NICS Section, and the remaining 11,777,310 transactions were processed by state users.

No stats on the FBI page for 2014 yet.

That's interesting and always willing to learn. Many States do not require a background ck on civilian sales of weapons. No FFL dealer. Prior to 2013 this was the case in Colorado. Not sure what background checks may have to do with actual manufactured weapons. I'm a tad tied but I suspect military contracts wound not be included. It appears the Times piece was directed toward the civilian markets rise in gun buys due to fear of a new gun grabbing Congress. Or not : )

top topics

join