It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PREVIEW: In The Crosshairs: How I Became the Target of an NSA Power Struggle, by Greg Hansen

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

the only way to get different, is to demand different out of all our government agencies..

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Like I said before - I grew up in New Jersey. "Knock Down - drag out" has different meaning to us.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: greghansen

I grew up in the midwest... being a hardass doesn't get you very far in life there... being the type of person that people can respect.. does.
edit on 10-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: greghansen

Ask me anything. Of course I will go through with it. I simply cannot talk about sources and methods - I am kind of disinterested in jail time.

Then what exactly are you offering us again?
Cool story bro.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Sorry. But I have the utmost respect for people like Snowden, Manning, and Assange but this? Maybe it's because I'm British, impatient and generally grumpy but this is almost offensive.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

It's no different than some of the other folks on ATS that know about certain projects or topics but are unable to elaborate because the subject matter is classified. I can understand and respect that and it is in no way offensive.

What I don't like is self promotion to the point where to fully digest what the subject matter is, you have to purchase something.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Ask me anything. Of course I will go through with it. I simply cannot talk about sources and methods - I am kind of disinterested in jail time.

I can understand a lack of interest in that.

Nearly all of my questions would skirt that line though.

So, perhaps less about the past and more about the future. What are some of the goals on the road map of both the NSA and yourself?

The former may be tricky, so I would understand restraint or.. creativity. But, in regards to yourself, are you focusing solely on the book or are you still using your talents in some capacity?

It sounds like you are very capable in your fields. While I think getting the information in the book out to the public is important, you might be able to make even more of a difference by using your skills in some capacity that helps fix things in some way.

I think we all make an impact. Do you plan on trying to make a difference outside of just the books?

I ask because I am curious about what someone with your experience would focus on in order to work towards making things better.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

What I don't like is self promotion to the point where to fully digest what the subject matter is, you have to purchase something.

Greg has already offered his book free to Libraries :-

" By the way, no one has to buy my book. Libraries can have it for free and lend it out on Kindle. I would prefer ATS members read it before making comments about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

I starred your post. Thanks for that. However, offering it to libraries for free doesn't really reach a wide audience. Lending copies, or even better giving away copies, on Kindle is an excellent gesture. I will certainly change my tone a bit.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

the only way to get different, is to demand different out of all our government agencies..

I think that we, almost subconsciously, expect people in these positions of power to be better representatives of humans than the general public. Ideally, I guess they would be. They are just like everyone else though; subject to the background hum of our cultural story.

Our society rewards the behavior we decry. I think we have to change the incentives before we can expect much change in the people who gain and hold power. Now, that change I think is more effective from the top down. Without understanding the systemic problems that have plagued us for centuries, any attempt to fix issues will be temporary, or even make things worse in the long term.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Perhaps many do.. but certainly not all.. The problem I see with society at large is that most people simply don't care, they have their bread and circus and that is all that interests them.

I think society has to care, and not just a small portion of that society, but the greatest part of the majority really has to say no more.

All these are things we have known since I was a child, heck government waste and wasteful spending were some of the first political discussions I can remember as a kid. Yet, it not only still exists, it continues to grow worse with each passing year.

When only a few care, having them stand on their heads and scream doesn't help, they get ignored.

So really, the problem is known, has been known, and most just say "Oh well, it doesn't effect my bread and circus." My old boss used to say, don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions..

To be honest, I think the only time we will see the people step up to the plate ready to force the necessary solutions, is going to be when the bread and circus is gone.

edit on 10-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Night Star

Thanks for that and I apologize for being a "tad" less than civil.

No need for apologies. You were just being defensive and I don't blame you. I wanted our community to be more civil with our guests. I wanted them to prove that we are the awesome community that we are.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

I can talk about Executive Order 12333 and how the Patriot Act usurped the intent of that EO (remember, it is an Executive Order, not a law, but congress (unlike what they want to do to Obama on immigration) has done nothing to deal with the abuse of that EO), I can theorize about PRISM, and talk about how technology helps track "bad guys."

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

"Lending copies, or even better giving away copies, on Kindle is an excellent gesture."

I can't even get a Kindle copy for myself. Getting it from the library is essentially the same thing as getting a free loaner, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

"are you focusing solely on the book or are you still using your talents in some capacity? "

I am no longer focusing on the book. Right now I am focusing on a new book on my real area of expertise - process analysis using simulation. Specifically I am looking at applying Bayes' Theorem to strategic analysis, something I didn while working at NSA. Unfortunately I have to relearn a lot of extremely technical stuff and I am lacking proper motivation. I have, BTW, offered my services to a few organizations for free, but if they were to accept my offer it wold mean that it might upset their belief systems, so that has gone nowhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

"The problem I see with society at large is that most people simply don't care"

Yep!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

"are you focusing solely on the book or are you still using your talents in some capacity? "

I am no longer focusing on the book. Right now I am focusing on a new book on my real area of expertise - process analysis using simulation. Specifically I am looking at applying Bayes' Theorem to strategic analysis, something I didn while working at NSA. Unfortunately I have to relearn a lot of extremely technical stuff and I am lacking proper motivation. I have, BTW, offered my services to a few organizations for free, but if they were to accept my offer it wold mean that it might upset their belief systems, so that has gone nowhere.

How (in what manner) do you think the theorem will help in the field of strategic analysis?

Why do you think it will upset anyone's "belief system"? Just through the implementation of a new thought process - basically change as a whole, or something more fundamental?

I'm sincerely interested - the enjoyment of learning new things, I can never get enough of it!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Industry is filled with buzz words and "certifications", such as Siz Sigma "Black Belt", Professional Program Manager (PMP) and the SEI Maturity Model. I worked at the SEI when the Maturity Model was introduced. I thought it as BS then and still do. I have posted little tests on LinkedIn about process improvement and every single Black Belt failed the test. I worked for two PMPs at SAIC and they were both miserable.

Simulation is a "cold, prickly" approach to process analysis, not a "warm, fuzzy" approach. However so few organizations use simulation it does not fall into their belief system regarding organizational change. They want to do what their competitors do regardless of the payback the competitors have gained.

Bayes Theorem in one in which multiple strategies can be explored and, when combined with simulation, can take into consideration events that change a prior beliefs. Unfortunately most decisions are made with the belief system that was present on the onset of some event, such as the war in Iraq. Sadam had WMD - period! I don't think we would have avoided the war had many different scenarios been explored but it may have just helped.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I'm happy to hear that!

What do you mean by belief systems have gotten in the way? Do you mean religion or reluctance to work with some one that has NSA connections?

I have a distinct interest in optimization, specifically efficiency with *added* quality. As you may know, most ventures of this kind are met with resistance. For some reason, most are more interested in increased efficiency at the cost of quality, or at best, quality staying the same.

Have the governments processes been able to tackle PvsNP?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

To be honest yet today I think that the belief "Sadaam had WMD's" has not changed within our government.. it has however, changed the location of his WMD's to Syria with our government acting under the belief that he got them out of Iraq and into Syria. I am under the belief that this belief is what made us make such poor decisions as of late, at any rate, speaking of belief.

I would be interested to see a scenario where your simulation would have or possibly could have changed the outcome.. as it is near to impossible to change something believed - often even in spite of evidence with only few exceptions to that rule...

Would you be willing to give us some examples (does not have to be real world examples) of how you think an innovative approach such as the one you are suggesting would or even could change either beliefs or the outcomes stemming from those beliefs?

edit on 11-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join