It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with Windows XP boot disc using Lubuntu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
hello everyone!

Just got a new computer so I don't need my old laptop anymore. I want to give it to my friend so they can start working for me but I'm having a problem with loading XP back onto the computer.

I changed the boot order so that the CDROM gets started first, I hear the disc spin up, it says to start boot click any key now(which I do) then it goes black and nothing loads. After a few seconds the disc stops spinning as well.

I have confirmed that the boot disc is working on another computer and also have made sure that my disc drive is working properly.

From what I have read there may be an issue with the Grub loader or it's that the XP boot disc doesn't recognize the linux partitions and I would have to reformat them to NTFS (using gparted)

Not sure if this may add to the problem but upon installing Lubuntu I encrypted the entire computer.

This is what it looks like what I open gparted

So is there a safe way to get rid of the linux partitions since I don't need them anymore? Or am I going in the wrong direction.

Thanks to anyone who helps! You guys seem to know your stuff that's why I come here for my computer help!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
can you use a virtual machine on it? like vmware?
vmware
edit on 8-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I'm not sure...but I know that the program that I need to give to my friend to work for me doesn't work with virtual machines.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cavedweller88

Would it have anything to do with XP support pulled by MS? Un-compatibility now year or tow after that in using it now???

(sorry, just a thought....I don't have as much exp. as the member above and others)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

no I don't think that's the issue...

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Might need to delete the part.s, recreate them Unencrypted, use the boot disk again to try to install XP. If that doesn't work, you may need to find a clean XP install disk, and of course the key to that laptop. (did it come with a sticker on the bottom?)

If the laptop can handle the OS, put win7 on there instead. You will not get any updates from MS for XP, and IE on the XP system is not supported by a lot of websites out there. I still have PCs in my lab that run XP, and they get slower by the day no matter how much I try to clean them up. Multiple errors when loading sites with IE (not so much with firefox, chrome or even Opera), but the plugins required just have issues with the XP system.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Greetings,
Along those same lines, I've been trying to load Mint , but can't. Now you have to add ISO but couldn't.
Years ago I got xandros and it loaded with no problem, but I couldn't get any help from my internet provider, they supported linux but no one there could tell how to connect. So I gave up on that.
How come xandros could load without all this extra bs and Mint can't?

I have a dell GX 520. The Xp is corrupted and I don't have a disk for it. Can I reformat and try to install the mint with out the xp program?

I'm so tired of the intrusions while on the internet, that I really won't to go to linux.

Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ooops, screw up in last sentence, won't should have been want.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Do you have a real Microsoft XP install CD or is the boot disk something you made.

It sounds like the encryption is the problem,

I know you want to keep using XP but it is no longer supported and your open to issues.

What is the software that you are using that is forcing you to use XP?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The boot disk will need to match certain details to be considered a bootable disk and theres certain problems with pre sp2 xp and certain bios setups which can be a right royal pita to sort out. and trying possibly to get a 2003 OS on a 2015 piece of hardware is a bit like expecting airbags on a model t ford as standard

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Go look Here

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Download GParted iso and create a bootable disk from it (Burn iso to disk). Once completed, boot the PC with it, it should allow you to see and edit or delete the partitions.

GParted Live is available in three different architectures

GPARTED

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Oh and once you trash the drive put in the XP boot disk and do a fresh install.

stone

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Use a Linux live disk to blow away the partitions.

Windows (back then) did not allow you to delete some partition types.

Also, Windows uses an MFT partitioning scheme. It doesn't play well with GPT partitions.

OR...

Try booting on the Windows CD, at the initial screen (if it gets there) press Shift and F10 keys and you'll get a command prompt.

Then type DISKPART

do a LIST DISK and it will show you all the disks. Select the disk with SELECT DISK (x) where (x) is the number of the disk in the list (this is usually disk 0).

Then type CLEAN which will wipe the partition data off the drive.

At this point, you can continue the install but I usually do a CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY so the installer won't balk at the dissapearing logical device.

Also, on some really old drives and BIOS combinations, Windows required a driver to see the full capacity.

edit on 8/4/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

Thanks very much. Had forgotten about that site! 'Apprecieated...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hey all you techies here! Some of us are really amazed at the comptr knowledge.

I know tons about music theory and medicine...but about all I understand about "particians" say for example...is that thing my wife puts inbetween us in the bed. (Dog gets the middle)

Thanks for helping some of us learn new things!

Best MS

top topics

join