It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Winter Wallop - State of Emergency, NW Indiana

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My home town, Michigan City, Indiana was hit with up to 30 inches of snow on Sunday. I-94 was shut down for 3 hours, motorists were stranded and National Guard was called in. What a mess but people here are happy that we will have a white christmas.


Winter Wallop
State of emergency declared in LaPorte County


(WSBT) Indiana State Police closed Interstate 94 around Michigan City Sunday because snow plows couldn't keep up with the heavy snow near Lake Michigan. Department of Natural Resources officers on snowmobiles and National Guard units have been called in to help stranded motorists.

Police are having trouble getting around because there's snow a foot deep in the middle of the interstate.

Extremely cold air moving south across Lake Michigan dumped nearly 30 inches of snow on the northwestern Indiana city.

The Toll Road remains open, but police are warning people to avoid travel if possible. A state of emergency has been declared in LaPorte County.

That means motorists should not be on the roads unless there is an emergency or they absolutely have to.


www.wsbt.com...

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Ycon]




posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I remember the Blizzard of '78 here in the northeast, that shut down the state of Mass. for a week. My lady and I were living in a lakeside cottage, surrounded by like-minded young people. We had a pet Husky, and along with sled in tow, trudged to the local general store about 1 mile away to replenish supplies. Partied for a whole week. It was one of the best times of my life.

Good luck up there in Indy. Hope you're well supplied, and that the snow is all gone in time for the Indy 500.

Stay warm.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ycon
That sounds about right considering you are in the snow belt of NW Indiana.

Hell that is like living in the U.P. of michigan or in Bufflao. What do you expect living on the edge of large lake in winter? Surely not 80 degrees and sunny after all it is not florida is it?



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Ycon
That sounds about right considering you are in the snow belt of NW Indiana.

Hell that is like living in the U.P. of michigan or in Bufflao. What do you expect living on the edge of large lake in winter? Surely not 80 degrees and sunny after all it is not florida is it?


shots, yes I am use to the snow here in NW indiana but the last 4 or 5 years have been fairly light snow years and also we usually dont get that much snow dropped in less then a 12 hour period. This storm produced about 4 or so inches per hour, the plows could not keep up with it.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Did you know that the two worst blizzards in history occured within about 10 days of each other? This happened in 1978



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I say it's George Bush....in the Oval Office....with the Weather Machine. Don't mind me, I'm just having flashbacks of Clue.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Did you know that the two worst blizzards in history occured within about 10 days of each other? This happened in 1978


I remember a storm in this area about that time. I believe there were 4-5 foot drifts, was living next door to parents at the time, it was hard to walk through.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I say it's George Bush....in the Oval Office....with the Weather Machine. Don't mind me, I'm just having flashbacks of Clue.



LOL I dont think it is Bush, not this storm anyway. He might be cranking his weather machine up for the storm coming from the south on thursday the 23rd.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ycon

Extremely cold air moving south across Lake Michigan dumped nearly 30 inches of snow on the northwestern Indiana city.


You are so lucky! We were pretty lucky here today, it went down to about 10 and we got an inch of snow, but its going up to near 50 around mid-week.



posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac


You are so lucky! We were pretty lucky here today, it went down to about 10 and we got an inch of snow, but its going up to near 50 around mid-week.


Yes lucky to have a white christmas, but trapped on top a hill with 2 foot drifts on a 70 foot driveway and another storm headed this way on thursday. Tomorrow is suppose to get up to 42 so maybe some will melt before we get dumped on again.

I just love your avatar, spooky is so cute. Have a Merry Christmas



posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What happened to the other thread about severe winter weather? If it got moved, where did it go? I've been looking all over BTS as well as here.



posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The other thread is in the fragile earth forum

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like we will get 6" to a foot from that storm



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join