It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefight erupts between Afghan and NATO forces in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is breaking news, so there isn't much.

NATO and Afghan forces were engaged in a firefight with one another in the East of the country. One Afghan soldier is dead, but there are currently no reports of NATO casualties.

It is unclear how the firefight started, but a senior editor of an independent news outlet in Afghanistan said that there was an exchange of fire between US and ANA forces during a US ambassador's visit to a governer house in Jalalabad.

rt.com...
edit on 8-4-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hope all goes well for them!!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Genghis Khan could not even manage to hold on to Afghanistan or subjugate its populace. Same thing happened when the British tried to hold the place and again when the Soviets attempted occupation.

There is a lesson to be learned there methinks. That being leave those people alone, there culture never mind the geography of the land has retarded occupation for the best part of recorded history. They don't want our help or our democratic notion of government and as long as our troops, advisers and whoever else we send over there remain incidents like this are going to happen.

edit on 8-4-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I would say we have done as well as anyone, mainly because we are working with them rather than just subjugation.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
As Andy said above...

The subjugation of Afghanistan has failed for every Empire from Khanites, to Soviet Communistas, to British Imperialists, to U.S superpowers to NATO's combined best of the best...

Allah is the best of planners! (OC Andy never said that, that's my input
)

More on topic, wow, Afghan forces & NATO have been allies for over a decade...
This must be Taliban fighters wearing Afghan security force uniforms...

Sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing ambush.

I'll call it now, those uniforms belong to dead soldiers, and the Taliban infiltrated a protected area...

Kinda hope I'm right, not so I can say I told you so, but if it turns out its NATO & Afghan Forces warring, the instability of the region will rise tenfold.
edit on 8-4-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Well, thankfully we've got out already - I agreed with the mission statement of Afghan and largely with the way it was handled, but it does seem ultimately that it was a waste of time because as soon as we leave, it's going to slide back into the chaos it was before.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Show me the chaos prior to 9-11 & the illegal invasion, please Stu.

I always like to learn.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Didn't Alexander manage to take the region rather easily?

Also, the British failed on the first attempt (largely down to some idiotic decisions) but did a much better job the second time around and did subjugate them. A local regiment to me actually fought (and was pretty much wiped out) in the major battle in the First war.

The Soviets could have done a better job, given the amount of men they threw at it, but again, strategic decision making was poor and their general doctrine let them down.

I think the reputation of Afghanistan is actually far greater then the reality.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

We are in Afghanistan for its natural resources, nothing more, nothing less. The notion of working with them rather than subjugating the poor souls amounts to the same thing, that being control. Which as you can see is tenuous at best and non existent regarding certain areas of the country.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Show me the chaos prior to 9-11 & the illegal invasion, please Stu.

I always like to learn.

What?

Did you not pay attention to the the Afghan Civil war during the 1990's? The Taliban takeover? Even since the invasion - and it wasn't illegal Charlie, go look it up, it had full UNSC backing - Warlords have reigned supreme

Or does all history start in 2001, as many think around here?
edit on 8/4/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

That notion doesn't make sense - the largest, single benefactor to Afghanistan's resources is actually China.

Much like the hubbub often claimed over Iraq - it wasn't US companies that benefited, but largely other nations who didn't invade.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I'm not too up on Alexander to be honest...

But as a warrior I'd hardly consider him a subjugator.

He kept to treaties and such, more of a travelling warrior than a conquering warlord like Ghengis Khan, in my opinion of course.

I don't think anyone's reputation meets the demi-god standards applied to them, in all fairness...
Folklore will do that for the obvious "don't mess with us" reasons...

All empire fall eventually, usually through their own doing.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

LoL the Taliban didn't attack anyone until around August 11th...

One week after the illegal invasion (don't care what the UNSC have to say they are the father of Israel & Afghanistan had done nothing to warrant a mandated official declaration of war except sit upon oil and poppy fields)...

Taliban leader Mullah Omar's 10 year old boy was killed by an Alllied carpet bombing in Afghanstan, that caused the Taliban to rise up.

Omar was known as a rapist hanger, well loved...
& the people stood by his leadership.

The civil war is hardly the chaos implied...
Another word for civil war is revolution is it not.
edit on 8-4-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Im sure our nations will profit in one form or another no matter which way the Afghanistan pie is sliced up, or at least the bankers will. Otherwise what would have been the point of the exercise in the first place? Certainly not the notion of bringing democracy to the region and truth be told probably not hunting terrorists nether.

The people who orchestrate these occupations and invasions seldom do anything with out purpose. They generally have and end game.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

LoL the Taliban didn't attack anyone until around August 11th...

Apart from the many hundreds of thousands of women and girls routinely enslaved, raped and stoned to death by the regime, lets not forget them

The Taliban is a twisted cult, not unlike ISIS, and not unlike any other religiously mental group out there attempting to reign over a population.

Lets not pretend that religious dictatorship is something the people agree with, it isn't. Humans are on the whole against any form of totalitarian leadership and the inherent inequality it brings to their personal existence. Even if we hadn't been involved in these countries before, the people would have likely confronted these dictatorships themselves.

Go back through history and you will see that people regularly overthrow totalitarian religious regimes, it's part of the Human condition to want freedom and liberty (which ultimately comes from a semblance of democracy, which then evolves over time), regardless of the religious delusion holding power at any given time. There will always be factions fighting it, and there will always be revolutions to remove them.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Apart from the many hundreds of thousands of women and girls routinely enslaved, raped and stoned to death by the regime, lets not forget them

"hundreds of thousands"?

Is this CNN?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Your confusing tptb with the troops on the ground, I care about as many of my brothers and sisters in uniform coming home as whole as possible.

Our troops in many cases have worked hard to make connections with the people in Afghanistan.

In my opinion working with the locals as much as we have is a big reason for the amazingly low cascasualty figures for such a long occupation of this country.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: daaskapital

US solider killed, two wounded

My son says that this attack is something that is not uncommon. He says, the ANA would commonly point their weapons at them when they were unhappy at about anything. The American/NATO troops were blamed for everything by the ANA commanders including the time the ANA payroll was stolen by them.

I think that these attacks will become more frequent as our troop numbers are reduced or our departure is extended. The Taliban is playing a waiting game but can't resist an occasional attack. The longer we stay, the weaker the Taliban's position becomes and they don't like it!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Another incident last year.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join