It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I saw this on another board and though it appropriate to ask here.

If a Christian baker selling a gay couple a wedding cake means the Christian baker participated in a gay marriage, then does a Christian gun seller selling a gun to someone who then commits murder with that gun mean that the Christian gun seller participated in a murder?

(I hope I have this in the right forum)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Could be reckless endangerment to the seller.

a reply to: CryHavoc

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
here is another one.....Not unless the person buying the gun made it apparent to the Christian gun seller he was going to murder someone with it...Common Sense

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If he knows that the guy is going to murder someone with the gun then the answer is yes imo.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In that case if a Christian bakery refuses to sell cake at a gay couples wedding. Did they stop the wedding?

Or

If a Christian gun seller doesn't sell a gun to someone that commits suicide did they stop a murder?

edit on 7-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

AKA stupid question.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It's only a sin if you don't shoot a sodomite.
You know, logic and all.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
If a Christian cake baker, a gay cake baker, and a firearms dealer (you pick the niche) decide to just "let everyone eat cake" in the woods... Would they make a sound??

Who in the world cared who sold what to whom 10 years ago? Aside from the DEA, really nobody did.

This argument is getting almost as stale as cheap wedding cake.

I don't know if they would consider it the same or not but I sure do wish Rodney King was here to give his best ever one line of sage advice....

If you don't know it. Google it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

In the world of logical thinking, the question you pose presents an Affirming The Consequent logical fallacy.

Example:

If Bill Gates owns Fort Knox, then he is rich.
Bill Gates is rich.
Therefore, Bill Gates owns Fort Knox.

There isn't any value in answering the question, because it isn't based in a logical framework.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Now a question for the OP. If a person is tremendously overweight and full of cholesterol and someone sells him a doughnut , he eats it and dies of a heart attack , is the person that sold the doughnut guilty of second degree murder ?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
I saw this on another board and though it appropriate to ask here.

If a Christian baker selling a gay couple a wedding cake means the Christian baker participated in a gay marriage, then does a Christian gun seller selling a gun to someone who then commits murder with that gun mean that the Christian gun seller participated in a murder?

(I hope I have this in the right forum)

Throw the word "Knowingly" in there and you have your answer.

If a gun seller "knowingly" sells a weapon to an individual they Know is going to commit a murder then yes. They have actively become involved in the crime / action (I think they would call it conspiracy to commit).

I can assume this is the same deal. They do want to Knowingly be involved in something they believe to be wrong.

Love it hate it, everyone's moral compass is different. Pr-marital sex would get you booted out of a church let alone unmarried couples living together like we see as common place today.

If I am not mistaken (not catholic), the Catholic church was completely against Birth Control and Divorce / re-marriage.
edit on 8-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
So some christian baker is going to put a gun into a cake to sell to a gay couple?

Time to go to sleep I think.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Also see this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Isn't every cake a Christian bakery sells contributing to someone's gluttony?

Why do they care about one so called sin and not the other?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Meh.. more pointless firstworld problems ...

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Throw the word "Knowingly" in there and you have your answer.

Thanks infolurker!

originally posted by: kruphix
Isn't every cake a Christian bakery sells contributing to someone's gluttony?

And isn't any Christian restaurant or grocery store that sells bacon or pork chops contributing to sin?

Lucky for them that Jesus would forgive them.
edit on 8-4-2015 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

The clear difference is "foreseeable intent".

The cake would have one intended purpose.

The gun sale has many possible purposes.

The cake is perishable and the gun can change hands dozens of times for example.

But the comparison is interesting and provocative indeed.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
In the world of logical thinking, the question you pose presents an Affirming The Consequent logical fallacy.

Incorrect.

Recall his query:

originally posted by: CryHavoc

If you break down his post into logical statements, you wind up with this:

If (a Christian baker selling a gay couple a wedding cake) implies (the Christian baker participated in gay marriage)
Then (a Christian gun seller selling a gun to someone who then commits murder with that gun) implies (the Christian gun seller participated in murder)

if (person selling item) implies (participation in activity item is used in)
then (person selling item) implies (participation in activity item is used in)

If pq
Then pq

e: some clarification - this is not really a logical argument but rather a question. There are no assertions as to whether p or q are true or false.
edit on 0Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:26:14 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago4 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Romans 14:1-ESV

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.

Matthew 15:11 ESV

It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

1 Timothy 4:1-5 ESV

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

Romans 14:20 ESV

Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.

Romans 14:14-23 ESV

I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.

Acts 15:28-29 ESV

For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”

Colossians 2:16-17 ESV

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Mark 7:17-20
And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.) And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him.

new topics

top topics

join