It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: We’ll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

My local MacDonald's is also aware of Alien Existence, I've searched after reading your post and not a single "ET Burger" or anything!

Which would be relevant if indeed McDonalds were in the space exploration business and not in the shoving burgers down the fat public's faces business.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

This sounds reasonable, as there is probably life within our solar system. We could look on asteroids, comets, moons and planets for starters. There could be life on Mars, for instance.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I am only OK with alien life provided it doesn't have teeth, doesn't like blood, want the planets water or resources and if quiet (though will accept good bands like what I am listening to New Order Blue Monday) Oh yes and not too big.

I get queasy when people talk about other humanoids because I know what some people can get up to on this planet without the dregs and power seekers from others dropping in for a Hi-how-r-ya? Whatchagot???

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Generally speaking state of the art technology usually runs about 10 to 20 years ahead of what is not classified today.

First, that statement makes no sense. Next, if you are implying that the technology currently available to NASA has greater capabilities than the public is allowed to know (it doesn't) what do you think it means?

Actually it is true in relation to Classified technology and NASA does have access to that.

In relation to my experiences it make perfect sense and has in all probability always been that way, since the days of Roman Empire.
edit on 8-4-2015 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm more inclined to believe the purpose of non-disclosure is to keep us divided (Controlled) and once it becomes common knowledge that we as a species are only one of many, we'll stop behaving as "US vs Them" on a planetary scale....
"Black vs White, U.S.A vs Russia , Christian vs Muslim etc" and become "US vs Them" on a Universal scale, Earth vs Whoever.....
instead of being Xenophobic towards our neighbors over seas, we'll join as one race " We Humans" and become Xenophobic towards our neighbors across space, lol

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
well isnt it nice of NASA to provide the discovery right around the time the breakaways are to leave in 2036.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gottaknow
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Is this the aspect you're referring to?: www.redicecreations.com...

I don't know about that site's rep, but this is definitely interesting.

Yes, that is it. I have heard those same words from Levin speaking in a documentary, so the story is legitimate.

It also follows the same pattern that NASA has followed for decades. They refuse to confront any kind of life being anywhere near or far and they always play down any discoveries. That scientists is good for his word on that.

If this is not true then it confirms that NASA hires only non credible scientists and when they do something against NASA's "don't do" list they are then subjected to discrediting and character assassination which always follows. Just like they try to do with some astronauts that talk too much.

Getting on a scientific team and leading missions requires being a very credible and accomplished person, so when NASA tries to discredit those they have previously hired because of things the persons is now saying reveals quite a lot about the ethics of NASA in general.
edit on 8-4-2015 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Everybody has their opinion, even scientists, but I personally think we're a couple hundred years away from finding ET life, if there is any close enough to find. And I mean little microbes and stuff, not Vulcans.

But I can see where NASA might want to stir the pot a little to keep the funding going. Their batting record on finding non-Earth based life so far has been .000.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In 10 or 20 years nobody will remember this statement anyway.

Sounds like they want more money.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Everybody has their opinion, even scientists, but I personally think we're a couple hundred years away from finding ET life, if there is any close enough to find. And I mean little microbes and stuff, not Vulcans.

But I can see where NASA might want to stir the pot a little to keep the funding going. Their batting record on finding non-Earth based life so far has been .000.

You do see that NASA scrubs photographs for UFO's and oddoties right?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
well isnt it nice of NASA to provide the discovery right around the time the breakaways are to leave in 2036.

Interesting connection. I wonder if by then it'll be simple microbe life that's found, or higher life forms?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

The current Theory is that several moons the orbit Jupiter and Saturn have oceans beneath their icy surface (including Titan).

Potentially we could find life at these locations similar to the life we have found in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

In terms of why, it has a lot to do with the fact these moons are orbiting planets the size of Jupiter and Saturn.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
statistically there are a billion planets in our galaxy alone that might harbor earth like conditions. any microbial life in our solar system alone would imply that all of those worlds are likely to have life and that all of those worlds have been evolving their own species, and the extinction events that happen.

in my opinion this means that there is a very high plausibility that every single one of those worlds harbor intelligent life.
Even
earth has several life forms that is as intelligent or even more intelligent then humans are, and all they lack are opposable thumbs and the means to create technology. i.E. dolphins, Elephants, Rats, a number of species of birds etc...

the fast distances between the stars however, are likely to be, and stay the major issue for any intelligent life to be able to make first contact.

However... the myths, legends and religious scriptures are filled with Angels , demons and gods that are actually alien life and not from this Earth. There must be some truth to that.

My two cents.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You guys ought to check out some of the stuff I post on the Space Exploration forum. I've covered a lot of the questions you brought up.

In short, the reason why scientists at NASA and elsewhere are confident we may find life within the next 20 years is because we've found among other things:

1) Life on Earth started fairly soon after the Earth cooled down. (implying it wasn't that hard to get going).

2) The ingredients which make up life, including water are abundant throughout our galaxy and universe beyond.

3) NASA's Kepler spacecraft and exoplanet research in general has found a number of planets which are not too hot and not too cold for life as we know it.

3a) The using data from NASA's Kepler mission as well as ground based observatories the frequency of planets similar to the Earth is as a conservative estimate around 22% for stars like our Sun. Other studies suggest the number may be quite higher with there being on average of two for just about every star. Either way, that's between 50 and 200 billion planets like the Earth in our Milky Way galaxy alone.

4) Several nearby exoplanets may have conditions similar to our Earth. Two new space telescopes, TESS (2017) and James Webb (2018) may tell us for sure.

5) With the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope and the construction of several 30 meter and larger size ground telescopes, for the first time in history we will have the ability to remotely detect the atmospheric signatures of life on planets around other stars. If life is common, then we'll be able detect it on a nearby exoplanet.

edit on 9-4-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: yuppa

Interesting connection. I wonder if by then it'll be simple microbe life that's found, or higher life forms?

If I were guessing...

Microbes and/or forests on an exoplanet first.

Higher forms of life later with the availability of better equipment, telescopes, search algorithms, etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

And to definitively answer one of the most profound questions humankind has had for eons, don't you think they should get it?

As it is now, there are already several future telescopes which will be able to potentially detect life on a nearby planet which have been funded but there is so much more which could be found say with a larger version of Hubble (10-20 meters instead of 2.4 meters) and a starshade.

Something like that could detect the spectrographic signatures of life and even potentially detect artificial light on the night side of a nearby exoplanet.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Also check out this thread I just posted over in the Space Exploration forum.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Actually it is true in relation to Classified technology and NASA does have access to that.

In relation to my experiences it make perfect sense and has in all probability always been that way, since the days of Roman Empire.

Repeating a statement does not make it true. Can you provide an example of "classified" or "secret" technology that was made public after twenty years?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

No it wasn't flawed at all, that is just the story being pushed for plausibility.

Are you an expert in remote sensing or biochemistry? I assume you must be one or the other in order to have a better informed opinion of the experimental design.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: bullcat

And to definitively answer one of the most profound questions humankind has had for eons, don't you think they should get it?

As it is now, there are already several future telescopes which will be able to potentially detect life on a nearby planet which have been funded but there is so much more which could be found say with a larger version of Hubble (10-20 meters instead of 2.4 meters) and a starshade.

Something like that could detect the spectrographic signatures of life and even potentially detect artificial light on the night side of a nearby exoplanet.

We have been processing their data collectively world wide for free, even adverts delivered on some of the BIONIC clients, you telling me they don't have the necessary computing power? Perhaps the NSA computers should get involved also.

As for telescopes, and costs, how about working world wide sharing resources, beyond what they do today reducing their money spent on wars and evilness around the world, then NASA wouldn't have to go begging for money.

YOUR PRIORITIES ARE FECKED UP. Please don't lecture us on this when you have your priorities butt backwards.

Your focus lays in wars. Just look at your budgets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join