It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bin laden May Be Changing Tactics: Saudi Arabia In The Crosshairs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Osama bin Laden may be setting his sights once again on his homeland Saudi Arabia. His latest message is the first directed at citizens of the kingdom for the first time in years. It comes as Saudi security forces have been clamping down with an aggressive anti insurgent campaign. In a web statements, he called on all Mujahedeen to strike any and all oil facilities that does not serve Islam.

story.news.yahoo.com
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Osama bin Laden's latest message, his first directed specifically at Saudis in years, has been widely seen as an attempt to show he is still a player in his homeland despite a security clampdown that has sharply limited al-Qaida's field for terrorist operations in the conservative kingdom.

The message, released Thursday, was issued after powerful blows by Saudi security to bin-Laden's supporters in the oil-rich country, where security forces have made inroads in weakening the insurgency both with arrests and anti-insurgency campaign that undercut support for the militants.

At the same time, however, bin Laden's audiotape followed up on an al-Qaida show of strength in the country two weeks ago. Five militants attacked the U.S. consulate in Riyadh and stormed into the inner courtyard, firing guns, grabbing human shields and killing five people. Four of the attackers were killed and one was wounded in an ensuing battle with Saudi forces. No Americans were killed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Im not surprised that he has changed tactics. Clearly the attacks of 911 failed to anticipate American action. With the U.S. aggressively taking the fight to him instead of waiting for another attack, change was needed. Oil is the Wests soft underbelly and Bin laden knows it. If he can topple the house of Saud, the kingdom would become his ideal Islamic state. One with a modern military, and the oil reserves to wreak havoc on the economies of the West. Add the official religion of the kingdom, Wahhabism, and you have the potential trigger for the third world war.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be taken as a sign of desperation on his part?

When was it last week or the week before he asked for attacks on Iraq oil now he is asking for attacks on his own country. Hmm sounds like another sadam insane to me.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Toppling the house of Saud was and is his endgame goal. IMO Bin Laden misjudged Arab reaction to 911 when they failed to revolt in large numbers immediately after 911 while things were chaotic.

The failure of the arab "street" to rise up gave us the needed time to take the battle to him. As long as the west maintains the initiative Bin Laden's al Qaida can only respond to our strategy. This effort on oil infrastructure is aimed at regaining lost initiative but is doomed to failure because the powers that be will spare no resource to protect their cash cow.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A book I read a while back, Sleeping with the Devil, highlights the easy at which the Saudi Oil production could be destroyed. Its just a few sites to be hit and Saudi production would cease for 60-90 days. The wells would still be there, but thier ability to get it out of the country would be crippled. The House of Saud stays in power because they have the money to do so. Take that away, and its the end of the world as we know it.

For better or more likely for the worse we have made our bed with the Saudi Royal family and thier money and influence is deeply rooted in Washington. After AIPAC, they may have the most influence. The Carlyle groups is by and large bankroled by the Saudi's, Most major politicos from both parties end up there. Coincidence? I think not

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I just asked myself if Bin Laden may changed his tactics or let's better say his focus as he already won against the USA

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
FredT. If OBL has an extra couple of nukes would he use it to take out the Saudi Oil fields? It would render the fields useless for thousands of years. Think of what would happen to the world economy.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Its is hard to understand why he stopped his pursue of taking the Saud house that was more achievable than going after the US, now he lost his changes in Saudi, now he got US mad at him.

Perhaps he was not that smart after all.

If he had taken hold of the oil in Saudi, he would have been able to do more damage.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I would assume he pretty much got what he wanted. Compare the USA to before 2001 and nowadays. Which days were better?
(and this isn't targeting at Bush - more at the general atmosphere)

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Osama's disdain for the House of Saud is not entirely new. I find it startling that he is now directing his forces to attack the oil infrastructure. That's a real specific target, unlike much of what has been said before.

Osama's hate for the House of Saud has gone back just as far as his hate for the US. When he formed Al Qaeda 2 of the goals were to rid the Arabian penninsula of American soldiers, and to topple the Saudi monarchy for allowing westerners to take up a military presence in the land of the 2 holy places.

Osama's hatred for the US and Saudi royal family is intricately intertwined.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
FredT. If OBL has an extra couple of nukes would he use it to take out the Saudi Oil fields

I doubt if he did he would go there. DC and NY would be more likely. Actually, just hitting a few facilities would cripple Saudi production and EVERY OPEC country is just as vulnerable. This is why Bush has been pumping millions of barrels into the SPR. No doubt he is helping the oil companies too by buying the crude, but there is a real strategic advantage to it. The U.S. has 6 months or so in reserve. That would be enuf to weather any real loss of oil till production got going again. However, never nver underestimate the psychology of such an event. Remember that the great depression was as much a psycohlogical event as the actuall events that caused it

new topics

top topics

join