It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Boeing Wants to Make Sure Your Comfy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:22 AM
Boeing was recently granted a patent for a sleeping aid device that looks like a backpack and attaches to your airline chair and allow you to sleep in an upright position while traveling. Boeing calls it a "Transport vehicle upright sleep support system". I'm not sure it would help me sleep on a plane but I wouldn't mind giving it a try some time.

An upright sleep support system incorporates a head cushion having a face relief aperture to receive the eyes, nose, mouth and chin of a passenger placing his or her face against the head cushion with a hinged support structure for angular adjustment, sleeves that open in front to support the passengers arms, and a chest cushion on the back of the device. The chest cushion receives the passenger's chest in a forward leaning position. The head cushion is deployable from a backpack and the chest cushion is integrated into the back of the backpack.

I refuse to call it a cuddle seat though.......

edit on 7-4-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:50 AM
The sandwich seat would be more like it and if it cost more than $0.50 it'll never happen. Not to mention there's not enough room between the seats for anything anyway. Looks like a summer intern keep em working thing.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:53 AM
Never had problem sleeping on aircraft .. actually got my best sleep on them .. think they better redesign .. that looks very uncomfortable ...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:03 AM
I absolutely cannot sleep on planes, ever. The longest flights ive been on are around 10 hours - it doesn't matter the time of the flight or how tired i might feel, simply cant.

Regardless of how silly this might be or look id try it out, why not!!! (I did have to check this wasnt posted up on april the 1st, i admit hehehe)

One thing does spring to mind, if you have a window seat and need to pee really bad and the seats between you and the isle have sleeping passengers in using these, getting past without waking them would be impossible, its fairly difficult as it is now not to mention extremely dodgy if you try to pass someone and they wake up to your butt in their face

Sigh, if only i was little person i would try and get a cheap space in the over head for a nice lay-down flight! Im sure theres some good reason airlanes dont have horizontal sleeping "tubes", eating for example would be impossible. laying down i think would be the only real way for me to attempt a half decent sleep on an aircraft - and after a beer or 3 too

Lets not even get started on those plus sized people with fat overflowing into other seat space who pay the same ticket - id like to see a jumbo get booked up with ONLY massively over weight people booked on it and wait to hear what the pilot says when they are too heavy to take off!!! But thats another rant for another time

edit on b08081115 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:16 AM
I guess I don't fly often enough, every time I do I'm too glued to the window looking at the view to even think about sleeping lol. I don't think I would ever get bored with that.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:17 AM
a reply to: Biigs

I'm with ya here. I've never slept on an airplane. The longest I've been on was about 13 hours and it left at 2am local time. 36 hours straight no sleep on that day, so yeah, I would try this.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:20 AM
a reply to: caterpillage

It can get boring when it's a night flight over the ocean and there is nothing to see out the window anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:45 AM
a reply to: Sammamishman

Absolutely this:

When I fly regional during the daytime, I'm glued to the window like a 29 year-old kid. As cheesy as it sounds, I love this country, considerable warts and all, and I'm just fascinated by how mindbogglingly gigantic and varied it is. The idea that I can't and won't ever be able to see more than a relatively tiny fraction of it in my lifetime makes me that much more interested in taking in what I can from 35,000 and trying to imagine what the entire lifetimes of people down there might be like.

That said, I can sleep like a baby on a plane when I want to, which is perfect for night flights over the ocean. When I went to Iceland last fall, there wasn't nothing to be seen over the North Atlantic at 1AM local time.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:50 AM
I'd give it a try. I've never been able to sleep on airplanes either.

The only time I ever pulled it off was on a red eye coming back from Hawaii to los angeles. I was sitting in the very. very back row of a DC-10 in the center isle with a family divided into the seats on both sides. Parents on one end of the center isle their 4-6 year olds on the other side of me, climbing all over me.

So I got up went to he bathrooms, and found one where the toilet seat lined up perfectly with the sink. I locked my self in there. Put the seat lid down. Sat on it and rested my head on the sink counter and slept in there for about 2 hours. Woke up exited to see a line of confused passengers waiting for the restrooms, probably wondering what I was doing in there for two hours.

But that's the only time I've managed to sleep on a plane.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
there is a physical reason why people lie down to sleep. it allows the body to stretch out so that all parts of the body get adequate circulation during sleep. the heart slows down as well as everything else, exception for digestion. the rest and regeneration of body tissues is essential during sleep. sitting up and slumped slightly forward for sleep, is NOT sleep.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:07 PM
I don't think I'd try that device, I can sleep anywhere when I know I'm stuck there for X many hours. I've slept easily on most flights, had a few amazing sleeps on planes with the middle aisle empty and the attendants said it was ok for me to stretch out with the armrests up for the next 8 hours or so. I've even slept on the roof of a bus in Laos for 6-7 hours when the seats designed for Asian leg sizes meant my knees were pressed uncomfortably against the seat in front, and in any case, the goats and chickens were a bit smelly so the roof luggage was well more attractive lol.

Police cells? First thing I do is lay down and shut my eyes instead of counting wall tiles and getting really bored, yep, I'll sleep pretty much anywhere and especially on the average comfy airline seat.
I think people whinge too much about the conditions on airplanes and trying to sleep, try a 3rd class Thai overnight train with no seating haha, that is an intimate experience.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:06 PM
Does Boeing really want to do the job? Boeing listen very carefully.
1. DONOT fit reclining seats. They only encroach on others space as the ones reclining now are just minimal recline (about 3 inches) and are totally useless.
2. Make the seat throw 36 inches minimum. Then you can stretch your legs out.
3. Make the seats 24 inches minimum width. That will stop all you thin people bitching as a 24 inch seat width would be super luxery for you but just comfortable to fat people.
4. Make the aisle width suitable so that IF your foot is outside your seat the trolley dollies are not constantly running over your foot.
5. The ultimate one,stop bitching about fat people and luggage being heavy. The planes are designed and built with this weight factor in mind. The ONLY reason you don't like it is because the heavier the plane the more fuel you use, it has nothing to do with safety and all to do with your profits.
The overall answer to all of the above is Boeing dosn't give a hoot about your comfort, make the seats narrower, smaller leg throw and smaller aisles all the more to pack more cattle in. Ergo, more profit. So don't come the BS.
edit on 7-4-2015 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:04 PM
a reply to: crayzeed

Meh, first world problems, I want as cheap as I can get if I'm flying so if an airline had a 3rd class cabin packed like sardines and no seats I'd probably choose it if it was cheap as, then just freshen up at my destination.
A few hours of my life for the amazing experience it is to travel the world...billions of people would love to be able to travel around the world as I can, I think it is lame that we who can travel the world even actually bitch about the 'conditions' lol we know what we're getting for our money, go First/Business class instead then...billions in the world only dream of being able to afford economy or 'budget' airlines.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:51 PM
a reply to: grainofsand

That reply made me think of 18th century slave ships with people in horizontal stacks ...facing the little windows, of course... .with stewardesses weaving through the ocean of shoes.

I just yearn for the black ops air tech to trickle down (or a good non burnable, faster zeppelin design) and thus we may cruise the skies as we were meant to... in huge skyliners with floors of super-strong transparent material or projections... with plush seating, wide aisles, pools, ballrooms and smoking lounges.

Stuck in a blood clot creating zig-zag with smelly strangers fidgeting nanometers away is no way to fly!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:55 PM
How about instead of reducing the size between rows of seats to cram more people into the plane, they make the planes a little bigger in future generations?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:04 PM
Alert me when they have horizontal beds with optional sleeping gas.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:02 PM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Both of those cost money that the airlines don't want to spend.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:55 PM

I would be lying if I said my first thought wasn't April Fools Joke.

Cuddle seat

This truly has an air of Onion News about it !

Reminds me of the 'Feedbag'

edit on 142845814504bTue, 07 Apr 2015 20:55:45 -0500pmthu04u45 by UmbraSumus because: of typo

edit on 142845817004bTue, 07 Apr 2015 20:56:10 -0500pmthu04u10 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

edit on 142845820704bTue, 07 Apr 2015 20:56:47 -0500pmth0000000400000047 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

edit on 142845925004bTue, 07 Apr 2015 21:14:10 -0500pmth0000000400000010 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:58 PM

I'll pay $2500 on a long haul to get the DVT Special thanks travel agent.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:51 AM
a reply to: glend

BA Business Class with free booze in departures lounge and on-board is as near as damn:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>