It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In key swing states, weed is polling better than all potential 2016 candidates

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In key swing states, weed is polling better than all potential 2016 candidates

So I briefly considered putting this thread in the 2016 election forum, but then decided against it since the comparison made in the article is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Though, like the article, I think it is an important point to make in regards to this coming election and the article and I will elaborate on that below. But first up, let's get to the meat and potatoes of the article:

In three key swing states, marijuana legalization is more popular than any potential 2016 presidential contender. That's according to a Quinnipiac University poll conducted in March.

More than 80 percent of adults in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida support medical marijuana, according to the survey. Fifty one percent of Pennsylvanians, 52 percent of Ohioans and 55 percent of Floridians also support legalizing small amounts of marijuana for personal use.

Here is the graphic that came along with the article:

What's funny is that even in Florida, home of Rubio and Bush, marijuana is still poling better than the candidates.

Home-state favorites Bush and Rubio poll better in Florida, but they're still running 8 to 13 points behind recreational marijuana.

Now the article does point out that this isn't a valid comparison to make since you are comparing an issue with people, but it is still worth looking at and here's why. These states are all swing states. They are the states that Presidential candidates pander to the most since they are the ones that can determine their election chances. Marijuana is important to all of these states. Therefore marijuana should be an issue that all of the candidates discuss if they want a chance of being voted for in those states. Gone are the days where candidates could pretend like this was just some fringe issue that can be laughed away. It's going to be front and center for the next election, and the candidates that recognize this quicker will end up with the edge going into 2016.

All of which adds up to the fact that marijuana will be a mainstream election issue that 2016 candidates will need to grapple with, according to John Hudak of the Brookings Institution. Some Republicans are eager to frame the topic as a states-rights issue, while others, like Rand Paul, approach it from the standpoint of criminal justice reform and fiscal responsibility. Democrats can capitalize on the issue to reach out to their young voter base and engage them on questions of social and racial justice.

Overall, Hudak concludes that "in some ways marijuana policy is the perfect issue for a presidential campaign. It has far reaching consequences that both parties have reason to engage." While it won't rise to the level of a litmus test issue for most voters, candidates won't be able to avoid talking about it -- or they'll do so at their own peril.

edit on 7-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Wow.

I'm actually really impressed that people are 90% on board with medical and 51% or so with recreational. This means the wine model is not likely to succeed after the ballot passes, so any kind of legislation will have mirror what Colorado has done.

~Tenth

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

To be honest, medical marijuana shouldn't even be a discussion anymore. It should just be an accepted fact that needs to just be written into law.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

To be honest, medical marijuana shouldn't even be a discussion anymore. It should just be an accepted fact that needs to just be written into law.

That Should Have Been into Law from the Start!!! (Silver Lining is: We got Pineapple Express ) lol

Regards,

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I still wonder who is against medical pot?

Who is that 10-20%?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Add it to the list along with not reauthorizing the Patriot Act and ending the "War on Drugs."

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Who is that 10-20%?

Same people who buy margarine over butter, think bread is healthier then bacon, supports MADD and anyone over the age of 45. Basically people who grew up from 1950 - 1980's and are in their retiring years. The same people who have screwed this generation out of progression for the last 20 some odd years.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Who is that 10-20%?

Maybe the same people that had "drugs are bad" drilled into them by our schools and government for their entire childhood.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Same people who buy margarine over butter, think bread is healthier then bacon, supports MADD and anyone over the age of 45. Basically people who grew up from 1950 - 1980's and are in their retiring years. The same people who have screwed this generation out of progression for the last 20 some odd years.

We are now on the way though.
I think the internet has changed so much in such a short time and we are only seeing the opening stages of how vastly it's changes us. I mean youtube is only 10 years old... Smart phones, social media... ATS of course haha..

The spread of information. Truth is bubbling up.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Who is that 10-20%?

I'm 48, I use marijuana, I am pro medical and recreational use. I didn't screw your generation. You must be young so I will let your ignorance slide.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Who is that 10-20%?

People bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical industry and their useful idiots.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Exactly. Before marijuana was criminalized, cannabis oil was used quite regularly in various medicines and treatments.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Add it to the list along with not reauthorizing the Patriot Act and ending the "War on Drugs."

HERE HERE! Though those issues don't have nearly the same level of support that legalizing medical marijuana has for it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
here in Texas, the law change before the legislation is for universal legality....." we don't think God made a mistake when He made hemp......and He doesn't need us people to fix that."........gonna make it just plain legal all the way......

edit on 7-4-2015 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I dare anyone to say that a six foot tall pot plant couldn't do a better job as president
edit on 7-4-2015 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: americanbuffalo1

Who is that 10-20%?

I'm 48, I use marijuana, I am pro medical and recreational use. I didn't screw your generation. You must be young so I will let your ignorance slide.

There is always the exception in all assumptions and statistics.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I wasn't before... But man that sounds like a great idea! I feel like a 6 foot tall pot plant would be a MUCH better President than any of those candidates.

Be an end to grid lock as we know it. President Pot Plant would just have to offer up one of its flowers and everyone would get a long again.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

A Literal Government Plant. lol

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Mary Jane for President.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Medical marijuana almost passed in Utah of all places.

Legalize drugs, as it all comes down to personal choice and control of the people.

Get rid of the DEA and the expensive War on Drugs. Neither work, are corrupt and costly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join