It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Bans ‘Operational’ Guns At NRA Convention For Security Reasons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
addictinginfo.org

The NRA, America’s largest gun lobbying group, is planning to hold its annual convention this week in Nashville. According to planners, over 70,000 proud good guys (and girls) with guns are expected to show up. As always, attendees will hear talks from celebrities, politicians, former Alaskan half-term governors, and gun-rights advocates, while a massive arena will be filled with vendors.

Oddly, the NRA has decided that it wouldn’t feel safe allowing 70,000 people packing heat to mill about. According to local paper The Tennessean, the organization put together a plan that they say will keep people safe – namely, “no guns.”

A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed, and any guns purchased during the NRA convention will have to be picked up at a Federal Firearms License dealer, near where the purchaser lives, and will require a legal identification.

In other words: no working guns on the property and required registration procedures for all gun purchases.

I am a gun owner, just thought that this was interesting and figured I'd see what ATS thinks about the NRA's reluctance to be around functioning firearms.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
A bit ironic to say the least !!

but maybe some government agencies are worried about a mass organized revolt.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Seems like a good idea, I know people won't like it and it seems a little ironic that it is at a NRA event.

But ya 70k people strolling around with functioning guns sounds like an easy way for something to go wrong.

ETA: So I guess they can still bring them, just gotta have the firing pin out. One hell of an inspection line I bet.

Probably obamas fault.

edit on thTue, 07 Apr 2015 01:20:14 -0500America/Chicago420151480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The NRA has is being run by progressive scum bags at this point. They are not fighting the good fight anymore. Liberty is slowly giving way to apathy.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The NRA was taken over by the liberals Long ago.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Lmao ... guess they dont trust their own members with weapons after all .. says alot about the state of responsible gun ownership ..

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
According to this source the NRA held their convention last year at a establishment that bans firearms also.

In anticipation of this years event a member sent an email Asking Music City center its policies. This was their reply........

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the NRA event. The State of TN 2009 Public Acts, Chapter 428 prohibits the carrying of weapons in Public parks and civic centers. In addition any weapon purchased during the show may not be carried out but has to be shipped. I hope that this will not discourage you from attending as it is a fantastic event and Nashville is a great place to visit.

Then at the bottom was another added announcement.

During the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

So the ban on firearms is being imposed at Music City Center and Bridgestone Arena only except with the proper permiting. So pretty much the original source falls in line with most other gun grabbing articles. It's half the truth surrounded by a large amount of ideology and indignation doused in the proper amount of irony.

The IRA seems to only be following the applicable laws in Tennessee.

source
edit on 7-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Interesting find, thanks.

I guess the main difference is requiring the dealers to remove the firing pins then (and the pickup with ID rather than shipping the purchases).

edit on 7-4-2015 by Elton because: added stuff.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I wonder actually how hard it is to find a major convention center or arena without a gun free policy.

The email reply only stated that they will not be able to carry their purchases out of the building. So they will have to be shipped.

Tennessee allows private purchase of firearms, I think that the shipping only stipulation is what requires the permiting.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

The Tanner gun show in Denver does not require firing pins to be removed.
Nor do they require pickup at a different location.
They also allow firearms, but they don't fit 70,000 at once!!!

So I'm not sure about huge halls, but the firing pin and pickup thing is what I thought stuck out.

edit on 7-4-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

If they want a fully-armed society, it seems like a missed opportunity at best. Double-standard at worse.

I guess it comes down to PR, liability and responsibility...all three of which would be the NRA's if anyone misbehaved.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Oh no, all those poor gun fanatics. Not allowed to walk around a crowded event with there locked & ready highly modified AR-15's.

Must just be a conspiracy by those pesky little liberals to steal all your guns.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I don't know. One of the NRA's selling slogan-ish thing to say is "If everyone had a gun, the safer you are." Or something to that effect.

I'll go as far as to say Best case, they look like hypocrites. Worse case they look like Dishonest, Hypocritical, 2 faced clowns by not practicing what they preach.

I think this horrible in terms of image. Nobody media wise is going to care and they'll make excuses but be honest, this makes them look stupid and doubt everything they say even more.

Is there any institution that you can think of that is known nationally that hasn't or isn't completely full of sh*t??? Cause anymore, I can't think of any.
edit on 7-4-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Should come as no surprise. The NRA is a gun cult--they just want your money. They don't give a damn about your rights, and they never have.

If they thought it necessary to take up political activism to protect their 2nd Amendment right, it seems to me that that would have been the time to implement the course of action suggested by said amendment.

If they really thought they were in jeopardy of losing their guns, they would have used them. Instead, they became lobbyists and lost themselves in the easy money of politics.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

They aren't reluctant. This to me seems like the same as no guns in courthouses. Just because guns aren't bad doesn't mean you shouldn't be wise.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This isn't news.

Nearly every gun show you will ever go to will have some kind of rule about function, ammunition, or the method of carry.

For insurance purposes the rules are usually imposed by the convention center or facility they use. At SHOT Show, the largest gun show in the nation, no functional firearms may be brought, and no one is allowed to carry POWs.

I just went to a gun show recently, a small one at the local National Guard Armory, and they had the rules posted on the door and they did safety checks on every gun that went in.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

They should have the National Organization for Women convention in Riyadh.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Don't gun shoes usually draw the same size crowds?

And those guns are certainly functional..

Oh NRA, the irony is palpable.

~Tenth

a reply to: projectvxn

Just saw this post. That makes much more sense and I'm not surprised that's the norm.
edit on 4/7/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Not a surprise the right wing is famous for being hypocritical.
edit on Tue April 7th, 2015 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I was thinking "I don't think I've ever been to a show that didn't have some hoops to jump though."

The idea with no guns in majorly crowded areas comes down too 1 major safety factor.

How can you use a gun effectively without hitting an innocent when most of the time the crowds are very very dense. It's a rare occasion to have a clear shot both in front of and behind your target at a major event.

In Michigan it's any place with obviously more then 2500 people your not allowed to carry in. That's doesn't mean I need to count everyt one everywhere I go but if it's obvious and I get caught its my fault for sure. Sound logic Imo.

edit on 7-4-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join