It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reality shattering quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Quotes that will blow your mind

This is the place for them

Share your favorite reality shattering quotes.

"Do the bees know they make the honey for you, or do they work tirelessly because they think it is their own choice?"

"You're gonna die, Arnie. Someday you will face that moment. And at that moment you will face either complete nonexistence, or you will face something even stranger. On an actual day in the future, Arnie, you will be in the unimaginable. It is physically impossible to avoid it."

"I don't know very much about other dimensions and all that. I'm an old school Catholic. I believe in Hell. I believe that it's more than just murderers and rapists down there. I believe in demons and worms, vile # in the grease trap of the Universe. And the more I think about it, the more I think that it's not just some place down there. Oh no, that it's right here with us. We just can't perceive it. It's kinda like the country music radio station. It's out there in the air, even if you don't tune into it."

-John Dies at the End

“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...” ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

“Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone.”
― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

“After a while the Senior Wrangler said, "Do you know, I read the other day that every atom in your body is changed every seven years? New ones keep getting attached and old ones keep on dropping off. It goes on all the time. Marvelous, really."

The Senior Wrangler could do to a conversation what it takes quite thick treacle to do to the pedals of a precision watch.

"Yes? What happens to the old ones?" said Ridcully, interested despite himself.

"Dunno. They just float around in the air, I suppose, until they get attached to someone else."

The Archchancellor looked affronted.

"What, even wizards?"

"Oh, yes. Everyone. It's part of the miracle of existence."

"Is it? Sounds like bad hygiene to me," said the Archchancellor. "I suppose there's no way of stopping it?"

"I shouldn't think so," said the Senior Wrangler, doubtfully. "I don't think you're supposed to stop miracles of existence."

"But that means everythin' is made up of everythin' else," said Ridcully.

"Yes. Isn't it amazing?”
― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

"In my 30-year history in the Drug Enforcement Administration and related agencies, the major targets of my investigations almost invariably turned out to be working for the CIA." Dennis Dayle, former chief of an elite DEA enforcement unit.[1]

edit on 6-4-2015 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

"The best thing about life is it will end." ~ Lou Baldin

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel" - Maya Angelou

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think this statement shattered the perceived reality of the time at least.

This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final note, stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received and that consequently this country is at war with Germany.

Neville Chamberlain. British Prime Minister.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I hope fictional characters are allowed :

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings

en.wikiquote.org...

Max payne.

I rather be blown up

Jan van Speyk , Dutch Navy Luitenant.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
"Simplicity is Complexity at its Best "
"TheYig"

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The best we can wish for is just that...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

"I know not what weapons world war 3 will be fought with, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"- Albert Einstein

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
"If life is a journey, the destination must inevitably be death. There are no other stops"
Woodcarver

edit on 6-4-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Debunking the idea that other worlds are inhabited .

“It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Added .

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy offers this definition of
the word "Infinite".
Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.
Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a
totally stunning size, "wow, that's big", time. Infinity is just so
big that by comparison, bigness itself looks really titchy.
Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly
huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here.”

edit on 6-4-2015 by hutch622 because: And the first pig said , this is kevlar straw wolf , try your hardest .

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
"History teaches us nothing at all...
...except that history teaches us nothing at all"

And one I coined myself...

"Wisdom is the destination away from ignorance...
...far down the path of knowledge and experience".

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
" A ship is always referred to as "she" because it costs so much to keep her in paint and powder."
Remarks to the Society of Sponsors, U.S. Navy, 13 February 1940
Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Debunking the idea that other worlds are inhabited .

“It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”

Added .

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy offers this definition of
the word "Infinite".
Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.
Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a
totally stunning size, "wow, that's big", time. Infinity is just so
big that by comparison, bigness itself looks really titchy.
Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly
huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here.”

That book is glorious, loved the movie but didn't do it justice.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

"Don't take life to serious, nobody makes it out alive."
Someone.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."

-Aristotle

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

As my friend Clinton Callahan says, “It’s not that power corrupts. Corrupt people seek power.”
-The Korporate Kannibal Kookbook

join