It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver Interview with Edward Snowden re: Mass Surveillance & Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

JOHN OLIVER AND EDWARD SNOWDEN DISCUSS NSA, MISSING HOT POCKETS, AND THE D--K PIC SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM

With the Patriot Act ready to expire, Oliver has been outspoken on his show about his opinion of what ought to be done about it:

Last Week Tonight host John Oliver devoted Sunday's episode to the issue of government surveillance. Specifically, Oliver called for reforms to "Section 215," which enables the government to ask for "any tangible things" so long as it pertains to international terrorism.

Oliver called it a "blank check," on his show, saying:

Its like letting a teenager borrow that car on the strict condition that they only use it for 'car' related activities. "Okay Mom and Dad, I'm going to use this for a hand job in the Wendy's parking lot, but that is 'car' related so I think I'm covered."

Oliver also traveled to Russia and sat down with Edward Snowden to discuss the the NSA, the balance between privacy and security, dick pics, whether he misses Hot Pockets and Florida, and more.

After showing Snowden street interviews with Americans who apparently knew nothing about the leaks or Snowden, whose goal was to inform Americans, Oliver suggested that Americans might be more interested if Snowden were to tell them the 'Government is watching your Dick Pics'.

Oliver does have a point - most Americans are to ambivalent or unaware of just how bad the surveillance state is, as unleashed by the Patriot Act, but maybe - maybe - knowing how even the type of pics described above are being snooped on and warehoused will get their attention.

Watch John Oliver Interview Edward Snowden About NSA's 'Dick-Pic Sheriffs'

Snowden says that leaking sensitive national security documents to journalists in 2013 was a risk – but it was worth it to help inform the American public. "Is it a conversation that we have the capacity to have?" Oliver responds. "Because it's so complicated we don't fundamentally understand it." In order to make the issue more relatable for Americans, the host connects all facets of the subject to one topic: "This is the most visible line in the sand for most people: Can they see my dick?"

"The good news is there's no program named the Dick-Pic Program," Snowden says, before playing a game of NSA "Dick or No Dick." Snowden adds that, for the record, he doesn't think people should cease their crotch-selfie habits: "You shouldn't change your behavior because a government agency somewhere is doing the wrong thing. If we sacrifice our values because we're afraid, we don't care about those values very much." ("That is a pretty inspiring answer to the question, 'Hey, why did you just send me a picture of your dick?'" Oliver cracks. "Because I love America, that's why.")

"So there you have it, America — all of us should now be equipped to have this vital debate," Oliver says in summary. "Because by June 1st, it is imperative we have a rational, adult conversation about whether our safety is worth living in a country of barely-regulated, government-sanctioned Dick Sheriffs."

I'm always impressed (or perhaps baffled is a better term) how we get better news from a comedian than we do from our corporate-owned news outlets. Good job, John Oliver!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah it is sad that we get more honest and moral coverage from a comedy show than we do the rest of the media but what's even sadder is that we used to have 3 excellent hosts fighting the good fight in John Oliver, Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert. Now we only have John Oliver left once Jon Stewart retires but I have felt for a while that the daily show has lost it's edge and JS was right to bail out now.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

John Oliver is a fighter and a fine writer. The English accent adds a little theatrical authority. I'll watch anything he does. I won't automatically buy in, but I'll watch it and process it.

He's pointing out something major. Really big. A vast majority of US citizens have abandoned paying attention at all. This willful ignorance extends well into the past. The past doesn't exist if no one seeks to understand what really happened. A large majority don't participate in self governance, don't demand ethical journalism, don't ask hard questions. They don't even need to understand where a place is on the map before they make the judgement to bomb them for threatening US interests.

Arguably, a large majority of citizens don't invest enough energy to be deserving of self governance. Many other choose to be ignorant about what the US government is and what it does in your names. Might as well laugh.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Please America ,forgive us Canadiand for Justin Beber , please with mapel syryp :>)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow is that Edward Snoden ever a serious guy! He had trouble getting his funny on several times.

Oliver is right, doesn't seem like Americans care they are being spied on by their own government. I know that Canadians sure don't. It doesn't surprise me thou...Hell Americans thought it ok for it's government to assassinate 2 of it's own citizens without any trial so what's a little taping and monitoring?

Hope Snowden likes Russia because he could be there for a very long time!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If good ole Eddie ever goes to trial, I pray that the part from this interview, where he side steps the question about whether he read every document before he released it is presented as evidence. He admitted that he did not read them and relied upon the people he gave them to, to use good judgement in releasing them. (around the 5:45 - 7 minute mark in the video)

Never heard a better case for the death penalty for espionage in my entire life. Hopefully he will get it sooner than later.

edit on R182015-04-06T19:18:56-05:00k184Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R192015-04-06T19:19:18-05:00k194Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R192015-04-06T19:19:52-05:00k194Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R202015-04-06T19:20:35-05:00k204Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
If good ole Eddie ever goes to trial, I pray that the part from this interview, where he side steps the question about whether he read every document before he released it is presented as evidence. He admitted that he did not read them and relied upon the people he gave them to, to use good judgement in releasing them. (around the 5:45 - 7 minute mark in the video)

Never heard a better case for the death penalty for espionage in my entire life. Hopefully he will get it sooner than later.

No, he read them but instead he admitted he did not censor the information, figuring they would as the publishers.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Good interview especially how it was "worded" to catch attention of the viewer. It reflects quite a few things., such as concerning people do not know about these privacy issues beyond having heard of him briefly and or forgot if they did.

I'll say this goes along with it(sorry if off topic though):

A bust of Snowden was installed in NYC , but illegally. It was covered up and removed soon after it's installation by the parks dept and the police.

MSM article here

There's a Massive, Illicit Bust of Edward Snowden Stuck to a War Monument in Brooklyn

Video talks about making of the bust. It took six months to complete it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Are you actually so naive as to believe that the only documents that Snowwy boy released only had to do with spying on Americans? Do you realize that a lot of the stuff he gave away had nothing to do with spying but rather the steps the US would have taken to defend itself if attacked?

Do you realize that because of Snowwy boy that all the taxes that you pay for the rest of your life will go toward paying to fix what nut job did?

Edward Snowden is nothing more than a skeezy little traitor to his country who deserves nothing less than the cheapest round they can buy right between his beady little eyes.

The dude literally makes me want too throw up every time I see him on TV. He can't die soon enough IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
a reply to: dreamingawake

Are you actually so naive as to believe that the only documents that Snowwy boy released only had to do with spying on Americans? Do you realize that a lot of the stuff he gave away had nothing to do with spying but rather the steps the US would have taken to defend itself if attacked?

Do you realize that because of Snowwy boy that all the taxes that you pay for the rest of your life will go toward paying to fix what nut job did?

Edward Snowden is nothing more than a skeezy little traitor to his country who deserves nothing less than the cheapest round they can buy right between his beady little eyes.

The dude literally makes me want too throw up every time I see him on TV. He can't die soon enough IMO.

Hmm, where did I specify that " that the only documents that Snowwy boy released only had to do with spying on Americans"? I am correcting you: You claimed he didn't read these documents. He did. Actually I think that him reading them would benefit your view on him more, him knowing what he put out there. No?

I'll bite as Devil's Advocate- since the accusation that I support him on all fronts: Are you naive enough to not see what his revealing has done for the benefit of the people of this country has the propensity to override breeches security? These alphabet intelligence agencies, the illegal spying is supported, etc., dug their own hole otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do this. Now they know better, or do they?

Oh, am sure he'll be taken care of eventually as most whistle blowers are. Don't you fret, the MSM news has him mostly silenced, his viewers barely remember or if even knew who he is. They are doing well to silence the information.
Until then why not save the heartache of having to vomit and ignore these Snowwy boy threads, especially since the site is now hosting an NSA whistle blower.

new topics

top topics

join