It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington State ... Flys Chinese Flag Over Its Capitol?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Yes. As well as to fly all the nations flags outside a business owned by a foreign company.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Here is the confusion. Source

(e) The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the
highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or
pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.

notice it doesn't say the word "foreign"?

Thats because this is the protocol.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the
right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services
conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown
above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person
shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international
flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to or in place
of the flag of the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,
That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice
heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of
superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal
prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the
headquarters of the United Nations.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yes. As well as to fly all the nations flags outside a business owned by a foreign company.

That is what I thought.

Was there an official visit by the Chinese with the governor?

So what's the big deal?

I dont understand.....

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Obscure facts I'm good with..

Diplomatic protocol not so much lol. I would assume yes is the right answer.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

People saw an evil communist flag flying at the same level as the US flag, and got outraged. They knew that the US flag is supposed to be the highest flag flying and nothing else should be at the same level, so they had to remove the Chinese flag.

In other words, it was a stupid reaction to something they didn't understand.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

China is such a shining example of equality and human rights, I just can't understand why anyone would get upset with flying their flag! /end sarcasm

While the protocol was applied properly, the fact that so many are defending the flying of a flag from a nation who has no issues using children for slave labor/treating women as second class citizens, is absolutely disgusting!

While screaming equality in your own country, you come on this thread and call those who took the flag down ignorant?

The hypocrisy is blinding!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: FamCore
Considering it followed procedure the ones to blame are the ones who took it down. State flags are not flown at the same height as the us flag since they are subordinate. National flags are flown at the same levels since they are equal.

Well, actually:

All state flags may fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. The U.S. flag must be on its right (the viewer's left), however.

Source

But, they can be flown at a lower height, unlike flags of foreign countries that MUST fly at the same height as the US flag, but always to the left (to the right, from the viewer's standpoint).

Section 7g of the Flag Code states: "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."

Same source.

The three flags in this video were displayed exactly as they should have been in accordance with the flag code. Now, the intelligence of a state capitol flying the communist flag of China? Well, that's the big issue, and I don't blame these guys for pulling it down.

ETA: What's actually disappointing is that the individual holding the American flag should have been to our left of the video, and the Gadsen flag to the right...pretty piss-poor mistake to make when your argument is flag-code violations.
edit on 6-4-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Ohh no, you put their piece of colored cloth at the same height as our pieces of colored cloth!

Does it actually matter?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I guess I am more shocked that you don't understand the importance of our flag in the US. I see you aren't from here so I am guessing you don't understand our culture.

The answer is YES it matters to most Americans...especially those that have served in the armed forces. Also, it doesn't help that the flag in question was from a Communist nation with a long list of human rights violations.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So, when a country comes to visit that's either Communist, or has a list of human rights violations, we should ignore protocol, and basic courtesy? What did it REALLY harm to fly their flag during a visit?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Metallicus

So, when a country comes to visit that's either Communist, or has a list of human rights violations, we should ignore protocol, and basic courtesy? What did it REALLY harm to fly their flag during a visit?

Other than the fact we are on the hook in loans from China?

Is it not hypocritical to show respect to a country that violates human rights while preaching it and making laws to prosecute those in your own country?

Sorry, but when our own citizens are being dictated to thru statutory law to behave a certain way, it sure as hell doesn't make sense to "honor/show respect" to a country that treats it's own poorly.

Just my opinion, but I am sure this is all being done in the "Feel Good" sense of a Global Community under 1 ruling government.......

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
I live in Washington State and I know how most all government employees here and elected officials seem to embrace Communist principles and act as a rubber stamp to our Maoist communist president, so this flag thing is par for the course.

How's he a Maoist communist when he bailed out our capitalist bankers?

One or two exceptions do not make the rule. That's how.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Then why not ban them visiting completely? That makes a lot more sense than getting outraged over flying their flag. Ban trades with them. Keep them from coming to visit.

Oh no, let's just get outraged for showing courtesy and flying their flag. It's a FLAG. Not flying it isn't going to do a damn thing to change anything. Getting outraged over flying isn't going to change anything.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: FamCore

Considering it followed procedure the ones to blame are the ones who took it down. State flags are not flown at the same height as the us flag since they are subordinate. National flags are flown at the same levels since they are equal.

Down here in Texas they are.

The Texas flag is always flown at the same height as the US flag.

Only state in the country.

Which is ironically not how it is supposed to be flown but Texas right?
ETA: didn't know since they were once independent that they could. Still find it funny they feel the need to.

Are we really still living in the 50s with this anti China big red scare tactics?
God forbid we pay respects to another country!

edit on thMon, 06 Apr 2015 14:58:41 -0500America/Chicago420154180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I find this ironic considering America's history of human rights violations (some of which are still ongoing).

For instance, say what you want about Communism, America has everyone beat on its incarceration rate. Then we use those incarcerated people for cheap labor bordering on slave labor.
edit on 6-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What's the obsession with flags?

There are countless of foreign flags in Kensington and nobody here seems to care much. The only time we've got flags out is during the world cup or the Euro.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This Event-or-Story is Gaining-Traction as Evidenced-By:

Google Search: "washington state chinese flag"

-
OPINION:

The 'Issue' is ... Why Fly It At All ???

(note: it think a veteran's mia/pow flag was removed for its placement)

edit on 6-4-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

For the same reason that when US diplomats go to other countries, they fly the US flag.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FarleyWayne-
OPINION:

The 'Issue' is ... Why Fly It At All ???

That's an easy answer. To show respect to the country the visiting dignitary is from. It's a nice gesture and shows you respect them and their country. It's not like the flag was going to be a permanent fixture at the capital.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join