It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

UK General Election 2015 resources

page: 1
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
With the forthcoming UK General Election on 7th May, I just thought I would post some useful resources to help people out. If anyone has anything similar then perhaps they can post in this thread. If people can desist from personality politics and negative campaigning, that would be helpful. These discussions are in other threads. This is a thread about resources.

> UK General Election
> Poll tracker

Party manifestos
Read them and weep, or rejoice and be happy.

> Conservative Party
> Labour Party
> Liberal Democrats
> Monster Raving Loony Party
> Green Party
> UKIP
> Compare manifestos

Funding the campaigning
Unlike our American cousins who spend vast piles of cash to ensure “normal” people and parties are crushed out of politics, the UK arrangements are more modest and spending at elections is tightly regulated to ensure a level playing field. This means that new parties can, and do, enter the mainstream.

> Electoral Commission rules
> The detail easy to read
> UK historic spend
> Bonkers US approach
> US madness

Overview of the Constituencies
Here you go. Just a point to make is that sadly, as is often the case in this “united” Kingdom, the English are under-represented. Based on the whole population served, the number of English MP’s per capita should be c. 546 and there should be correspondingly less Scots and Welsh MP’s. In the UK and Englishman’s vote has less impact than a Scot or a Welshman.

> UK Constituencies info 1
> UK Constituencies info 2

Make-up of the Constituencies
A statisticians dream, full of all sorts of detail for the curious.

> ONS statistics

State of the Parties

> The Battle Lines

How precarious is your MP’s seat?
There are “safe” seats, but there are also a large number of seats which are “unsafe” for the occupant. Small swings in the vote can, and have, caused all sorts of interesting things to happen. This election is predicted to have some large swings so is anyone truly "safe"?

> Safe and unsafe MP’s

Policies not people or parties
Personally, I hate personality politics and the cult of celebrity. I urge people to look at the policies and not the people. This website may be an eye-opener. If a party has little chance of getting anywhere then it will promise the earth, so sound good to all ears e.g. the Greens! Therefore, before you vote Green look at the detail because it’s all pseudo economics and waffle!

> Vote for policies, not parties or individuals

MP’s voting records
Look at your current MPs voting record. Just what have they been doing with their time? Contrary to what some people want to believe, not all MPs are robots and many frustrate the Whips.

> MP voting record

MP’s expenses
Look at your MP’s expenses. The media would have us believe that all MPs are abusing the system. While it is true that some MP’s have been caught being dishonest and paid the price at the ballot box, expenses claimed are all now publically available. You can make a judgement whether your MP has been abusing the system.

> MP’s Expenses

Member’s pay
On pay. The Basic MP’s salary is not that high when put against other countries and is currently £67K.

> Older article showing MP’s pay is lower than most comparable counties
> Pay of MPs

MP’s outside interests
Your MP’s declared outside interests. This helps to see if they have split loyalties. This is something that occasionally (and rightly) falls under the spotlight. Personally, I think MPs benefit from an extra-day-jobs (paid or unpaid), so long as it does not compromise their Parliamentary role. I would certainly like to see more transparency in this area, including nailing the “revolving door” shut! Also, an quite a few payments are donated to charity, so give credit when seen.

> MP’s outside interests
> All Party Parliamentary Groups

How sexy is your MP?
Sadly, this is important to some people.

> MP outside interests

Keep context and feet on the ground
When it’s all come-and-gone, we are all part of the earth. If you learn anything in the next couple of months, let it be what’s under your feet. I live on upper greensand overlooked by several types of chalk formation. Much more interesting than politics.

> Geology of the UK
edit on 6/4/2015 by paraphi because: to tidy up

edit on 6/4/2015 by paraphi because: ditto


Mod Edit] - Moved this thread to OTC for better visibility.


edit on 4/6/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Excellent informative post, nice one Paraphi, very useful resource.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Here is my little thread on how im going to vote

And how im basing my decision.

Although I agree we should not vote on who is the most sexy or popular (if we did Stella Creasy for Queen of the world
)
We should still look at the background.

A etonite who worked for a banks or mega corperation before comeing into politics is not going to be a good canidate in my opinion.
edit on 6-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
No BNP manifesto to peruse through?

I call shenanigans and partisanship here Sir...



Realistically, Labour is closest to my heart and needs...

But I didn't hear back from Miliband when I sent him my new HipHop track on Twitter, so he may not receive my vote.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Have you posted your video here Charlie?

I have previously voted Labour as I am a socialist, but the day we went to war in Iraq and Under Blair, the first Labour Government to take us to war, I can no longer bring myself to vote for them.

I would never vote Conservative, as they are following their ideology in punishing the working classes, for something they had no control over, which was the Banking collapse.

The Lib Dems are liars and for 4 years supported the Tories in their attack on the working classes. They are not to be trusted!!

UKIP, never in a million years.

The Greens, I don't really want to get around by Bicycle or Horse & Cart, so no thanks.

I will be voting for my local independent candidate, who has local issues at the forefront of any votes in parliament and away from the party politics, which I feel has damaged the people's power and are nothing more than lobbyists for the Banks and Tax evaders.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Nah I think there is T&C's against promotion of oneself...


Best way to vote is how you & CrazyEwok have decided...



Personally, I don't see myself at the ballot box this year.
Which is a shame, because I wanted to play my part.


I just can't force myself to vote for either someone I don't trust, someone I don't like, & someone I don't know.

Need to do a lot of homework in the next couple weeks if I'm going to vote that's for sure.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Crazyewok's idea is great if there is a slim majority, it could easily swing things.

I live in one of the safest Labour constituencies in the U.K, so I don't think my vote is going to change anything, but from small acorns.

Follow your heart my friend, even if it means spoiling your ballot paper.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
...before you vote Green look at the detail because it’s all pseudo economics and waffle!


Sir!
Having spent a good part of my life actively living a green lifestyle I have to say.....
Spot on.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

originally posted by: paraphi
...before you vote Green look at the detail because it’s all pseudo economics and waffle!


Sir!
Having spent a good part of my life actively living a green lifestyle I have to say.....
Spot on.



A green party economy is basicaly powered on pixie dust and unicorn farts


edit
Abit like the Euro actually, though that based on German farts and the tears of greeks

edit on 6-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Well, I've had a quick scan through UKIP's published policies and there is nothing I can see which I disagree with in principle.
I have passionately wanted the UK to be part of the EEA or similar and not the EU. UKIP is the only party sharing my views.

...oh and y'all may not be aware but this month the EU devolved decisions about growing GM food to member nations and the Greens and UKIP are the only ones either against it or offering a free vote in Parliament to decide.
That is a massively important decision in my opinion, here in the SW of England you will find a 3rd of the UK's organic farms. Our organic farmers are furious and rightly so as cross-pollination is a very serious threat to organic farm status.

Vote Conservative, Labour or Lib-dem and you are voting for GM food in the UK, no questions to the populace, just an admission that they are going to allow GM crops to be grown here.
...yep, looks like I'm voting UKIP.

*Edit*
Oh, and if anyone wants to bash UKIP them please how about taking them to task in their published policies as I've read them, I'm all ears.
Just screaming racist like you only read tabloid newspapers is not swaying my opinion, and having a points based immigration is not racist...or do you claim Canada, Australia, New Zealand, The US and most other non-EU countries to be racist as well? That's ridiculous and you know it.
UKIP want to control immigration generally and rightly so, it is not about bashing non white folk, and if you use the number of UK nationals living in other parts of the EU just remember that a large percentage is pensioners living and spending their money in Spain or whatever, not taking Spanish jobs, and the first to jump back on a plane if they need the NHS.

edit on 6.4.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
I think you might have missed the manifesto from the party that will undoubtedly be the third biggest (Not the lib dems!). That third party will hold the balance of power. People might not like that but it is a literal statement of the outcome as things currently stand.


edit on 6/4/2015 by yorkshirelad because: clarification



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Kester

originally posted by: paraphi
...before you vote Green look at the detail because it’s all pseudo economics and waffle!


Sir!
Having spent a good part of my life actively living a green lifestyle I have to say.....
Spot on.



A green party economy is basicaly powered on pixie dust and unicorn farts


edit
Abit like the Euro actually

What an outstanding clear indication that you have not read the policies of the Green party! I bet you have fallen for the BS from people whio call greens tree huggers......oh dear how sad.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

For sure, the Scottish National Party.
I would love to know their policy on GM foods being grown on our island now the EU has devolved that decision to member states.
I know the SNP are pro-EU so on that we disagree anyway, but their policy on GM crops could well be important if they have the balance of power in Parliament.
A 3rd of the UK's organic farms based in the SW of England may well depend on a 10th of the UK population via the SNP. That concerns me greatly.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The Greens, I don't really want to get around by Bicycle or Horse & Cart, so no thanks.


The difference between post WWII labour ideals and the current Greens is bug.er all!

Read the policy document and stop regurgitating the right wing anti green BS. As an ex labour and still left leaning person like myself you should be ashamed of that anti green BS.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Once again SNP overlooked but UKIP and the Greens in there...it's all about England..Oh well. come the 8th all that will change.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just checked, it seems the SNP and Plaid Cymru are both against GM food being grown in the UK, along quite obviously with the Greens, while UKIP are promissing a free vote in Parliament, and Conservatives/Labour/Lib-dem are all going to allow GM foodcrops to be grown here in the new Parliament.

Maybe because of where I live it is an important issue and spoken about because once cross pollination happens you can kiss goodbye to your organic farm status...ask the Canadian organic farmers how they feel about GM foods after their experiment.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Just checked, it seems the SNP and Plaid Cymru are both against GM food being grown in the UK, along quite obviously with the Greens, while UKIP are promissing a free vote in Parliament, and Conservatives/Labour/Lib-dem are all going to allow GM foodcrops to be grown here in the new Parliament.

Maybe because of where I live it is an important issue and spoken about because once cross pollination happens you can kiss goodbye to your organic farm status...ask the Canadian organic farmers how they feel about GM foods after their experiment.

Simple solution..wait till a particularly long dry spell then torch the field....rinse and repeat.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Kester

originally posted by: paraphi
...before you vote Green look at the detail because it’s all pseudo economics and waffle!


Sir!
Having spent a good part of my life actively living a green lifestyle I have to say.....
Spot on.



Extracts from there wacko website




MG205 Migration policies should not discriminate directly on grounds of race, colour, religion, political belief, disability, sex or sexual orientation. Preference should not be given to those with resources or desirable skills.


A green party economy is basicaly powered on pixie dust and unicorn farts


edit
Abit like the Euro actually

What an outstanding clear indication that you have not read the policies of the Green party! I bet you have fallen for the BS from people whio call greens tree huggers......oh dear how sad.





EC730 A Citizen's Income sufficient to cover an individual's basic needs will be introduced, which will replace tax-free allowances and most social security benefits (see EC711). A Citizen's Income is an unconditional, non-withdrawable income payable to each individual as a right of citizenship. It will not be subject to means testing and there will be no requirement to be either working or actively seeking work.

FFS giving out free money?




EC201 To this end, the Citizens' Income (see EC730) will allow the current dependence on economic growth to cease, and allow zero or negative growth to be feasible without individual hardship should this be necessary on the grounds of sustainability. (see PB104-106)


So they want to stall and # up the economy?


Now lets go into the REAL woo woo pixie land stuff.....




An imaginative programme of arms conversion could use many of the skills and resources at present tied up in military industry, to create new jobs and produce socially useful products. Conversion would also free research and development expertise and capital. New renewable energy industries, for instance, could be set up in the same area and use the same skills and resources as the existing arms industries e.g. wave power (shipbuilding), wind power (aerospace) and tidal power (power engineering).

Awww while we turn our military bases into wind farms Putin can contine building up his military and gobble up parts of Europe.





R310 Vehicles would not be permitted for road use that had the ability to travel at greater speeds than the majority of EU national maximum speed levels.

So we can only drive around in robin relients and smart cars......sounds fun......





312 Transport advertisements would be regulated, with those that glamorise aspects such as excessive speed being banned. The placing of adverts where they might lead to danger on the road would not be permitt

erosion of our freedoms......




TR520 The Green Party would implement tougher regulation of aircraft emissions in all categories of chemical pollutants, including greenhouse gases, and of noise, and would introduce tougher emission and noise standards for new aircraft types. The worst kinds of aircraft, such as Concorde and any further supersonic transport aircraft, would be banned, as would night flights over populated areas.


So lets destroy the air industry.

As a avid traveler I will say # the Greens # them to hell!




R530 Air transport provision is currently based on the 'predict and provide' scenario, much the same as building more roads has led to increases in road traffic and more congestion. The Green Party believes that building more facilities for air transport must cease. This includes additional terminals and runways at airports, the conversion of disused MoD and smaller airfields into regional or satellite civil airports and the development of more local airports.

So the price of airtravel skyrockets!
Again # the greens.




R531 Alternative economic strategies would be developed for each airport including both the possibility of complete conversion to ecological and socially appropriate uses and the maintenance of the airport for restricted purposes consistent with the long-term objective of ecological sustainability, such as use for lighter-than-air craft.


O look we can float around on a balloon.....



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The Greens, I don't really want to get around by Bicycle or Horse & Cart, so no thanks.


The difference between post WWII labour ideals and the current Greens is bug.er all!

Read the policy document and stop regurgitating the right wing anti green BS. As an ex labour and still left leaning person like myself you should be ashamed of that anti green BS.


Well the wacko ideas are spelt out on there website

No right ring BS as it comes right from the horses mouth.



posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Haha I'm thinking the same along with many others in these parts, can see a few trips to London as well, always enjoyed a good protest if I believe in it.
Glad to see the SNP are against GM crops as well, we share an island so we should agree about stuff like that...even if we no longer share the same internationally recognised country. Let Europe have GM food like North America and see how it fares them first...and let's hope the North Sea and English Channel are just wide enough to keep our crops GM free.
I actually am more passionate about this than EU membership, it's our food FFS.

*Edit*
And regardless of the biggest party in Parliament, if the SNP wipe the board in Scotland as expected then I'm more than happy if they hold the balance of power in the GM crops decision.
Remember folks, Labour, Conservative & Lib-Dem will all allow the commercial production of GM crops in the UK, for the first time, this year 2015 if you vote for them. The 'others' will not. Choose wisely, or hope the SNP and 'others' hold that balance.
edit on 6.4.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join