It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72 Hour Survival Game

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: mryang

A good full tang fixed blade knife ... beyond that everything else useless weight to lug around.

Tell me how you intent to use the knife for survival the next coming 30 days in unknown conditions. Not saying u r wrong, just curious.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mryang

A good full tang fixed blade knife ... beyond that everything else useless weight to lug around.

Tell me how you intent to use the knife for survival the next coming 30 days in unknown conditions. Not saying u r wrong, just curious.

Haha, I'd like to know that too. Lets say, for whatever reason, I have the "perfect knife" as you suggest, and a lightweight tent in front of me when SHTF. I'm not just going to be like "well I'll take the knife, but that portable shelter thing is useless weight I'll have to lug around. better off just making a shelter myself"

Personally, I'd take whatever I could within reason because, well, you never know what you'll have to deal with.
edit on 9/4/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: mryang
The game is weird because we know nothing yet:

1. What happened - We don't know
2. What kind of equipment already exists in the BOL - We don't know - Worst case stolen, destroyed or occupied.
3. How many are we - We don't know - My BOL is a solo camp only?
4. In what terrain is the BOL located and how does the roads to it look like - we don't know
5. What am I wearing now - We don't know
6. And maybe the most important of them all - What is the weather like - We don't know

If this was REAL, you must assume WORST CASE SCENARIO and if we limit to 30 lbs this would be my list:

WATER - Bottled water and Lifestraw.
FOOD - Fishing kit, .22
SHELTER - Survival blankets, Sleeping Bag
DEFENSE - Machete + Bow
OTHER - Firestarter

Total: 30 lbs.

ANOTHER GAME WOULD BE:

If you could take only one thing from that list, disregarding of weight, what would you take, assuming SHTF and you didn't know anything?

My thoughts exactly!

A year ago, this happened to me, literately...I KNEW I had to prep for becoming homeless! My mindset was one of "stick with the basics and go UP from there" After having secured my wife a place to stay, I hunkered down and made a checklist of stuff I would be able to use on a daily basis.

Let me say this ...PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is the BEST teacher! I had NO idea what I was about to face, and no idea where I would end up!

100 Stars if I could on this post for using logic and intelligence!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

1. to build shelter
2. build traps to get food
3. to get firewood
4. self defense or if need be and it cant be avoided to silently take out sentries
5. relieve boredome carving

Theres a myriad of uses for a good fixed blade knife . only listed a few of them above .. you lot can have fun lugging around all your high tech toys and junk that you think you need to survive .. can get more done .. travel further and faster along with live better without all the useless # ..

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Here are a few things I found useful in my 13 months of being homeless, and still am technically....this is about as raw as you can get in the 21st century and having a car with an alternate power external power source is a major plus...this came about with ample time to get my mind in the attitude of being homeless for an extended amount of time, the game of self survival was pounding on my doorstep.

Remind you, this isn't a SHTF scenario, but, it's pretty darn close!! this is if you currently HAVE a car...

• My Super Tool 200 Leatherman..enough said (currently misplaced or stolen)
• My General Tours/TBI Tours/General Expedition back pack (it has the feel of a rubberized material) which I somehow picked up along the way, has multiple pocket sizes that can hold just change if needed which, it does. :-)
• My $1.00 9 LED/ 3 AAA battery flashlight, WAY brighter than my 15(?) LED one...
~can pick one up anywhere, mostly at auto stores at the checkout or walmart
• Bar Soap, Irish Spring to be exact, in my backpack that fits 5 bars in a side pocket of my backpack
• My leather spit-kit (bathroom toiletries mini-bag) holds quite a bit for it's size..
• My 2’wooden frame & cloth laundry hamper, simple, store-able and washable...
• PS2 2nd generation, still plays SD DVD’s and is compact & light for easy packing and remains the best among the rest of the consoles IMO, it easily can play games without heat issues for 24 hrs continuously, GT4 24hr race is proof & has yet to see any cleaning since 2005...no joke. Also can use IR controllers.
• Authentic military leather boots with speed lacing...
• MAC Sports folding cot something that I don't think the website goes into detail about; it's made like a cot SHOULD BE made, there's NO center bar and therefore it's design is that like sleeping in hammock :-)I've yet to have a hard time sleeping. No family and no ONE should be without one. If you can't afford this type...pick up an army cot, the design is the same.
• A good confortmable comfy pillow, it's either that or a rock, good luck...
• My Dell Ispirion 1200 laptop ;-)
~Proved to be without a doubt one of my most highly valued survival tools yet, why? EVERYTHING is on the net, everything, trust me when I say this, unemployment, jobs search, businesses ...you name it .. it's ALL on the web.
• Leather soled slippers for house life
• (Although I didn’t have one at the house, and don’t tote one around with me) an LED TV with a D-sub connection for alternate monitor.
• Bio-Degradable Lens wipes, try and find the 200ct they come in individual packets.
• USB, enough said. still need to see if I can get a 12v car converter for USB devices and external power source: TIP: Make sure your car is running since all converters drain the car battery (done, and fairly cheep, picked one up at walmart for $25.00)
• Sleeping bag(s), 2 of them incase temps drop below 35*F
• Without a doubt, one good 16GB thumbdrive,
• Toothbrush cover
• Bar Soap plastic holder
~Dollar Tree/Store (where everything is a dollar), for toiletries and whatnots
~2nd pair of glasses, reading or prescripts
~15ft 3 prong extension cord, can double as a tie down in a emergency

~Ear buds, the flat kind, not the inserts, you can sleep with them if you don't want to wake anyone or want anyone know your location and need to have an alarm wake you. Ipicked up a cheap pair of Sony's ..$15.00, definately worth it, proven over time.

~If at all possible, to those who don't have one or never thought about getting one...a good smart phone, multiple uses and can be still be used for Wi-Fi connection. I currently have a Motorola's MotoX Google version, proved to be invaluable over the months. I've dropped my from 3ft on solid floor 50x after putting in my chest pocket of my coat and asphalt 3x and never cracked the screen and still works like a charm!

~picked up a Gerber LMFII knife in my many travels Simple design flaw between the sheath and the handle causing the rubber to peel back from the top of the handle, need to take it to Gerber in Portland, OR next time I head there and return it. I haven't used the blade itself at all but, the feel of it fits my hand well and feels like I could use it bare-handed for extended length of time.

~One of my top most inspirational YT video's for encouragement and perverseness

edit on 9-4-2015 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

1. to build shelter
3. to get firewood
4. self defense or if need be and it cant be avoided to silently take out sentries

Theres a myriad of uses for a good fixed blade knife . only listed a few of them above .. you lot can have fun lugging around all your high tech toys and junk that you think you need to survive .. can get more done .. travel further and faster along with live better without all the useless # ..

Sounds fair, and surely MOST people argue the knife as the most important survival item if one has to choose only one because it facilitates the creation of many things.

I think it's wrong. Especially in a 21st century SHTF-scenario.

Because what most people forget is that before you get thirsty and before you get hungry, before you need to defend yourself and before pretty much anything coming close to "survival", humans need SLEEP. And of all things in a survival kit, the sleeping bag is not just the FIRST THING that will really really come useful to you, but also the hardest to find in natural habitat. Knife is good, but many objects in nature can be used as a knife and in a bombed out city there is more than likely to find good substitutes if a real knife is not found. Shelter, traps, fire, firewood and self defense can all be done without a real knife. But create a good sleeping environment, when it's below just 20ºC is difficult. Imagine 10ºC or less and I'm not even talking really cold yet or in the event of rain.

Deprivation of sleep affects us early - In fact - Walk 4-6 hours continuously and rest / sleep is probably that will get you going more than a bottle of water or a hamburger. Without sleep we don't function and can't survive even 72 hours.

So I argue that sleeping bag should be the number ONE priority in a SHTF scenario if only one item can be taken.

ANOTHER interesting choice is - If you could choose between any gear you could think of or no gear but an extra friend, what would you choose and why?
edit on 2015-4-10 by mryang because: (no reason given)

edit on 2015-4-10 by mryang because: spelling

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

You really are clueless .. from practical .. firsthand experience over 50+ years of my life spent in war zones and disaster areas I know what actually works and what doesnt .. have you even been outside of a city for more than a day ? or walked further than the corner shop and back ? how about been hunted by men out to kill you ? stick to your books and fantasyland you wouldnt survive long in real world ..

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Survival school also taught, shelter.. Then water... Then food.

Thar dod forest survival course...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

You really are clueless .. from practical .. firsthand experience over 50+ years of my life spent in war zones and disaster areas I know what actually works and what doesnt .. have you even been outside of a city for more than a day ? or walked further than the corner shop and back ? how about been hunted by men out to kill you ? stick to your books and fantasyland you wouldnt survive long in real world ..

This post didn't make any sense more than measuring your dick and now we know it's at least 50 years long.

But, could you clarify in what way a knife is preferred before a sleeping bag in a SHTF-scenario?

Hint:
Don't make assumptions and don't underestimate your "opponent". 50 years of dick measuring should have taught you that.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I got 20 points on that thing, need to add a couple of MREs and a first aid kit and im good to go
I have a hunting bow, really need a crossbow...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

1. to build shelter
3. to get firewood

Yes, we aren't arguing that a fixed blade knife is not versatile. However, when you cut out all those "unnecessary things", you know, like food, water, and shelter, all you have is a knife. Now, instead off having an extra 10 pounds of shelter, food and water, you now get to gather all those things and build all those things, all while being in whatever situation you may be in (poor weather, unknown location, so on so forth)

You may spend days trying to find food, or clean water. You can spend hours making all your traps, all to have none of them actually catch anything. You can spend hours making your shelter during severe weather conditions.

OR... you can already have all that stuff with you for a merely weight of an extra 10 pounds and drastically increase your level of survival and decrease the amount of chance your taking because you though "nah, they aren't worth it, I'll just take the knife".
edit on 10/4/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

But, could you clarify in what way a knife is preferred before a sleeping bag in a SHTF-scenario?

Can't say I've ever used a sleeping bag when camping outside of living in Alaska. Never needed one elsewhere.
Plenty of uses for a knife though.

SHELTER, Can use the knife to cut small branches, vines, etc. to build a shelter.
WATER, Can use it to cut branches that house water, make a drinking straw, etc.
FOOD, Can use it with a stick, as a spear, can use it to make traps, etc.

I typically used my backpack and a towel for a pillow when camping (though these days, I have an inflatable pillow that is pretty damn nice).

That all said, a metal water bottle, some kind of fire starter (preferably a Zippo lighter), and a good full tang knife, and a small LED flashlight, and I'd be fine. Anything else is just gravy.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Can't say I've ever used a sleeping bag when camping outside of living in Alaska. Never needed one elsewhere.
Plenty of uses for a knife though.

SHELTER, Can use the knife to cut small branches, vines, etc. to build a shelter.
WATER, Can use it to cut branches that house water, make a drinking straw, etc.
FOOD, Can use it with a stick, as a spear, can use it to make traps, etc.

I typically used my backpack and a towel for a pillow when camping (though these days, I have an inflatable pillow that is pretty damn nice).

That all said, a metal water bottle, some kind of fire starter (preferably a Zippo lighter), and a good full tang knife, and a small LED flashlight, and I'd be fine. Anything else is just gravy.

First - I don't object a knife - Can come very useful in #ty situations.
Second - I live in northern part of Sweden - so for the most time of the year it's COLD and DARK and here, there are only two rules for survival:

1. Stay dry
2. Stay warm

Everything else is a bonus!

I know I can survive at least 10 days with only a sleeping bag in snow, dark and -20ºC. But a professional surviver probably much longer than that.

I don't know if I would survive 10 days, during same conditions with only a knife, because in -20, you really don't want to fall asleep without knowing you gonna wake up again.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Too many Variables. Doesn't discuss time of year and location from point A to point B...you could be living in the Desert, or in Alaska.

your biggest problem is going to be avoiding the unforeseen, like thermal sensor'd drones and surveillance

None of the game can be realistic, due to time restraints and distance/ destination.

If i had to play it for real, i would grab my lil day pack, throw a bag of tortillas, a cooked sirloin steak ,a bottle of hot sauce, plus my reusable Capri sun pack full of water and my water filter straw. grab my Led Headlamp, lighter, pair of gloves and stocking cap, and my Tomahawk and I'm out the door

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I don't know if I would survive 10 days, during same conditions with only a knife, because in -20, you really don't want to fall asleep without knowing you gonna wake up again.

At 10 or 20 below, would be fairly easy (time consuming, but easy) to build a little snow fort (igloo) to retain your body heat. Especially if you made room to have a small fire and chimney opening. I used to build these all the time when in the 4th grade, so I imagine it would be much quicker now....

As for bedding, not sure of the trees in Sweden, but I know in Alaska I could easily gather up a ton of pine needles, throw a poncho over it, and have a pretty soft bed in no time.

While a sleeping bag is comfy, it takes up a LOT of space, and isn't something you'd usually have with you in your vehicle or even BOB. A military issue wool blanket is a better use of space for the same purpose, along with one of those cheap mylar "blankets".

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

At 10 or 20 below, would be fairly easy (time consuming, but easy) to build a little snow fort (igloo) to retain your body heat. Especially if you made room to have a small fire and chimney opening. I used to build these all the time when in the 4th grade, so I imagine it would be much quicker now....

As for bedding, not sure of the trees in Sweden, but I know in Alaska I could easily gather up a ton of pine needles, throw a poncho over it, and have a pretty soft bed in no time.

While a sleeping bag is comfy, it takes up a LOT of space, and isn't something you'd usually have with you in your vehicle or even BOB. A military issue wool blanket is a better use of space for the same purpose, along with one of those cheap mylar "blankets".

I think the main issue we are having with all this is not that Knives aren't versatile, or that "there is no other option but to bring additional things" is when you stated that "everything else is just extra, dead weight."

If you had the option of grabbing a kick-ass knife, and also had room for a tent, would you honestly not bring the tent? Sure, you'd be carrying around an extra 6 pounds, but then you wouldn't HAVE to spend time making your own shelter. Instead you would already have the convenience of having one. Instead of using up valuable time where you could be going to find food, clean water, making a fire, you're now making a shelter. I realize that it doesn't need to take days to make a shelter, but you're still losing time where you could be foraging or doing something else that could aid in your survival.

Do you not see this?

A Knife is there, and a Tent is there. Why would you just grab the knife and leave a perfectly good shelter, instead of both?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i would get a blanket, diy knapsack it.. fill it with life straws and dehydrated food.
that gives me room to fit stuff into my backpack.. machete, lighter and spare socks..
given where i live i dont need much actually im with expat just give me a knife..
and spare socks
# i know aboriginals still living traditional catching fish with their hands and grinding bush seeds for flour
but those life straws are wonderful!
the last thing i want in a shtf scenario is to have to clog my guts with clay because i have dysentery

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Like 98% of the stuff on the web about survival it's written by people who haven't done it.
But they sure can imagine their way through some tough situations.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Like 98% of the stuff on the web about survival it's written by people who haven't done it.
But they sure can imagine their way through some tough situations.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

A Knife is there, and a Tent is there. Why would you just grab the knife and leave a perfectly good shelter, instead of both?

It's a valid question, but really, here in the South, it just isn't a necessity. (shelter). Plenty of trees to shield from sun and rain. And of course, in a post SHTF scenario, there are overpasses, other structures, etc. to serve as shelter, so yeah, I'd rather not carry the 6 pounds.

Granted, in other environments, this is a different story, but where I am, just isn't needed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join