It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love deep discussions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Just found this site tonight when I was looking up something on a dream I had and couldn't sleep - the discussion that popped up from way back in 2012 had little to do with my dream, but it was so fascinating that I had to figure out what the forum was and got caught up reading a lot of discussions - mostly older ones.

My decision to join comes from a desire to engage in discussions on strange topics that most people in my real life either have never even heard about or who would look at me wonky for bringing it up. haha! I also remember about 10 years ago being involved in philosophical debates with people from all over the world on a forum that shut down and I've always missed it. It was much, much smaller and everyone knew everyone but it had the same sort of rules about not being mean. Other forums I joined hoping to find the same sort of discussions were always plagued with logical fallacies and flame wars and not worth the bother. Reading as much as I did tonight I can see this is very big, so that will be different than what I'm used to, but the discussions, as intense as they were, were civil. I like that.

Conspiracy theories are interesting, but I have mellowed over the years and don't find them as upsetting as I used to when I first was exposed to them. I don't think they're all true, and try not to worry about them, but I can't help when I see someone with political significant die wonder if someone is behind it...

Some of my favorite topics in no particular order:

The future of technology and what it means to our privacy/freedom
Trying to eat healthy; organic, non-GMO, food industry
How people have been duped by propaganda throughout history and presently,
The various agendas of the entertainment industry and how to enjoy it without subscribing to it
Public Education, Common Core, Homeschool, education styles
Neuro-diversity, Autism Spectrum, ADD and other labels for personality traits and disorders that don't fit into the norm
God, religion, spiritualism, supernatural, right/wrong mentality vs love or not love, modern idols, modern versions of ancient religions
Politics - statism, what is liberty, law, differences and similarities of the liberals and conservatives and their debates
War and violence - past and present, what's it good for and how it starts, when is it futile, when is it unavoidable gun rights, pacifism

That's just to get started...

Glad to be here and hope to join in some of these topics and more.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to ya.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Welcome.

You have an interesting collection of topics there.

Look forward to the debates.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Welcome to ats .. yes it gets deep here bring your own shovel ...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Delphina108

Welcome.

We don't get enough of the female perspective here.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Wow, good for us, you're finally here. You've come to the right place. Welcome !

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Make sure your bs detector had had a service !

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Delphina108

Hi Delphina, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Using the new features and and functions of ATS.5/3

ATS Guidelines, Etiquette, and more

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Signature Guidelines

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from and add your thoughts and opinions too as well.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I believe it. Of the people I can have discussions on non-relationship topics, very, very few of them have been women. Relationship topics can be deep, but that's not all I like to talk about.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thanks for all the welcomes - just figured out 2 things - I need to click on 'quote' when replying to someone, not just reply or you don't see what exactly you're replying to - and we can't edit our posts if we make a mistake.

I'm guessing the non-edit function is to prevent someone from having second thoughts on a hot topic, or denying they ever posted something? I've seen forums that have no edit and a note that something has been edited. I can work with both - except I make dumb mistakes like not quoting someone. *hehe*

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

uh-oh... didn't know this place was ruled by a dark lord... better watch my step, I'm more of a Lothlorien type.

(great to meat an other LOTR fan regardless)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!

top topics

join