It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds being exposed to Buddhist concepts reduces prejudice and increases prosociality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Negative. A religion is just the dogma surrounding various spiritual beliefs. People are people. The violent ones will act violently regardless of whatever religion they ascribe to.

I'm sorry but spiritual beliefs are not dogmatic; people are. Dogma doesn't "surround" or adhere to spiritual beliefs; people do. People create, promote and practice religions. Systems of belief do not magically appear out of thin air, and it isn't a religion until people practice it religiously.

A religion is the people that practice it.

Well go read up on the study to see how it was done. See the methodology used and the reasoning behind the conclusions reached. Have you done that? Or are you just casting disbelief because it is promoting a religion other than your own as more noble?

I have read the study. The methodology consists of putting words in a crossword puzzle and having the participants answer questions in a lab setting. How this translates to the real world I am unsure.

Like you said, people are people. The word "nirvana" hidden in a crossword puzzle is not going to make a violent person more prosocial, nor is it going to stop a monk from sexually assaulting children, as evidenced by the facts.
edit on 6-4-2015 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I agree with you entirely, and am not surprised at all by this finding. Buddhist concepts and Oriental thinking are often quite difficult for Westerners to grasp - I started studying it about 20 years ago, and as I came to understand it better I taught my kids. They were babies when I started that journey....

new topics

<< 1   >>

join