It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Sometimes it helps to know that others are in the same boat as you.

It is also scary because it shows you how far reaching and universal the problem is.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And for ~$10, a person on food stamps can get about 20-30 servings of Kraft Mac & Cheese.

So that's 20 servings of absolute junk vs. my 16 servings of great homecooked food with veggies and meat.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

I'd rather no one was in this boat. There's no good reason anyone should be other than greed plain and simple. The world is not honestly that scarce on resources, it's all BS.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

So was I abusing the system with sushi/edamamme diet at the local IGA? Hardly. I was eating whatever was the most practical and economic, and in my case at the time, that was grocery store sushi trays, or some of the leaner sandwiches/deli plates.

Which has what to do with people buying a bunch of lobsters and cooking them at home?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The difference being that food stamps are NOT your money. It's MY money.

Nah, your money is going toward the pension of a rich congressman.

He really appreciates it, while you are bitching about someone treating themselves to a good dinner.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

But someone on food stamps/income assistance is going to see those extra 4 servings as 4 less meals they'll need to make stretch.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I think the point is, such might be lumped in the same category as the lobster.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

But someone on food stamps/income assistance is going to see those extra 4 servings as 4 less meals they'll need to make stretch.

Except they may get another meal, but they are getting less sustenance. So they are getting less "food". Anyone doing that is not the person buying lobster though. That's someone trying to be fiscally responsible.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

He really appreciates it, while you are bitching about someone treating themselves to a good dinner.

Oh I'm sorry, my tax dollars don't pay for food stamps? Is it magic stamps?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

I think the point is, such might be lumped in the same category as the lobster.

A lot of things "might be" ... they were not in this article. So if the person's point was to agree, while making sure it's understood SOME things may appear to be luxury food items and they aren't, that's something that should be discussed to make sure people's needs are met.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So what about the working folk who have EBT in conjunction with a job? Their tax dollars just magically poof & don't make it to the same pool?

Are you really this dense?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I think the point is you're more concerned with how the poor person chooses to eat with food stamps than the corrupt congressmen driving a Ferrari on your dime. Is kind of messed up priorities really if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

I think the point is you're more concerned with how the poor person chooses to eat with food stamps than the corrupt congressmen driving a Ferrari on your dime. Is kind of messed up priorities really if you ask me.

Says who? I can't be concerned about both? Or are you suggesting because one person is doing something wrong I should ignore everyone else also doing something wrong?

Why can't we fix both?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Well, according to Missouri logic, my trays of sushi would be considered frivolous or luxury items. When you start banning one sort of food, you open the doors for more bans depending on the lawmakers mood and intelligence level.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

When you're starving, sustenance isn't exactly a top priority. The priority is what can I make that will end the hunger pangs now instead of in a couple of days when stamps or funding becomes available again.

But you don't know the circumstances surrounding the lobster purchase either. I can almost guarantee you that they were on sale/heavily discounted and even if they weren't, it was a special occasion type situation and not the norm.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Focus is a good thing, focus on the bigger problem first.

The corrupt politicians use things like this to keep themselves in power it's another way to divide the people and keep them from dealing with the bigger issue. Which is them. As long as we all sit around putsing with crap like this, the fat cats get to continue doing what they do.

Stop worrying so much about the little guy and all the petty # when the much bigger problem is using that very thing to keep themselves in power.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

So what about the working folk who have EBT in conjunction with a job? Their tax dollars just magically poof & don't make it to the same pool?

You should refrain from ad-hominems, they may come back to bite you.

Someone dense would not understand (taking MA as an example) a family of 4 can only make $31,008 a year and still get EBT. How much do you think that family is paying in taxes? Someone dense might not know, do you know?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

It is really more deep than what you suggest.

There is no fixing it.

Our economy is dependant on welfare.

How many employees wull get laid off when people are no longer to purchase what they want, instead of "what they need"?

Kraft, little debbie, hell the cattle ranchers don't need workers if they are not selling their product. Grocery stores will lay people off because there isnt as much need to stock up on the "chuck steak" . But I guess the illegal immigrant job status will increase from the rapid demand for beans and rice.

Like it or not there are too many people dependant on this type of system. There is already a lack of good paying jobs.

Lets just kill the economy.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

You should refrain from ad-hominems, they may come back to bite you.

Someone dense would not understand (taking MA as an example) a family of 4 can only make $31,008 a year and still get EBT. How much do you think that family is paying in taxes? Someone dense might not know, do you know?

Tax refunds are not in question. The fact is, they still pay in. You get no refund for everyday taxable purchases, do you? You are basically telling me despite our household's jobs that any possible refund someone might be entitled to disqualifies them from using a program paid for by their taxes. That that pack of toilet paper, container of laundry detergent, etc also helped pay for.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

When you're starving, sustenance isn't exactly a top priority. The priority is what can I make that will end the hunger pangs now instead of in a couple of days when stamps or funding becomes available again.

But you don't know the circumstances surrounding the lobster purchase either. I can almost guarantee you that they were on sale/heavily discounted and even if they weren't, it was a special occasion type situation and not the norm.

How can you guarantee that? It's very common for me to see people paying full price for luxury food items with EBT cards at Walmart when I go food shopping.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join