It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Wait.....retire means now, living off of Govt provided monies? No wonder our country is turning to crap.

Retiring used to mean you lived off of what you saved and invested in.

Gotta love redefining terms.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Actually it doesn't.

That freedom of speech thing is there.

Also, there is no right to Govt based program funds.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Actually it doesn't.

That freedom of speech thing is there.

Also, there is no right to Govt based program funds.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to call the shots.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Oh, you can bitch about it all you want and you can bitch even more when nothing changes or when it changes for the worse, according to your POV.

You actually changing policy, you have no real say.
edit on 7-4-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

So...poor people according to him should not be able to enjoy a cookie or some seafood etc.

A while back I saw this attitude personally... I was at the market early on morning, and the lady in front of me -- with two little girls -- was buying cupcakes, but the cashier had to decline her card. I saw the tears in her eyes when the cashier told her, and it broke my heart. I figured it was probably the little girl's birthday and they were picking up cupcakes before school so her class could celebrate. I had a $20 in my hand to pay for my things, so I just handed it to the cashier and asked if that would cover it. The mom was still so choked up she could barely thank me, but she managed and told her daughter to thank me also. I even let her keep the change so she'd have a few bucks for whatever. All good, right?

Nope. The old guy behind me was furious and literally followed me to my car to complain. At first I thought he was just some old man grumbling to himself, but no, he was mad because she was using an EBT card to pay for cupcakes. I wouldn't know an EBT card if it hit me upside the head, so I'll take his word for it. But really??? I told him he should be glad then that I paid for it and it wasn't his "taxes" paying for it. But no, he told me if she's that hard up, she shouldn't be buying cupcakes period.... and apparently I shouldn't either. It wasn't about the money; he just wanted to punish this woman... and her kids... and me. He didn't leave me alone until the security guard walked over and asked if there was a problem.

All I could think then -- and now -- was "God help me if I'm ever so petty and hateful."

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Hay BigFurry I think you are on to something here, this is an opinion piece from
my favorite lefty ch.
It maybe about humiliation than about savings.

link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: bbracken677

Way to paint everyone on food stamps with the junky criminal brush.

Will people please stop getting mad at people on food stamps for the actions of the criminal element who we all agree are criminals, that are also on food stamps.

What one person does on food stamps is not representative of the majority, especially if that person is breaking the law and thus clearly not a proper representation of a law abiding citizen on food stamps.

Way to misinterpret what I posted.

The point of pissing into a cup is to make sure we are NOT subsidizing the criminal element. No where in my post do you see me claim that welfare recipients are all criminals...sheesh. Reading comprehension, please.

Food stamps should be for providing substanance for those who need help.... not for providing luxuries thank you.

Any implication that food stamps should be used for luxuries is ridiculous and stupid. Period.

link   
I'm heading to bed, I need to get some sleep been up dealing with orientation and other type things for the job I just got so I can go back to paying taxes that contribute to SNAP since no matter what you might think I'm not a free loader despite having been on SNAP in the past. Need to get ready to start handling a job at third shift starting tomorrow. I'm really glad to be working again. I'm also glad to know I'm contributing to helping others who've been in the same position I have been in. Is a great feeling to know I'm paying taxes that occasionally help somebody else. If only I could stop paying taxes that make the rich even richer, but screw that, we need to instead attack the tax paid programs that help the impoverished cause heaven forbid a fatcat in Washington not get his third pool.
edit on 4/7/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kreatorkind

I never said it did. In fact, I never said I was in charge.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Citations please.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I guess......maybe having a great CPA will just work to make my taxes down to almost nothing so I know personally that my money is being used on my family, and not for people to purchase pizzas and coke at the 7-11.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You realize that those SNAP/EBT transactions are paying those "rich" people, right?

Or is that just too inconvenient for your life?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

That was mostly to Macman who insists that no one on foodstamps is a contributor to to SNAP Benefits nor have they ever contributed and that any of us who are on or ever have been are pure leeches existing solely on his dime.

Not sure what citations you want exactly as wasn't really aimed at you.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Everything is paying those rich people they own the stores and our economy, duh.

I'm not going to starve to death because some rich asshat owns the store I buy from.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Oh, people are free to say all manner of things. Look at Fred Phelps.

Thankfully Fref Phelps wasnt given a voice in policy making.

In other words: you can say what you want....but you dont get a say. We are a representative government. Your say stops in the voting booth

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think the republican tea party groups are the ones pushing this mindset, just like they did with minimum wage but they were wrong. Republicans came out and voted for minimum wage just like I think republicans would come out and vote for food stamps, because just like democrats theirs as many republicans on food stamps as any other group.

Don't listen to the shrills here attempting to push public opinion, they are lying to you.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

And yet, you're still here.

edit on 7-4-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
if you ask me, i don't think they have enough money from our taxes earmarked for helping the poor and when they do come up with some kind of plan, it's usually to help their buddies, not the poor. they also don't seem to realize that the poor have more than food issues, they also have emotional and sometimes even mental issues, that should be addressed as well. humans are not just walking stomachs

edit on 7-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

No one is arguing against food stamps altogether, the argument is whether or not food stamps should provide luxury foods.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea Most people receiving food stamps have already put that money into the system, by having worked and paid taxes in the past. Trying to tell them what they can eat with it is micromanagement. The politician pushing this gets a huge food per diem on our dime. Given that, I find it outrageous this crossed his mind and he is being paid to spend time on it. I would rather pay for lobster for all than pay his food per diem and pay him to mess around with something that isn't a problem.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join