It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

But they can buy steak and lobster with their food stamps. The ones complaining are those who don't like the way things are, not the ones getting assistance.

They can even trade their food stamps for cash, at less than face value, to buy things not on the approved list.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Ahh right and the most important point, this isn't even really about steak and lobster.

This bill is trying to straight up ban seafood from the diets of the poor as well as steak despite that not all steaks are luxury items.

Do you really think seafood should be stricken from the diets of the poor as well as cheap beef steaks?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The churches should be paying to help & support the poor - I absolutely agree with that!
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were required to pay a minimum percentage of their income towards it even.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A few things on this one.

originally posted by: Wildbob77
For years, I"ve thought that we need to revamp the whole assistance program.

1.) Instead of food stamps provide food to the poor. This would be nutritious healthy food. You could employ people to box and deliver this food. Also, instead of paying farmers to not plant, you could take excess food produced by farmers and use this as the basis for all food being delivered to the poor.

There's a program, but it doesn't often take root in small towns like mine that act as food banks. I used it when it was around my area but now it's gone. They would give you a certain amount of food once a month at a large discount. There would be a dessert item like a Marie Calendars pie, some frozen meat, lots of beans, rice, and cheese, and some vegetables. Nothing fresh though, all processed/canned/frozen. All in all it would be about $75 worth of food and they charged $25 for it. They would even take food stamps as payment. That program let me eat very well for a time, but it was partially funded from donations and partially from the state and they eventually had to consolidate it to just the big cities. Living 3 hours from a big city it just wasn't economical for me to do anymore.

When it comes to farmers being paid to not grow food, I've seen it mentioned a couple times in this thread so I'll explain what's going on. It's because if we overproduce food the price plummets. This isn't such a big deal from the consumer standpoint but from the standpoint of the government that wants small farms to remain viable and not just big agriculture it's a major deal. If we let farmers grow as much as they want without limitation they will price themselves out of business, leaving only the big farms, which then consolidates the industry. Long term this would be very bad for consumers.

2.) Welfare should be viewed as a short term emergency aid. After 6-12 months on welfare, you should be required to attend classes or job training for jobs available in your area. Also while on welfare you should have to work at least 3 days a week for you local state/county/ city. Imagine having available labor for doing whatever your city deems a priority. You could use the available labor to provide child care so other poor people can work or have them deliver the food in item 1.

I've been on food stamps for 10 years now, the consequence of being a poor long term student. I use them precisely so that I can work less and finish my education (and yes, I work too). Without help like food stamps I would have to drop out of school. Should I be kicked off, or should I be able to get the education to do something with my life?

Before you answer, consider this. If the jobs you mentioned were going to be done, they would have been done by now. There are already child care workers offering their labor. By replacing them with a now unpaid worker, that has to do that job in order to get benefits you have lowered the quality of that work (someone without experience in the field), you have created an uncompetitive workplace (these places will only take the free workers, not the previous paid ones), and the person who just lost their job is now going to have to join the system.

Having legions of laborers to work for free is not the answer. Many of these people may have very good reasons for not being able to hold a job too. How many complete screw up's would you want working on a construction site? Or drug addicts with children? Or anything else? Invent your own scenarios. If I were an employer there is no way in hell I would let the state bring random people off the street into my business, and tell me to trust them without an interview.

And I say this previous paragraph having been in that very position. I currently get help through Ohio Job Rehabilitation Services. One of the things they do, is they occasionally send me out to businesses to work for them. The businesses don't get any say in me and clearly have no indication of my capabilities. The rehab service does this because I have to prove I can work (mental disability, went to school to learn how to do jobs that get past it).

The employers all hate me the moment I come in, and I can't blame them at all. I think exasperating this situation by putting people into forced labor for benefits is an awful idea and that's coming from someone who is often times in a similar situation.

3.)If you are on welfare over a certain number of years, you should be put in something equivalent to the CCC way back during the depression. You would have to work on public projects and may have to move to where the projects are. You could be clearing trails in national parks or improving drainage in flood prone areas.

Disagree here. I like the idea of job training, but at the end of the day (and I know this from having been a teacher too) you can only give job skills to those who wish to learn. I think it would be more cost effective to encourage people on welfare to goto school, or enter a vocational training program, and learn how to do a higher paying job. In the education/media form I even posted an idea to provide this education inexpensively recently. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe it would work. The point being though, school isn't for everyone and I don't think you can just conscript people into a profession and expect good results. The army won't draft anymore, and we don't mass recruit for the CCC anymore (oddly enough at 18-20 I did a little bit of CCC work... seem to have hit it all in this thread).

Really, you can put the door to a better life in front of someone, but it's up to them to approach the door and then expend the effort in opening that door. Not everyone wants to do that, and not everyone can do that. And, even if everyone did do that it's a mathematical fact that we're still going to have a bottom 1% of income earners. And that's something that still needs addressed.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Is seafood a dietary requirement? No, it's not...and it tends to be expensive.

And last time I was at the grocery store I didn't see any "cheap" steaks - I get the feeling you guys haven't looked at the price of beef lately.

On the up side, they'd probably get less Fukashima radiation & oil spill residue in their diets.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I used to buy steak all the time when it was on sale and about to go bad, real cheap.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

And last time I was at the grocery store I didn't see any "cheap" steaks - I get the feeling you guys haven't looked at the price of beef lately.

You were probably looking at filet mignon and other expensive steaks.

But anyway... again why do you care? Like I said they will wise up once their food run out before the next month.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

technically you can call most things not a dietary requirement, seriously that's rediculous. Tunafish is seafood and a big part of most poor people's diets.

link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I'm not poor or receiving food stamps but I rarely buy steak and never buy lobster... They just cost too much.

Why should someone on food stamps be buying these things..

You CAN buy steaks, just wait until they are on sale. I got lucky and found cheap steaks, on sale. It was a 6 pack for just under $7. That amounts to roughly $1 a steak. If you know how to cook that kind of steak, they can be very flavorful. So will EVERYONE PLEASE stop all the winging and whining over stinking steaks! I'm on food stamps, I buy steaks when they're at about $1 something a steak. I am NOT buying $15 T-Bones!

link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
I get it - that's why I think it's stupid to spend what little you have on steak & lobster.

Then you don't really get it. The poor have a totally different concept than you of what constitutes an expensive item and poor financial choice. Where you see an item that costs say 2.5% of monthly income for a $20 steak, they see a way out for an hour or two. It's a brief reprieve from the constants of a poor quality life. Noisy neighbors? Gunshots on the street? Eaten plain rice for 10 days straight? Not enough money to use the hot water in your shower? And the list continues. It's a way out for a couple hours to just enjoy something and forget how much life sucks.

I'm no different in that regard. I don't buy steaks and lobster, instead 2 times a week I'll go down to a coffee shop and order a $5 latte, and then sit in there for a few hours listening to music, surfing the internet, and so on. It makes for a nice escape, I suppose that in the strictest sense I'm not paying for that with EBT, but really EBT and my debit card are one in the same, as without the EBT the money would just go into the grocery store instead.

This makes for a poor financial choice (in this case 5% of my income over a month) but it's a good choice for my mental health. It's really no different for those who buy an occasional steak.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Again I like the idea of the Ron Finley project , gave them abandoned unkempt government spaces, to grow crops everyone put in time it is led from the grassroots up, they can even expand on the idea..they get to make small business out of it and even a sense of community pride and cohesion ,in this our taxes will be lowered and the working poor can eat better without hearing or taking crap from pols.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

I've been on food stamps. From 2005-2010, I paid over $100,000 in federal taxes alone. I lost my job of 10 years shortly after my wedding and buying my house. Over the next couple of years, I managed to extinguish most of my savings staying (barely) afloat, when the business I was working for was closed. I finally dealt with the nightmare of getting food stamps. It was every bit as pleasant as I expected.

For the 6 months we had food stamps, we bought steak a couple of times. Ounce for ounce, more expensive than chicken, but not as expensive as pine nuts. Certainly not as expensive as "Lunchables" (for those not in a "Lunchables" market, it's basically a few crackers with a few slices of processed meat and cheese slices for the same cost as a 10 oz Top Sirloin.

The food stamps were enough to get through about 2/3 of the month. We had to cut back on fruits, vegetables and nuts and eat more noodles and rice. We ate less steak, more pork chops and chicken.

We didn't have to change some of our other grocery habits though. We already didn't buy boxed or frozen meals - like hamburger helper (vurp) or Lean Cuisine.

If he wanted to make any sense at all, that's what he should be concerned about. Why ban steak, but allow "Lunchables", which have waaaay less NPD (Nutrition Per Dollar?) How about pine nuts? $20/lb I believe, at most stores. Saffron? I believe it's priced by the microgram. SpaghettiO's? Tell me that vile can of awful isn't a luxury food item at 10x the cost of an equivalent homemade version.

I'm rambling, but in short, what a bunch of idiots these politicians are! I don't bother to listen to anyone who argues against food stamps, mainly because my net taxes (what I've paid minus what I've received in food stamps) is much higher than those with whom I've had the argument, but also because if not for the food stamps, I'd still be busy trying to pull enough cash together daily for food that I would still be unemployed. It allowed me enough time to be able to find a job.

Now I'm back to paying the salaries, benefits, and retirements of out of touch, psychotic politicians.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
You were probably looking at filet mignon and other expensive steaks.

Here is a report on retail prices of beef in Missouri. Many options under $5/lb, even quite a few at less than $4/lb when buying non-labled and hunting down the best prices.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Oh yeah most of them are under 1/3 the prices of the most expensive steaks.
edit on 4/7/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

And I doubt those include the steaks that just got the pink sticker of death. This steak must go.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Again I like the idea of the Ron Finley project , gave them abandoned unkempt government spaces, to grow crops everyone put in time it is led from the grassroots up, they can even expand on the idea..they get to make small business out of it and even a sense of community pride and cohesion ,in this our taxes will be lowered and the working poor can eat better without hearing or taking crap from pols.

My previous town had a community garden. It worked well until the financial crisis hit. Then everyone raided it for food and destroyed it. Those who ran it tried to rebuild it with more security, but at the urging of the local farmers who were losing money to the garden they were told no.

In my current town I wouldn't even attempt it. Crime here is... bad. On my block, and every surrounding block not a single home has a garden. Want to know why? Late at night the prowlers come out, they poke through peoples backyards for anything they can take... lawn chairs, food, trashcans, anything. In other words, any garden gets destroyed. There's no way to grow here.

If you want the working poor to eat better, why not just increase the food stamp budget? It is 100% economic stimulus. Every dollar spent finds it's way back into the government coffers since it can only buy one thing. That makes the program free in the grand scheme of things, and while doing so it helps several businesses and creates jobs.

That seems to me like a good solution. Right now we're talking 2 cents a week to cover food stamps for everyone. Increase that to a nickel and suddenly no one would go hungry. Would that be so bad?
edit on 7-4-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Probably.

Despite coldkidc's claim that this thread is about people on assistance complaining about not being able to buy steak and lobster, it's really about a politician pandering to those who are complaining about what they see in other peoples shopping carts.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

In my current town I wouldn't even attempt it. Crime here is... bad. On my block, and every surrounding block not a single home has a garden. Want to know why? Late at night the prowlers come out, they poke through peoples backyards for anything they can take... lawn chairs, food, trashcans, anything. In other words, any garden gets destroyed. There's no way to grow here.

But that's precisely why such a project like that is needed, if folks in South Central can make the attempt I don't see why it can't by replicated in other areas,just a few souls at first,even hardened criminals will take note. and as far as fresh fruits and veggies go that's a rarity in some communities that don't even have a proper supermarket so the farmers produce is not reaching them anyhow.
edit on 7-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: WhoDat09

Not when I see people on their brand new iPhone 6 talking in line with 3 carts full of hot dogs, chilli, chips, cakes, soft drinks etc.. pull out a food stamp card and pay with that.

That much? Probably big families. You do realize that some people save up little money every month before being able to get iPhones? I know of one guy who saved up for 1 year to get a good computer.

Oh you weren't aware? Everyone on food stamps are unemployed, lazy schlubs who have no jobs. We're not allowed to save money. It's against the rules.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

We're not allowed to save money. It's against the rules.

With SSI you are allowed to save up to $2,000 in the bank.

Edit -

Everyone on food stamps are unemployed, lazy schlubs who have no jobs.

OOOH I get the sarcasm. Good one.

Cheers
edit on 4/7/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join