It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kreatorkind
The opinions I'm reading in this thread are ridiculous. The average that comes out of "your money" is about $10 a YEAR from tax payers. That works out to $0.02739 (notice the decimal point) per day. That is how much say you get over this topic. The whole "it's MY money they're spending" argument is pure BS.

Suck it up and move on. There are more important things to worry about than how someone spends their $125 a month.

I don't care. I'm sick of being taxed at near 40%. It seems to me if I wasn't subsidizing so many people in so may different ways, I wouldn't have to lose near half of my families' income.

And don't tell me it's all military spending. That is less than 1/3 of the budget, and it is also a function of the COTUS where welfare IS NOT.
edit on 6-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

1/3rd of the budget is way way way way way more than food stamps. If you're so upset why are you treating food stamps as if it's more a burden than military?

It doesn't matter in it's not the whole budget when in comparison the thing you're complaining about is infinitesimal.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarthFazer
These elitist vermin are all about control. It does not matter what it is just as long as they can control people and remind them thier bodies belong to the controllers.

If a person spends his food stamps on expensive steak that means he or she will have less to spend for the month. But they are still eating. So what is the problem ?

So this douche nozzle wants to punish people for being poor , as if poor people do not deserve to eat good food. He probably thinks food stamps should be spent on peanut butter and ramen noodles.

Im so sick of these a** holes passing laws against us off a whim simply because they dont like something

mr. douche nozzle is probably in the pay of Monsatan and other GMO pushers

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Spider879

I already offered a solution.

Remove EBT/SNAP cards. Stop giving people money.

Once a month, the US citizen can get a stipend of the following:
Bag of rice
Bag of beans
Block of cheese
Milk
Chicken
Beef

Those are items that can sustain life and allow people to feed themselves. All removing the need for money going to people and money in turn going to corporations.

Sounds like what North Korea does.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

1/3rd of the budget is way way way way way more than food stamps. If you're so upset why are you treating food stamps as if it's more a burden than military?

It doesn't matter in it's not the whole budget when in comparison the thing you're complaining about is infinitesimal.

Exactly. I really have to wonder about what's going on inside of these people who are more worried about low-income people having cards that they can buy food with than they are an immeasurably greater amount of money funding a never-ending war machine and corporate welfare. Really, what is going on inside of these people...
edit on 6-4-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: DarthFazer

No, no, of course not. They should be free to spend the money they take from the tax payers on anything and everything and live it up while we scrimp and pinch pennies to feed ourselves.

you mean like all the "too big to fail" were free to spend the money they stole on bonuses?

and these poor people took NOTHING belonging to you.

the reason you're scrimping and pinching pennies is called taxation
stop paying them, and put your money where your mouth is...
you want to abolish food stamps, aid to the poor, etc;
then instead of trying to use the very machinery of the state, used against you, against others,

GET RID OF THE STATE!

but none of these "F the poor" types ever will,
they just want to take it over and impose their own theocracy/tyranny.

link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: proob4

I just sit here wondering...why do too many politicians always go after the poor...I think some of them must really hate the poor.

They don't hate poor people, they have a disconnect from poor people and do not understand why poor people stay poor.

They honestly believe that poor people have the incentive to stay poor, and can't fathom why someone wouldn't try to acquire skills to better themselves.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Boy I'm glad some can eat well while I work, pay taxes and eat fried taters, pinto beans and corn bread 6 nights a week. Sunday's we just scrounge around.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

DON'T YOU DARE CALL FOR CUTTING MILITARY EXPENDITURES!
WE NEED THE ARMED FORCES TO LOOT THE REST OF THE PLANET!
HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK THE HIGHEST LIVING STANDARDS IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET, ARE OBTAINED AND MAINTAINED?!!?
[/sarc]
another predictable side effect of abolishing aid programs, is a sharp increase in warm bodies for military deployment.
edit on 6-4-2015 by AdamuBureido because: spellling, need cheezburgers!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Do people really think 'doesn't want to acquire skills to better themselves' describes low-income workers?

www.pewresearch.org...-264094

Almost a third of the overall adult workforce makes within a couple dollars of the federal minimum wage. You suppose that if we were all super motivated, 30% of the workforce wouldn't be needed? People say 'those jobs aren't intended to support you, they're for teens lookin to make a few bucks.' You think 'teens lookin to make a few bucks' should make up a third of the job slates taken up by the current adult work force? This idea is so ill-conceived, yet so often repeated.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't care. I'm sick of being taxed at near 40%. It seems to me if I wasn't subsidizing so many people in so may different ways, I wouldn't have to lose near half of my families' income.

And don't tell me it's all military spending. That is less than 1/3 of the budget, and it is also a function of the COTUS where welfare IS NOT.

What percentage of your "40%" do you think goes to food stamps? The fact remains, $0.0027 comes from "your" tax dollars. You think less than 3 one thousandths of one dollar is such a hardship on you?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Promoting the general welfare is part of the US Constitution.

Some people fall on hard times, where they simply can not afford food and other necessities of life. History shows us hungry people will go to great and often criminal lengths in order to feed themselves.

Military spending and corporate welfare are the real reasons why you pay 40% in taxes. Helping out needy fellow Americans is NOT.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

You really think 'doesn't want to acquire skills to better themselves' describes low-income workers?

Almost a third of the overall adult workforce makes within a couple dollars of the federal minimum wage. You suppose that if we were all super motivated, 30% of the workforce wouldn't be needed? People say 'those jobs aren't intended to support you, they're for teens lookin to make a few bucks.' You think 'teens lookin to make a few bucks' should make up a third of the job slates taken up by the current adult work force? This idea is so ill-conceived, yet so often repeated.

I can see that, while you may have read my words, the comprehension of what you read didn't seep-in past the filters of what you wanted to see.

You should try re-reading my post until it all becomes clear.
edit on 6-4-2015 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

You really think 'doesn't want to acquire skills to better themselves' describes low-income workers?

I can see that, while you may have read my words, the comprehension of what you read didn't seep-in past the filters of what you wanted to see.

It was just a general thought sparked by that section of your post. It wasn't intended for you per se, I was pretty sure the hypothetical person I was refuting wasn't represented by you. It was just a point I wanted to make that based on and initially stemming from words in your post. While I can see I didn't make that clear, not sure why you have to go I to attack mode so fast. People are so fast to imply others are stupid and lack reading comprehension on forums. Sheesh.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Boy I'm glad some can eat well while I work, pay taxes and eat fried taters, pinto beans and corn bread 6 nights a week. Sunday's we just scrounge around.

Many people who are on food stamps...did work...paid taxes and became disabled...their monthly disability check is not enough...so they get some help with food.

A couple of members I think have come up with some good ideas.

To help stop food stamp fraud: require an EBT card that has the persons picture on it.

Also many people are ignorant about nutrition...find volunteers who will teach about good nutrition... and how to shop for healthy food... and cook at home on a limited budget.

edit on 2015-04-06T18:39:48-05:00pmMondaypm0620154America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: edit

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Why do we keep electing these scumbags? I guess it’s a reflection of the dumbed-down, spiraling decline our nation finds itself in. To qualify as a “leader” of the people of this country, every politician should be required take an I.Q. test and place at mimimum on the level of “moron”. That would pretty well clearout the Capitol, and then we could start over.

It’s sad that jerks like Rick Brattin are being paid to sit around and be worthless. We need to start electing “leaders” who actually represent the people and work to improve our lives, as well as the system we live by, rather than using their position as a soapbox to promote their vile, twisted view of the world and tear the system down. Instead of showing vision and proposing solutions, these guys prefer to direct their hatred and negativity toward the very people they’ve vowed to serve. They're really stinking the place up. And what’s worse is we’re gladly paying them to do it.

What a drag. This was once a great country...

PS: For everyone so upset about where their taxes are going, food stamps is the last place to focus on. No one should go hungry in this country. We pay farmers NOT to grow food here. It's f---ing obscene! I pay a great deal in taxes myself, but I'm not gonna cry like a baby because someone else is eating too well on the .001% of it going to food stamps. It's the trillions we spend on senseless wars that concerns me the most. Boo Hoo...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm curious why people actually believe there is a problem with people on welfare buying too much expensive food?

Other than the time you saw a person or two buy expensive food, why in the world would this be an issue?

Most people using food stamps discreetly use the cards without notice. It only takes a one person out of a 1,000 buying shrimp in front of a right-winger. They go on-line and this once occurrence gets repeated about a 1,000 times and the 1/2 of shrimp eventually turns into 20 lobster tails. The story of a mother buying beans and rice isn't repeated on social media because their isn't an incentive to do so.

If people on welfare do buy processed foods it's either because they are too disabled to cook, can not store foods due to bugs or do not live in an area with cheap fresh food. (Many people on foods stamps have to shop at convenience stores because they don't have a close grocery store and lack transportation). Also, remember many are working poor who put in a full days work and then have to watch the kids.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I edited my quoting you out an slightly changed the phrasing at the beginning. You really had almost nothing to do with you, other than the fact it was your words that set off my thought process. I just think it's a significant point.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

They honestly believe that poor people have the incentive to stay poor, and can't fathom why someone wouldn't try to acquire skills to better themselves.

You don't understand? Then you NEVER tried to educated yourself. Most poor are elderly, children or disabled people. For this group, there is no incentive to stay poor.

What you believe is not true.......For most people who benefit from foods stamps, they simply can not work.

It's a shame this false belief would cause you to harm the most defenseless of society.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Wrong
. Corn dogs are 12 dollars. I used to buy them while I was on a kick for them.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join