originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: lordcomac
SAS Survival hand book fits in the palm of your hand
That is a good start, it doesn't have everything you need to know,
but I do have it in my bugout bag double wrapped in ziplock bags.
I also have two laminted copies of wild edible plants in color,
and wild medicinal plants.
I have a DVD and USB key in the bugout bag too with other info.
I consider there to be 5 core needs.
1) Knowledge of the other 4, and other things.
2) Self Defense - weapons, care for them, and how to use them
3) Shelter - fixed position, and how to make some quick on the move
with the fastest best hiding likely being the Apache scout pit.
4) Water - mobile stealth way = USP resublimated iodine crystals,
non-stealth way bio sand flter and boil, can do with makeshift solar oven.
5) Food - think things in the wilderness that other people don't see as food,
thus the wild edibles guide up above, and stay away from deadly look alikes.
What some people see as weeds can actually become food,
but expect your body to not react nicely to a radical change in diet.
It is a good way to save money if the current recession
has made your wallet a tad thin.
There is much more to it, this was just a very brief summary
to stimulate thought.
edit on 5-4-2015 by Ex_MislTech because: (no reason given)