It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Bush Doing Something Right For a Change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Twelve days of talks on the future of earth's climate ended in failure in Buenos Aires yesterday as the European Union said that the US has blocked all efforts to come to even a modest agreement to reduce worldwide emissions after the year 2012 when the Kyoto Treaty expires.

www.unknowncountry.com...

Is Bush doing something right? Or do I sense IGNORANCE?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

as posted by humanoidcontent
Is Bush doing something right? Or do I sense IGNORANCE?

Really doesn't matter what he does, because despite anything related to "good" and "doing something right," they will be continually viewed as ignorance and bad to those proponents against him.

Maybe India, China, Brazil, Australia are doing something right, or would their actions be considered embracing ignorance?
Maybe those countries, Canada, Finland, Russia, the UK, etc., that embraced the Kyoto Accords and still will not meet its emission requirements are doing something right, or would they be considered to be embracing hypocritical ignorance?

Seems that environmental groups (Greens) feel that Kyoto won't make a difference in the issue of Global Warming at all?

Buenos Aires, Argentina (CNSNews.com) - After a relentless attack on the United States for opposing the Kyoto Protocol, environmental groups concede the international treaty will have no impact on what they believe to be impending catastrophic global warming.

Despite the fact that green groups at the U.N. climate summit in Buenos Aires called President George Bush "immoral" and "illegitimate" for not supporting the Kyoto Protocol, the groups themselves concede the Protocol will only have "symbolic" effect on climate because they believe it is too weak. Kyoto is an international treaty that seeks to limit greenhouse gases of the developed countries by 2012.

Greens Concede Kyoto Will Not Impact 'Global Warming'

Maybe the Greens are right, or are they embracing ignorance too?

seekerof

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Green do believe that Kyoto is not nearly enough, allthough went confronted with that we do still believe that Kyoto is a good first step. As for Canada not meeting the requirements yet, Ontario is starting right now. Our Priemier Dalton McGuinty has ask for 300 mgw of renewables by 2007(I think its '07 not sure though) he got a commitment for 400, thats 100 more then he asked for. Thats some good news IMHO. I believe a Carbon Trading skeme would be the most effective. It would penalize countries that have a high per capita C02 emission while rewarding countries that have low C02 emissions per capita. If such a system was enacted now it would hurt Canada in the short term, while the US whose per capita C02 is quite a bit lower than Canada's would either benefit or break even. There are alot of plans out there to tackle the problem, and we gotta try them all because we cannot afford not too IMHO.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
No, Bush is not doing enough.

The US administration continues to claim that global warming is a matter for debate, even though there is no longer any scientific question that it is happening, or that human-generated pollution is a significant contributor to the warming process.

As long as our admistration keeps a stance like the one in the quote above, it will give the wrong message to other nations about the importance of saving the enviroment.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So is the US losing it's power? I mean, with the Iragi war, popularity has been lost even more so, and this? I mean, look how many countries have signed onto kyoto, and the US hasn't. So far, they're alone? Will we see the US lose it's power in the years to come? And if so, who might take the lead? Or will their superior economy hold us futile to an indestructable force?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

as posted by humanoidcontent
And if so, who might take the lead?

More than likely, the other 'big' nation that didn't sign on to the Kyoto Accords: China.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Every tsunami starts off as a ripple.....Even though Kyoto is not nearly enough to halt global warming, it is definitely a start.....The U.S. will not remain as the world leader, because you have to LEAD to be a leader....Turning its back to Kyoto is giving a message to the rest of the world that the U.S. only cares about its own interests. It's only going to piss more countries off at the U.S. and why would anyone want to follow a country that was stupid enough to vote Bush back in anyway??

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well put. Anyone given thought to Britain? They do a damn good job at leading. At least in my opinion. Smart people. Good world leader they have. (for the most part).

I hope Kyoto works, does anyone know what happens if it is a success? Will the UN impose saunctions upon the US?

new topics

top topics

join