It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding the new Common Core for English and Literature

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Annee
The biggest complaint I'm hearing from parents, so far, is how much they have to be involved in working with their child.

They complain if the school was doing its job, they wouldn't have to.

Me, on the other hand, looks for and downloads additional CC worksheets, readily available on the net.

If you are basically having to teach your child, then why not just pull them and homeschool them?

And why are you having to fork over your tax dollars to a public school when you are doing to much of it yourself?

There is being involved in your child's education in a support role, and having to be your child's education. Don't you think you're crossing the line?

He's autistic. High functioning.

He needs the social involvement.

He's also academically about 2 years ahead of his grade.

The school has been fantastic working with his needs.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: cado angelus

Thing is that it really isn't all that scary. People make it out to be scary, but it's not as bad as all that.

There really is a purpose to diagramming. It shows you where the phrase and the clause relate as parts of speech when you go from the simple sentence to the complex and compound sentences and even more ... to the compound complex sentences.

You go from simple noun verb, to noun verb with the accompanying adjectives and adverbs and the other good parts of speech to where those parts of speech can be phrases and clauses composed of strings of nouns and/or verbs with accompanying modifiers.

I started to get it when I started to think of it as a different kind of math with its own patterns and formulas.

Then once you got a feel for the basic structure of a sentence, there was the magnificence of vocabulary and all the different shades of meaning that could be injected or altered just depending on which synonym you did or didn't use ...

I do so love the language and don't find it confusing at all.

edit on 5-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So is he in a grade appropriate to his academic needs? If he being taught material appropriate to his academic needs or are you just sending him there to get him his social therapy?

It still sounds to me like you are more or less educating him on your own with the school giving him social therapy.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So is he in a grade appropriate to his academic needs?

He is Autistic. He is mainstreamed into the grade level he can function in - which is half day Kindergarten. To put less stress on him.

If he being taught material appropriate to his academic needs or are you just sending him there to get him his social therapy?

He taught himself to read at age 3. His academics at this time are not the priority.

However, the teachers work with me on his level. Whatever extra work we do and send in, they grade.

I am not a supporter of home schooling unless there is a need.

However, if the school did not work with me in his best interest I would pull him out.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Well, you'll do what you need to. I just hope you don't run into a place where he's stuck in the common core room where he's seeing stuff he already knows and bored. Common core is designed to put everyone on the same academic page which is somewhere between the top and bottom, so the top is bored and the bottom is left behind.

For a kid who's high-functioning autistic and high-functioning academic, it'll likely be hell on wheels for him or her, the parents and the teachers. In my experience working with those kids, they tend to act out when they get bored without really realizing it. And there isn't much wiggle room for teachers in this curriculum unless they really go out of their way, and not even much then.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Unlike the Math portion of common core I can't say much about English. It has never been a good subject of mine. I can say that when I went to school, my third grade teacher skipped covering punctuation and it took me until 9th grade to figure it out on my own, and I've never been able to write well.

In jr high we read a few books but nothing with much substance. In high school we had more fun books and we would get to debate the meaning such as 1984 vs BNW. I wouldn't really say it was fun at the time since I was a stupid kid, but I would happily do it again.

Is that stuff all gone now? What do they teach in it's place?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join