It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no instruction on how to raise children in our schools?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It always seemed strange to me why in the modern “civilized” society there is nothing or no where one can get instruction on how to do the most important thing in the world, which is raising another human being from birth!

In these schools why is there not an iota of information on how to raise a child?

NOTHING!

And we wonder why we get a Charles Manson running around killing people.

Or a slew of gangs littering the street with corpses

They teach all kinds of extraneous nonsense in these schools all the way up to adulthood but not an iota of information of how to raise a human being properly and we wonder why our society is going mad!

edit on 5-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Because then we will have the ultimate goal of TPTB.

"We will TELL you how to raise your children"

Humans have been doing this as a natural instinct since our beginnings and now we need to be taught? Why not teach monkeys how to procreate?

Give the control and lose it forever.

Jude11

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Yup that's why.

Cause parenting is subjective.

And also it's not the school's business. They should be teaching Civics courses though. How to budget, how to file your taxes, how to live off minimum wage if required. Survival, cooking, and critical thinking courses.

Hardly any of these things are taught in today's curriculum.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Should schools tell you how to vote to?
I'd rather they didn't.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

How to raise children is pretty self evident really. Basically its Monkey see, Monkey do combined with teaching them right from wrong.

We certainly do not need any additional instruction from our respective governments on how to produce a better more productive drone. Willing to subside on a pittance and who will follow government rhetoric without question.

edit on 5-4-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Liberals / Progressives are generally not happy unless they are dictating how the rest of us should Live, Think, Act, Say, and Do.

For them, it is never enough, they must enforce their will and values upon everyone else or there will be consequences. (Usually with the threat of Government, do what we want, think how we want, say what we want, OR ELSE!)

Do you REALLY want them dictating every single aspect of how to raise your child?
edit on 5-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well when I was raising mine, the PTA offered new parenting courses, focusing on what is positive reinforcement versus negative reinforcement. I was raised by criticism, older sisters and brothers correcting me to add to what my parents, grandparents and the school nuns did. I therefore had a strong sense of guilt and fear, and when it came time for me to do some childrearing, I wanted to learn some other method other than criticism.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It doesn't seem strange to me if, and I'm assuming here, you're talking about the Public Schools. The Public Schools are designed to generate compliant members of the permanent underclass. Those that aren't compliant go to jail. That's what's called the school~prison pipeline system. Not knowing how to raise children insures more compliant subjects in the permanent underclass....they wouldn't want to teach competent child rearing.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Well when I was raising mine, the PTA offered new parenting courses, focusing on what is positive reinforcement versus negative reinforcement. I was raised by criticism, older sisters and brothers correcting me to add to what my parents, grandparents and the school nuns did. I therefore had a strong sense of guilt and fear, and when it came time for me to do some childrearing, I wanted to learn some other method other than criticism.

I too have gone along the similar path in realization, though I dont have kids yet. I ended up taking a Dale Carnegie course on human relationship and management and HOT DAMN did I not know some basic things.
IgIt doesnt have to be his course it can be anything. Positive reinforcement coupled with giving someone your complete aattention while interacting with them is a basic thing everyone should be taught.

Honestly before I learned these things I would of failed at being a parent gaurunteed now I have hope

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Why not teach monkeys how to procreate?

Jude11

Because monkeys don't contribute to society Jude, and the people who have children without that goal in mind are the ones who need to be put to the fire before they breed.

I get what the OP is saying, but it's not about education so much as it's about being qualified. There is no baby raising handbook. There is no "parenting 101". You have to wing it as you go. The problem is that some people don't have the mental capacity, or even the empathy towards their own offspring, to be able to do that.

This is where mental health, genetic and genealogy experts come into play. Take historical facts of the family tree, genetics and how these people cope with society right now, and figure out from there whether or not they are parent material based on the needs of the society in which they live. This is a remedy that will work. if it's determined that some people would not be fit parents based on the criteria set by people in the abovementioned fields, then those are the people who need to contribute to society in ways other than breeding. It's not a crime against humanity to keep people from breeding when that act does not lead towards the betterment of humanity.

The people who have their own agenda in mind, without regards for other people, will never see it that way and call the measures I just set forth Draconian or whatever else. Just because China has a one child policy doesn't mean that this proposition is the same. It's not. Have 10 if you want. Retain the same amount of freedoms. But a population that is qualified to help society progress is a population that is easily educated. Take care of the first and the second falls right into line. You cannot educate people to be productive members of society anymore. You have to make sure they're qualified from birth at this point. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is.

The panel who determines this should be experts in their field, peer-reviewed and all decisions would be free from any political or religious affiliation/bias. In short, it would have to be a business decision based on the geographic location/financial need of that location, of the parents in question. In time, those different locations would meld into one financially, productive and peaceful society, and it would happen for the sake of it. As it should. Anyone who thinks that politics and religion have the last and final say in ANY culture on this planet are walking around with their eyes closed. It's all about the money at this point. You want to get back to the good old days where people were more personable, positive and profitable? You're going to have to set things up in a way that the majority of people will not like.

You're going to have to separate the wheat from the chaff, and in today's world that is going to earn you a lot of enemies. Enemies who either cannot see or do not care about what these measures will mean to the society in 3 or 4 generations. One hundred years, tops. Do what is proposed here and I can guarantee you that your great-grandchildren will live in a vastly different society. Much in the way that we live in a vastly different society than our great-grandparents did. Only these measures are meant to be taken in order for a society to evolve. Not devolve.

If it helps, know that what I just proposed here are not my ideas. I'm just passing them along. Don't shoot the messenger.

The notion that just because people can have babies automatically means that they should, is antiquated. I could go into the worst cases imaginable, but people will retort that those cases are the minority. I would counter that with the opinion that one neglected child is one too many, and the ripple effects from just a single negative upbringing is a gift that keeps on giving......... and the argument would rage on. I don't have the time.

But if anyone can think of a way to get American society back on track to where we're not the laughingstock of the world, productive, strong and enviable...... I'm all ears.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm talking about basic stuff like don’t abuse your children

That’s beatings are harmful

Arguments are harmful to children

You be surprised that people don’t know this

That’s why certain abuse is maintained over generations.

That football player who beat his kid didn’t know that this was harmful because his daddy and mommy did it to him

You folks just don't know the harm in parental abuse

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

All that liberal crap you talk is nonsense. It’s got nothing to do with that

Get real

Were you raised in a ghetto were many of my friends are now dead

There parents were absent in their lives

They were in the street as kids learning ignorance and violence

There parents had no clue how to raise them

It was just a biological process then they just were absent

Or the kid whio sees all the abuse of the parents on each other

As well as the vicious arguments and fights the parents had

Politics, liberal conservative has nothing to do with people getting a basic understanding of HOW NOT TO ABUSE YOUR CHILDREN

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Liberals / Progressives are generally not happy unless they are dictating how the rest of us should Live, Think, Act, Say, and Do.

Whoa whoa, stop right there lol

Sure that we want for people to have easy access to what would be considered optimal by the majority, but NOT HAPPY without dictating is extreme.

One thing that I didn't learn at school is how the REAL political and economical systems work. It's obviously because the people in power don't want us to know...

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I guess our education system just assumes that all parents will want to actively seek out and learn for themselves how to best raise their kids. Often this has disastrous results.

Honestly though, thinking about it a little deeper, I have heard 1000 times before parents and women yelling at one another "Don't you tell me how to raise my child!"

If you think you can tell someone else how to raise their kid, those are grounds for immediate confrontation and loud verbal argument. With that mindset, it's not wonder the schools don't touch that area. I can see a lot of angry parents (probably also bad parents) complaining that "they will teach their kids how to raise young-uns".

I know that sounds a little hillbilly toward the end, but I'm from West Virginia so I sort of have the right to poke fun.

edit on 4/5/2015 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Where I live they offer a 'Childhood Development' class in the public high school which is an excellent, comprehensive parenting class. Are you sure that your local high school doesn't offer something similar? They also offer a personal finance class which teaches about handling money, budgeting etc. I think the schools are probably doing better than you think.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

What objective or subjective about YOU DON’T BEAT YOUR KID HALF TO DEATH

Or you don’t have vicious arguments with your spouse in front of the kids

Or that you foster love with your children rather than hate

Im not talking teaching them of politics or religion

Im talking about basic things they know about preventing abuse

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Raising children should be something personal but I agree that schools should give at least some guidelines especially about what we shouldn't do when raising children...

Let's think about technology. Generations after generations, we have evolved technologically because we teach our children to use them and they enhance whatever tools they have. It's safe to say that although we have evolved technologically, socially, we are close to primates.

originally posted by: Ensinger23
Honestly though, thinking about it a little deeper, I have heard 1000 times before parents and women yelling at one another "Don't you tell me how to raise my child!"

I totally understand the feeling but maybe if we humans weren't bent on thinking that we always know whats best for our own children we would of socially evolved more? People say it's freedom, I think it's ego that's in the way.
edit on 5-4-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I don't know. In most schools, there is always that class that has the week where they have the electronic baby that is programmed to cry when it needs something and then the kid has to respond by either "changing" it, "feeding" it, or just plain "comforting" it. It has an on-board card that stores up how responsive the "parent" was and usually grades are partially based on that.

If that isn't a parenting experience project ... I don't know what is.

And before they had the electric babies, kids had to cart around an egg.

edit on 5-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I agree with your points, but when it comes to the part about arguing..I agree that it is wrong to do it in front of them. Absolutely agree, that behavior carries over to them and you will start to notice that when they get upset THEY will start yelling and screaming just like they saw their mommy or daddy do.

I've noticed though, that no matter if they are in the room or not they are affected by it. Depending on how bad it is, they can probably hear it and some will actually hide and listen in when there is an argument. So yes, while I agree that it's never good to fight in front of them, it can really be said that you shouldn't fight near them at all. If that's possible, which believe me I know it is hard. No matter how much you try to protect them from an argument, it slips through the cracks and will have an effect no matter how hard you try to avoid that.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

I totally understand the feeling but maybe if we humans weren't bent on thinking that we always know whats best for our own children we would of socially evolved more? People say it's freedom, I think it's ego that's in the way.

That was exactly my point, thank you for summing it up so nicely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join