It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Court Rules Yoga Not a Gateway to Hinduism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: iNobody

Maybe it's different where you come from but..

The term "zealot", in Hebrew kanai (קנאי, frequently used in plural form, קנאים (kana'im)), means one who is zealous on behalf of God. The term derives from Greek ζηλωτής (zelotes), "emulator, zealous admirer or follower".[1][2]

Zealot

Absolutely not a pejorative

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Actually a zealot is someone that is a fanatic. I am just looking at history. Look at for example, the "zealots" of the first century that did not want to make peace with Rome. They were so stubborn in their fanatic fundamentalism, that they caused a war between the Jews and the Romans, which ultimately lead to the destruction of Jerusalem and over a million people. One of the worst massacres in human history. (These same zealots killed many Jews, and even the stockpiles in Jerusalem before the end).

The Zealots were originally a political movement in 1st century Second Temple Judaism which sought to incite the people of Judaea Province to rebel against the Roman Empire and expel it from the Holy Land by force of arms, most notably during the First Jewish–Roman War (66-70). Zealotry was the term used by Josephus for a "fourth sect" during this period.

Zealot

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Actually a zealot is someone that is a fanatic. I am just looking at history. Look at for example, the "zealots" of the first century that did not want to make peace with Rome. They were so stubborn in their fanatic fundamentalism, that they caused a war between the Jews and the Romans, which ultimately lead to the destruction of Jerusalem and over a million people. One of the worst massacres in human history. (These same zealots killed many Jews, and even the stockpiles in Jerusalem before the end).

The Zealots were originally a political movement in 1st century Second Temple Judaism which sought to incite the people of Judaea Province to rebel against the Roman Empire and expel it from the Holy Land by force of arms, most notably during the First Jewish–Roman War (66-70). Zealotry was the term used by Josephus for a "fourth sect" during this period.

Zealot

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
A really good slight of hand does not equal bad fantasy movie magic. Back in the late 90's/early 2000's, a great little show was on the idiot box, carefully displaying HOW magicians/illusionists did those dumbfounding slights of hand in the first place. Magicians country-wide were PISSED. Tons of folks hated him for showing the mechanics of mind-boggling illusions. Hell, the internet practically imploded when the uber-serious illusionists collectively had a cow over it. I think it was called Revealing the Magician's Code or something similar.

Now, Michael Carbonaro is my favorite illusionist at the moment, his illusions are awesome. I'd actually not prefer to know how he does them, they're that good.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Lol, i had actually forgotten that, oops

I did not mean to imply that you were likely to commit a massacre.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There is slight of hand magic. But there is also real magic, that is not done by a human. It is called "magic" in this sense because it is the manipulation of material objects by spirits, or demons. You perhaps cannot accept this. But it is true. And there are plenty of accounts of, say for example poltergeist activity, which is the exact same thing, which is not human, or normal.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I find the paranormal to be highly entertaining, but don't buy any of it as real ghosties. Ergo, "demonic" explanations are as preposterous to me as blaming Rainbow Bright. Yes, there is likely a very good scientific explanations, reasons could range anywhere from a rip between dimensions & other folks dicking with our stuff, to maybe there's a spectrum in this universe full of life we can't see yet, could be a bunch of technically invisible monkeys for all we know.

The point is, unexplained doesn't mean, nor need to jump straight to, oogity boogity BS.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I respect your point of view.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Here's another headline.

'Ignorant Christian Fundamentalists attribute parapsychological phenomena to demons'

They "respect" my point of view.

But refuse to learn from any point of view that doesn't echo theirs. They figure they already know everything worth knowing.

'Arrogant Christian fundamentalists live in echo chamber'

*sigh*

It's human nature, I suppose.

👣

edit on 131TuesdayuAmerica/ChicagoApruTuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

edit on 7-4-2015 by iNobody because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
-

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody
How the hell does no one in that crowd notice that giant hulking mythological creature standing among them? DEMON MAGIC

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Trolls are very real. You will encounter them all of the time. For example they will log in, call people names, throw ad-hominem attacks, and deflect from the original thread. They are not mythical, they are very real.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Isn't the original thread about some court in America saying that practising Yoga won't make you go out and murder folk for Kali, or indeed starve yourself into release from the cycle of rebirth?

The OP is not about illusion-ism and holding everyone else accountable to a different level of evidence than yourself, which is actually far more arguably a form of trolling. Not that i mind because i enjoy a quality troll, and am also happy to talk to you here as well - i don't think that you are a intentional troll by the way, it's just a by product of your fanatical approach and inability to consider and provide evidence with a balanced approach,

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Demons? Seriously? People actually believe in demons?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I always find it incredibly disturbing when one religion has to condemn all others as evil, and coming from demons...
it's so arrogant and close minded.
My God says all the pother gods are demons and you are all infected with evil, therefore i can look down on you and preach against you.

And TV magicians are just good at their tricks, their is no magic involved.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I always find it incredibly disturbing when one religion has to condemn all others as evil, and coming from demons...
it's so arrogant and close minded.
My God says all the pother gods are demons and you are all infected with evil, therefore i can look down on you and preach against you.

So do I. It's an evil way to practice religion; to interpret sacred texts. It's rooted in a primitive tribal us vs them mentality and a deep ignorance of science and other religions; cultures. I find it very upsetting. It makes me ashamed of Judeo-Christian traditions, which I consider myself a part of.

I'm tired of apologizing for ignorant, evil, arrogant, closed-minded Christians. But I'll do it anyway. Sorry everyone.

👣

edit on 739WednesdayuAmerica/ChicagoApruWednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I've heard religious complain that Yoga teaches you to go "into your own body and mind" and that is putting God second.

You are listening to your own mind, not God.

Kinda pathetic IMO.

There have been studies with fMRI scanners that show mindful meditation reduces the size of the amygdala. There have other studies that link conservative-thinking people with larger amygdalas.

Meditation can make you a liberal...so of course the religious-right don't want anyone doing that!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Why are the courts WASTING time with THAT crap?
Yoga is exercise I did it when I was young.
GEEZE this world today...EVERYONE is offended by SOMETHING...
Ouja boards for CHILDREN is offensive ...and dangerous
www.facebook.com...
YOGA?
Come on.
I remember a Christian page attacking Star Trek as SATANIC.
These rediculous activists on BOTH side of the right and left mythligical propaganda should be IGNORED no indulged.
edit on 8-4-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Demons? Seriously? People actually believe in demons?

It's not uncommon for conservative Christians to consider nearly all unexplained phenomenon as demons or the work of satan himself. This means everything from ghosts to UFOs. Many years ago I attended a fairly conservative charismatic church and participated in the Bible study there. Part of the class was the teaching the if you saw a ghost it was actually demon activity that you were witnessing--even if the presence seemed friendly it was actually a demon masquerading as a friendly apparition in order to pull you towards the occult. UFO's were considered by the pastor (and many Bible study students) to be illusions designed by the devil to make people question the existence of God.

Please understand that IME this is not the predominant view of the supernatural among Christians, but that teaching is out there among conservatives.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join