It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Court Rules Yoga Not a Gateway to Hinduism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Good for you, I'm glad yoga has helped your daughter!

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm just curious as to why the US Courts have anything to do with yoga in the first place.

It's never been anything but a form of exercise and relaxation.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Careful now. If Yoga led to Hinduism, then swimming could lead to skinny-dipping. Which we all know leads to Satanism.

I kid, but people are morons. Typically the loudest complainers are the least bright of the bunch.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well that's a relief! Here I thought that my stretching and spandex pants would one day result in the worship of a 4 armed woman god.
edit on 5-4-2015 by STTesc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

With all the give-ins to islam, I can''t remember when I laughed so loud at something so sublime to the ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I've heard religious complain that Yoga teaches you to go "into your own body and mind" and that is putting God second.

You are listening to your own mind, not God.

Kinda pathetic IMO.
Bit like self hypnotism, definitely a no no.
Once a Christian missionary remarked, is she not a practicing hindu. Felt like telling him, a practicing heathen is a better term.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Willtell

What a waste of taxpayers dollars. But, I guess if the kids are too fat to do regular gym class, this is a way to keep them occupied.

My guess is that you have never tried yoga as form of exercise.

IMHO it is much harder than even some high intensive exercises such as plyometrics.

As for ruling, it is just mind blowing that stuff like this even get in court... yet be ruled... some strange insecure people live in this country...
edit on 6-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

"The word yoga derives from a loose translation of a Sanskrit term meaning to yoke or to unite. To yoke with what? The purpose of all yoga is union with ultimate reality, usually seen as the remote Hindu godhead, or an impersonal God or divine force, through the realization of the divine/God-self (often called "Self-realization"). "

'All Types of Yoga Are Demonic,' Explains Ex-Yogi Purvi (Stop What You're Doing and Watch!)
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

"The word yoga derives from a loose translation of a Sanskrit term meaning to yoke or to unite. o yoke with what? The purpose of all yoga is union with ultimate reality, usually seen as the remote Hindu godhead, or an impersonal God or divine force, through the realization of the divine/God-self (often called "Self-realization"). "

Didn't Jesus say that "his" yoke was easy? Didn't Jesus say that the Kingdom of God is within? Isn't that what "self'realization" is, yoking to the God within?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
So wait, are there actually people here that think yoga is demonic or satanist or whatever? That stretching exercises are bad for your soul?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Wait someone actually brought this to court???..If were a judge on that case i'd slap the silly one with a stiff fine for wasting the court's time.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
Yoga is insane. I "do" a yogax workout, by do I mean I make it like 15 minutes max in before I collapse so far lol. The whole workout if I ever make it through is around an hour. It's way more that just stretching, it's also about supporting your own body weight it a bunch of different ways. I am not a fatty for the record, and that stuff is hard as hell. I thought I was in great shape before I started doing yogax and abripperx. Google image advanced yoga poses, my last girlfriend was into advanced yoga, just looking at it hurt lmao.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
So wait, are there actually people here that think yoga is demonic or satanist or whatever? That stretching exercises are bad for your soul?

Evidently it's better to get thy wideload to a pew & tithe than it is to get a good calisthenics workout. If the name is really all that bothers them, they need to reflect on that whole "name" dealie to begin with. I'm sure I could pick apart some Christian's birth name & call it a window to Wicca if I tried hard enough.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Verum1quaere

"The word yoga derives from a loose translation of a Sanskrit term meaning to yoke or to unite. o yoke with what? The purpose of all yoga is union with ultimate reality, usually seen as the remote Hindu godhead, or an impersonal God or divine force, through the realization of the divine/God-self (often called "Self-realization"). "

Didn't Jesus say that "his" yoke was easy? Didn't Jesus say that the Kingdom of God is within? Isn't that what "self'realization" is, yoking to the God within?

There is a difference between the yoke that Jesus was referring to, and the "yoke" in the name Yoga.

The yoke* Jesus was referring to was the one that was used to bind two animals together (for example two oxen) for plowing. Saying his yoke was kindly, or easy, was stating that his way of life was not going to be a burden for the people, unlike the burdens that were heaped upon them by their hypocritical religious leaders.

And Jesus said that the kingdom of God was "in their midst" or in the middle of them, or among them. Jesus was the king designate of God's kingdom, so in that respect as Jesus was walking among them, they had the glimpse of that kingdom among them. He never taught that God's government with Jesus was king, is in your mind.

As far as yoga, if you want to do some exercises, there is nothing wrong with that. But why call it Yoga, if it really isn't associated with the religious yoga that it comes from, which includes meditation, someone else in this thread already mentioned that.

The practice of yoga is a form of spiritism, and while I realize there are many many people on this website who are practitioners of the occult, and many of you already know this, and don't view it as wrong, and view the Bible as petty and stupid, there are people who do still follow God's word. And it condemns spiritstic practices, of which yoga is.

In Hinduism they have gurus that people follow, these practicioners of yoga are known as Yogis. According to the Yoga Sutra, Patanjali, the father of yoga says that the spirits that the yogis get their powers from are actually evil "celestial beings."

Part of yogi practice is meditation, not the type where you meditate or ponder over something to understand it, rather the form where you empty your mind of thought and deaden your senses, leaving yourself vulnerable to demonic attack.

If, however, [Yogic] meditation has been combined, as it often is, with such other techniques as fasting, drug-taking, extreme isolation, and torturelike activities, the deprived [mental] state can be attended by bizarre hallucinations. It may also be attended by ‘mystical’ events of the kundalini type
. - Understanding Yoga

By means of this some Yogis claim to to achieve a oneness between themselves and the spirit world, thus acheving unity with God.

This emptiness is dangerous for this is a ‘house swept and garnished,’ and though it is possible that God may enter in if the furniture is fair, it is equally likely that the proverbial seven devils will rush in if . . . there is no furniture at all
- Mysticism Sacred and Profane

Gurus even warn knew participants to yoga of the danger of being attacked by wicked spirits, or demons.

The whole aim of yoga is to yoke you to a supernatural spirit.

It may have been an early system of magical ritualism, and yoga still retains in its meaning an overtone of occultism and sorcery
. - Hindu World

control of the body through postures results in an indifference to the extremes of heat and cold. . . . The yogin can see and hear at a distance . . . Transmission of thought from one individual to another without the intervention of the normal communicating mechanisms is quite possible. . . . The yogi can make his body invisible.
- Former President of India, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan
in his book Indian Philosophy

How can anyone claim that the practice of yogic exercises is not opening oneself up to spiritisic and demonic influences from its origins, as some claim, simply because they refuse to acknowledge its origins, and claim that have merely secularized this spiritisc ritual?

If you want to do exercises and stretches do them. Why do you have to associate them with occultist rituals and tradition?
edit on 7-4-2015 by iNobody because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19208285]

If you want to do exercises and stretches do them. Why do you have to associate them with occultist rituals and tradition?
Is calling a fitness technique yoga going to turn the exerciser into a spiritual antenna? If you listen to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" do you need to worry about Satan challenging you to a fiddle duel? Talk about paranoid superstitious nonsense. I bet you have issues with Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: the Gathering and Harry Potter too.

How can anyone claim that the practice of yogic exercises is not opening oneself up to spiritisic and demonic influences from its origins, as some claim, simply because they refuse to acknowledge its origins, and claim that have merely secularized this spiritisc ritual?
Because most people realize there's no such thing as magic.

People call it yoga because it originated with Yoga.
edit on 7-4-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Is calling a fitness technique yoga going to turn the exerciser into a spiritual antenna? If you listen to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" do you need to worry about Satan challenging you to a fiddle duel? Talk about paranoid superstitious nonsense. I bet you have issues with Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: the Gathering and Harry Potter too.

You are correct it is based on superstition and comes from an ancient form of eastern spiritism. If you make fun of it why would you participate in it, or not fake fun of those that do?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody

You are correct it is based on superstition and comes from an ancient form of eastern spiritism. If you make fun of it why would you participate in it, or not fake fun of those that do?
Because the majority of people who do yoga do yoga for exercise, and not because they think they are summoning a demon. Ancient superstitious people may have had other reasons for doing yoga, but guess what? It turns out their rituals were good for the body. And anything that is good for the body is also good for the mind. For actual, scientific reasons.

Also, I'm not making fun of it. I'm making fun of anyone who thinks there's any harm in it because magic.
edit on 7-4-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

There is no doubt to that. But as you can see, even the President of India talked about the dangers of practicing yoga. Instead of denying all of their warnings, even of the founder of yoga, you would do wise to at least heed their caution.

There is nothing wrong with doing exercises and stretching. I do them on a daily basis, as well as jog and weight-lift.

I don't see any problem to that.

It's just funny how many people have no idea what they're getting themselves involved in when they start to practice yoga, and claim that it is a secularized form of the spiritistic practices from the east.

Why associate it with occultic and spiritistic practices, if you in fact are not trying to get involved with mysticism? Or is it that you are (not you, but those who practice yoga) and do not even realize it?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody
It's just funny how many people have no idea what they're getting themselves involved in when they start to practice yoga, and claim that it is a secularized form of the spiritistic practices from the east.

Why associate it with occultic and spiritistic practices, if you in fact are not trying to get involved with mysticism? Or is it that you are (not you, but those who practice yoga) and do not even realize it?
Yep. I bet it was that Debil tricking me into sin, with his slick water bottles and floor mats, and stretchy clothing. I'd best be on guard.

That's sarcasm, by the way. I could go down to a farmer's market right now, buy a bunch of pig's blood (they sell it, it's used for black pudding), draw a pentagram on the floor and chant in Hebrew "Satan is good, Satan is my pal" until I passed out, and nothing would happen. There's no such thing as magic. If you think a soccer mom teaching youngsters how to do downward-facing dog is a path to Hell, you have some issues.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

I respect your views, I could never do differently. But there is magic in this world, and I'm not talking about slight of the hand trickery.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join