It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Effort to Boost Ticket Revenue, LA Deploys Even More Confusing Parking Signs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
No idea where to put this since we don't have a parking corruption forum so I'll drop it here and see what happens.

They make it sound as if they actually want to reduce parking tickets and the revenue it brings in. At least I think that's what they're saying? Does anyone actually believe these signs will reduce tickets? I'd say the city is going to do very well next year.

Councilman Paul Krekorian, who chairs the city's finance and budget committee, said the signs would have to be "insanely successful" at reducing tickets for the city to see an impact on parking citation revenue, which has grown from $110 million in 2003 to about $161 million last year.

Kinda looks like a craps table doesn't it? Anti-up folks, you're gonna get caught and pay even more this year because who the hell can understand this nonsense?

www.blacklistednews.com...

I'd say this is a very transparent attempt at creating confusion in order to increase revenue. Could we even use the term entrapment?

Jude11

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

It's simple ,you can park if the time is in the green,don't park when the time is in the orange! The dumbing down of america! LOL

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

It's simple ,you can park if the time is in the green,don't park when the time is in the orange! The dumbing down of america! LOL

Sure...And the arrows? The black spaces? And 2 hrs between...? And the open areas?

Many might get to know these if they are regular but what about visitors?

BTW...It's red, not orange so you are getting a ticket already.

Which brings to mind that color blind people can't see the colors of red and green. aha!

Jude11

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Wait till you get your watering schedule.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You may have a problem if you are literate and don't understand hieroglyphs.

I can't stand all those universal symbols used everywhere. Why were those English teachers so darn strict back in school when they should have taught us hieroglyphs?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Sure...And the arrows? The black spaces? And 2 hrs between...? And the open areas?

Add, "in a hurry" and the OP is right. Another sign to break my mind and drain the wallet.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They do a similar thing in Michigan. With the Lotto. They keep changing the games on the scratch tickets and the ways to win are always a little different. That way people assume the ticket is a looser and throw it away. They used to have some letters on the tickets, fve for five dollar winner, ten for ten dollar twn for twenty. fif for fifteen, two for two. People got used to looking for the letters, most didn't understand that the letters were random after thirty bucks. Lots of winners got tossed.

Now, I think making the games complex and also the changes and people assuming things were real caused a lot of people to throw away winning tickets. The state makes more money that way.

They are preying on those who do not pay attention or who can't comprehend what they are trying to say. They make things complicated on purpose.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

edit on 5-4-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Quite simple if you read the instructions.
Does seem like alot of regulations though.

Monday to Friday
No parking between 7-9am and 4-6pm.
2 hour parking limit from 9am to 4pm and 6pm to 8pm
Unlimited parking from 8pm to 7am

Saturday
2 hour parking limit from 8am to 8pm

Sunday
Unlimited parking

I think that's right anyway.
edit on 5-4-2015 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'd have made the background color for the 2 hour time limit yellow, amber or orange. It's just misleading to use green (for unlimited time) and red (for no time allowed).

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have no time for this brand of nonsense.
I'll just stay out of California for the time being.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

Yep - one look at it and it makes perfect sense - even just from the little pictures in the OP.

Can't make out the legend at the bottom, but it seems to define what all the symbols and colours mean - what's the problem??

Complaining about it seems like more evidence of a lack of intelligence .....
edit on 5-4-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

imo they're free to entrap and ticket 'people' who can't decipher the sign. It might actually lead to a positive outcome, like a people who actually take the time to read signs instead of just glimpsing and breezing past them. On the other hand, signs are supposed to be absolutely bare bones and basic to prevent this type of confusion.

Either way, it's not overly complex, and since it likely won't affect anyone with a modicum of intelligence, I say fair game.
edit on 5/4/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I firmly believe that any traffic signs should not only be large enough to see from a distance, but should also only take a single glance to understand their intent. If you have to get really close to a traffic sign, and actually read and interpret it, it is too complicated. That is not to say that it is actually complicated, but because we are talking about driving, an inherently dangerous task, the rules governing anything to do with driving should be extremely simple. Thus signs should be incredibly simple, not only to eliminate confusion, but mainly because it is distracting. Anything distracting should not be a part of driving in my opinion. Drivers should be focusing on driving, and should not have to be distracted by overly-complicated signs. And again, overly-complicated is anything that cannot be understood within a second of looking at it. If there are words on the sign, they should be large enough to be able to see them without having to pull right in front of the sign as well. I don't know about LA, but usually if you can prove that the signs were not visible or were confusing then you can get out of a ticket. It just depends on the situation though.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
Quite simple if you read the instructions.
Does seem like alot of regulations though.

Monday to Friday
No parking between 7-9am and 4-6pm.
2 hour parking limit from 9am to 4pm and 6pm to 8pm
Unlimited parking from 8pm to 7am

Saturday
2 hour parking limit from 8am to 8pm

Sunday
Unlimited parking

I think that's right anyway.

I think the point is: People are going to have to read those signs while they are in their vehicle. Signs need to be large and EASILY AND QUICKLY understandable. How long did it take you to read that sign from the comfort of your computer desk without a line of cars behind you? Now imagine you are running late for work, cars are piled up behind you, and now you have to figure out which parking lot you can park in for how long and when you will have to move it.

On top of all that, why are their several gaps where no parking is allowed, seemingly out of nowhere? It's like No U-Turn signs. I swear to god California accidentally ordered an extra 10,000 no U-Turn signs and just decided to throw them up anywhere with no good reason.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Many of the streets in Los Angeles are 4 to 6 + center turn lane wide with stores and homes along them. These signs graphically depict when parking against the curb is allowed. If you're not parking, there's no need to read the sign. Also, these consolidate several separate signs into one.

Regarding reading the signs, how are the new signs any worse than this:

edit on 6-4-2015 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

I think the point is: People are going to have to read those signs while they are in their vehicle. Signs need to be large and EASILY AND QUICKLY understandable.

IMO Parking signs don't need to be especially easy to read quickly - by definition you're either stopped or moving slowly.

new topics

top topics

join