It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wave Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Will wave power work? It sounds good, fulfilling all the 'green' requirements. As usual there is no mention of the pollution caused by fabrication, transport, installation and decommissioning. It's only the 'free' generation of electrical power to feed the modern lifestyle that merits attention.

Until very recently I would have supported wave power 100%. Then I heard from a friend who had a private conversation with a long term wave power researcher. The researcher said, "The thing is, everything we build ends up smashed on the beach".

"The wave power sector has been dealt a number of blows in recent months, with a government-backed report in December warning that the situation was becoming "critical" with investors increasingly losing confidence in the sector." www.businessgreen.com...

Why would investors lose confidence? www.theguardian.com...

My personal experience of 'renewable energy' is that once it goes wrong the story just stops and everyone involved walks away. The excuses I've heard from renewable energy salesmen shows them to be as morally corrupt as any other salesmen. Will it be different with wave power? Will throwing money at it stop everything we build ending up smashed on the beach?

I know you'll find a plethora of 'this is the future' style feel good stories. Those of us who are old enough to be boring know utopian illustrations are invariably produced by people who have no intention of getting their hands dirty on a long term day to day basis, or acknowledging and apologising when their wages turn out to have been paid for fruitless research. Younger keen to be greenies have yet to discover this. Please don't respond to this thread with hopeful, futuristic dreamworld links that tick all the 'green' boxes.

This sounds good. www.energyharvestingjournal.com... If it's as good as it sounds it will attract the investors.

Who has experience? Which projects have proved to be worthwhile? Remember we're talking about wave power here, not tidal power.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I'll link this to show respect for other ATS members. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not sure about wave power but Synthetic biology power production will probably be less of a gimmick.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
The researcher said, "The thing is, everything we build ends up smashed on the beach".

I heard on the radio that a study of offshore windfarms in the UK has shown that the "life" of the structures is less than hope for due to "weather" and "the sea"!. Less life equals higher cost, so no surprise there!

People uderestimate the power of nature.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Will wave power work?

I think it will in the future. The oceans movement is an energy source that can be tapped to provide continuous energy, but all the systems I have seen developed look like they will be subject to wear and tear more than some other ideas I have seen proposed.

FYI I couldn't read the business green article without signing up so I may be missing some info you are privy to.

Here is an interesting site with several different models and projects. WAVE POWER That is only a few I have seen many different designs.

The fact that so many start-ups are trying different things means the best design hasn't been proven. They are all in development and learning from mistakes.

I can understand a level of frustration with the salesman, but remember selling the idea is their job. If you want straight talk go to the developers the scientists not the ones out to make a fortune.

As far as things crashing on the beach that is to expected when dealing with buoy type of tech. When I lived by the beach I would occasionally come across buoy's that had broke loose especially after a big storm.

At some point someone will come up with the right idea if that hasn't happened already and they will be able to test it where that will become the standard for the industry.

One that I have my eye on in Brazil looks like they have a good idea that removes complications due to deeper waters.

Brazil
edit on 5-4-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

edit on 5 4 2015 by Kester because: misread

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

The business green article was available free several times then went over to subscription only. I left it in case anyone was interested enough in the business angle to subscribe. The idealistic version of the story is much easier to access.

Good links, thank you.

No doubt a breakthrough will come from the various efforts.

An elder I discuss such things with always points out that using far less electricity in our daily lives is the best way to wean ourselves off oil, gas, coal and nuclear. And yet the issue is so often framed as producing enough electricity for our current lifestyles.

edit on 5 4 2015 by Kester because: add word

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Sorry, misread your answer first time round.

As I was researching for this thread I had a vision of a massive storm destroying offshore wind farms, then the salvage operation. Who would pay for such a salvage operation?

The nuclear industry admit they didn't plan for decommissioning. The oil industry seem to be paying no more than lip service to decommissioning. I strongly suspect the occupation of the Brent Spar was a way for the oil industry to wriggle out of the timely decommissioning/sinking of old equipment. Instead they use it far beyond its design life. The cracked Ninian Central being a prime example. If it goes down with everyone on board, I warned about it here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

The green energy industry should consider decommissioning first on the Seventh Generation principle.

new topics

top topics

join