It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deportation hearing begins for adopted man whose parents never filed citizenship papers on him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
He was 3 years old when he and his sister were adopted in South Korea. They were split up when they came to America and he was abused terribly.

He was three years old when he and his sister were adopted from South Korea then split up. Crapser's adoptive parents were abusive and never filed papers that would make him a U.S. citizen.

His adult life, marred by periods of homelessness and crime, eventually reached safe harbor. He is now married, the father of three children, with a fourth on the way. He loves America and says he would gladly serve in the U.S. military.

As a child, by law, it was his parents responsibility to fill out the paperwork. He ran away from home at a very young age due to it being a very abusive household. Now he has to prove that abuse in order to stay in the country. I'm sure if he were a DREAMER, he'd be able to stay with no problem though.

Government lawyers first have the burden of proving that Crapser's criminal convictions in state courts - from burglary to assault - are U.S. immigration violations that make him deportable, Walls said.

If the government succeeds, she said, "we have the burden to show that he's eligible for certain kinds of relief."

Those remedies include asylum or obtaining a green card (his wife will soon be a naturalized U.S. citizen). Another is to obtain a visa by proving he was a crime victim at the hands of the adoptive parents who abused him.

How it's not automatic that these children are not given citizenship status when the parents adopt them, I'm stunned. It should be part and parcel of the paperwork parents sign when they adopt overseas children. Apparently there are TONS of children in limbo now, some as adults, who were never given citizenship status when they were adopted. I'm flabbergasted and disgusted! When you adopt a child, you expect that child to live with you forever, so by those expectations, wouldn't you then get them citizenship? It stuns me that this isn't automatic as a part of the adoption services rendered. If you don't plan on signing the citizenship papers, then you should not be allowed to adopt the child, period! End of discussion. How is that now trafficking, but in a different manner?

(If you click the link "at the hands of the adoptive parents" it goes into the abuse this young man suffered at the hands of his "parents".)

edit on 4/4/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I do hope that things get resolved positively for him, especially as he has family over here now. There were so many displaced and undocumented people after WW2 as well. It's only in the last five or ten years that people have been made aware of the repercussions of not having papers such as their inability to collect a pension or get a passport, etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
a reply to: Anyafaj

I do hope that things get resolved positively for him, especially as he has family over here now. There were so many displaced and undocumented people after WW2 as well. It's only in the last five or ten years that people have been made aware of the repercussions of not having papers such as their inability to collect a pension or get a passport, etc.

For me, the worst part of it, they tried taking away his identity, telling him he's an American, he's not Korean. And then they never filed papers so he could BE an American. Kind of like dangling a piece of candy in a kids face, then yanking it away just as they're about to grab it. The abuse this kid suffered, burns, sexual abuse, beatings, no call for it. I'm grateful his sister escaped it. The state failed this kid in a major way!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Coming here legally has lots of hoops to jump through, and the smallest mistake will get you deported.

For instance if you file a K-1 Fiance visa, get married, and take a honeymoon to see Niagara falls and do some hiking you better be careful. If you mistakenly cross into the Canada side the US government vies that as your withdrawal of your visa petition and automatic deportation.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I forgot about that cross border sight seeing error, but I have heard about it. It's such an innocent thing to do too.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Coming here legally has lots of hoops to jump through, and the smallest mistake will get you deported.

For instance if you file a K-1 Fiance visa, get married, and take a honeymoon to see Niagara falls and do some hiking you better be careful. If you mistakenly cross into the Canada side the US government vies that as your withdrawal of your visa petition and automatic deportation.

Absolutely insane! The man should just claim to be a DREAMer and get automatic citizenship! Kidding!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I forgot about that cross border sight seeing error, but I have heard about it. It's such an innocent thing to do too.

They don't care. My wife came here legally and it's cost us thousands and been a nightmare and she is just now able to work, she got here in September. Her sister decided it was too much money/effort and came here on a tourist visa and stayed illegally. She's been working since day 1, has had no problems, and just recently married her boyfriend.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
He was 3 years old when he and his sister were adopted in South Korea. They were split up when they came to America and he was abused terribly.

He was three years old when he and his sister were adopted from South Korea then split up. Crapser's adoptive parents were abusive and never filed papers that would make him a U.S. citizen.

His adult life, marred by periods of homelessness and crime, eventually reached safe harbor. He is now married, the father of three children, with a fourth on the way. He loves America and says he would gladly serve in the U.S. military.

As a child, by law, it was his parents responsibility to fill out the paperwork. He ran away from home at a very young age due to it being a very abusive household. Now he has to prove that abuse in order to stay in the country. I'm sure if he were a DREAMER, he'd be able to stay with no problem though.

Government lawyers first have the burden of proving that Crapser's criminal convictions in state courts - from burglary to assault - are U.S. immigration violations that make him deportable, Walls said.

If the government succeeds, she said, "we have the burden to show that he's eligible for certain kinds of relief."

Those remedies include asylum or obtaining a green card (his wife will soon be a naturalized U.S. citizen). Another is to obtain a visa by proving he was a crime victim at the hands of the adoptive parents who abused him.

How it's not automatic that these children are not given citizenship status when the parents adopt them, I'm stunned. It should be part and parcel of the paperwork parents sign when they adopt overseas children. Apparently there are TONS of children in limbo now, some as adults, who were never given citizenship status when they were adopted. I'm flabbergasted and disgusted! When you adopt a child, you expect that child to live with you forever, so by those expectations, wouldn't you then get them citizenship? It stuns me that this isn't automatic as a part of the adoption services rendered. If you don't plan on signing the citizenship papers, then you should not be allowed to adopt the child, period! End of discussion. How is that now trafficking, but in a different manner?

(If you click the link "at the hands of the adoptive parents" it goes into the abuse this young man suffered at the hands of his "parents".)

He can file the paperwork because he does classify as a DREAMer, but to qualify for the program you must have first obtained a High School Diploma, GED and not have been convicted of any significant misdemeanors or felonies.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
He can file the paperwork because he does classify as a DREAMer, but to qualify for the program you must have first obtained a High School Diploma, GED and not have been convicted of any significant misdemeanors or felonies.

Unless I am mistaken you have to be 35 or younger, and he is 40, so he would not qualify.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I only hope they haven't doomed the poor girl.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazzzarus22
I only hope they haven't doomed the poor girl.

It seems the sister was adopted by another family and given citizenship when adopted. Hopefully that's a sign it was a good family. Sad they didn't take her brother.

new topics

top topics

join