It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Captures Green ‘Quasar Ghosts’ From Past Radiation Blast (PHOTOS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Hubble Space Telescope has discovered manifestations from the remote past, bright streams of gas, which look like immense looped objects glowing green, once ionized by quasars that no longer exist.

The telescope, which will turn 25 in 20 days, has taken photos of eight unusual space objects glowing emerald in the depths of space. Light emitting space areas dubbed ‘Hanny’s Voorwerp’ are tens of thousands of light years across.

The first object of this kind was spotted by Dutch schoolteacher Hanny van Arkel in 2007: she was participating in the online Galaxy Zoo project when volunteers helped to classify over a million galaxies catalogued in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS). The ghostly structure was named Hanny’s Voorwer

Hanny’s Voorwerp is a rare phenomenon that comes to life when a quasar, a compact and extremely bright region surrounding a supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy, begins to emanate tremendous doses of radiation.

A merger of two galaxies could create this phenomenon as well, when counteracting gravitational forces from two black holes rip apart stars and planets, creating huge clouds of space dust and debris

While the black hole “eats” matter, the material it devours grows hotter and the quasar throws out terrific jets of energy in two opposite directions, on both sides of the black hole.

I could not Help but to think this pic reminded me of the Infinity symbol .

Amazing Right !

How lucky are we to get to see this stuff in out lifetime !!
When I look at these I will admit my wind wonders and I think
"is this the light of Heaven" crazy eh

anyway i hope you enjoyed this pics as much as I did !
You can view more pics HERE
As well as read more about this Amazing phenomenon!

Kap

edit on 4-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful. ..

Nothing rivals natures beauty and complexity. Nature just is simply perfect in its own way.

Where does nature get the program to create and manifest such beauty and complexity?

That random nothingness big bang... creating everything and all its vast majestic beauty.. out of nothing but empty black

Anyways, cool stuff thanks for sharing

edit on 4-4-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I apologize if this sounds dumb but.. how does the article talk about black holes causing it, when they are not even proved to exist?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: raikata
I apologize if this sounds dumb but.. how does the article talk about black holes causing it, when they are not even proved to exist?

Well as far as I know their is strong evidence to suggest they exist .

TextAstronomers have found convincing evidence for a supermassive black hole in the center of our own Milky Way galaxy, the galaxy NGC 4258, the giant elliptical galaxy M87, and several others. Scientists verified the existence of the black holes by studying the speed of the clouds of gas orbiting those regions. In 1994, Hubble Space Telescope data measured the mass of an unseen object at the center of M87. Based on the motion of the material whirling about the center, the object is estimated to be about 3 billion times the mass of our Sun and appears to be concentrated into a space smaller than our solar system.
For many years, X-ray emissions from the double-star system Cygnus X-1 convinced many astronomers that the system contains a black hole. With more precise measurements available recently, the evidence for a black hole in Cygnus X-1 -- and about a dozen other systems -- is very strong.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Careful, you're bound to get a lashing if you question mainstream theories around here.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Careful, you're bound to get a lashing if you question mainstream theories around here.

Well, it is reading the forum (I mainly read the UFO
and Space Exploration forums) that actually thought me to question stuff. From what I've read about black holes they do seem to fit other physics theories. Thus the "strong evidence" as well. And I don't argue that. It is just that I've read it's not a fact that they exist and I thought I might have missed something.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Science may not be sure about the characteristics of the thing they call a black hole, but there are things out there that displays some of those characteristics, and there are phenomenon out there that seem to have been caused by what science calls black holes.

Science freely admits that they might not totally understand those things, but that doesn't mean that what science calls a black hole doesn't exist -- albeit, it may not exist exactly as toady's science describes it.

Sure -- the reality of what science calls a black hole may end up being somewhat different than the going theories today, but that's just the way science works (science is ever-changing, always attempting to correct itself). Even if science is wrong about the exact nature of what they call a black hole (say, for example, there is no such thing as a singularity), there actually DOES seem to be some sort of super-gravitational phenomenon out there that seems a lot like what science today calls a black hole.

edit on 4/4/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
so much going on out there!!!
its just beautiful!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The existence of a super massive object that does not even allow light to escape has been theoretically proven and observation of 'black' spots in space at the centre of various galaxies where numerous giant stars are orbiting a single object have been observed. Additionally Hawking Radiation which is omitted from the event horizon has also been theoretically proven. Whilst no beautiful colour images of these giant masses can be captured the gravitational effects on the objects around them show their existence. I agree there is likely to be much to still understand about black holes

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

As others have said, there is strong evidence pointing to their existence. Even if we are wrong about a few of the details, though, there is definitely something that exists throught out the universe in the locations where we expect to see black holes, and with most of the properties that we believe black holes to have.....

OP, those are some absolutely gorgeous pictures, even for Hubble!

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
How lucky are we to get to see this stuff in our lifetime !!

Exactly!

We are very lucky to be alive right now. And if we can stick around for the next few decades some of the best stuff is yet to come.

One thing I hope that images like these will inspire is support for a larger replacement for Hubble. As it stands now there is no large optical/UV space telescope funded to be launched to replace the 2.4 meter Hubble. The James Webb Space Telescope is valuable and has been called the successor to Hubble but it does not operate at optical wavelengths but operates in the infrared. (So no pretty pictures for the public to get attached to.)

Hubble turned 25 this year by the way. It has about 5 years left in its life before it is unusable and then sometime between 2030-2040 it would back to Earth naturally due to orbital decay. Sometime before that there will be a mission to have a controlled de-orbit and re-entry probably over the pacific ocean.

There are plenty of plans for an 8 meter, 16 meter or even a 20 meter replacement but so far, none of these has been funded. If they are though then they will make even more amazing discoveries than Hubble ever could.

When I look at these I will admit my wind wonders and I think
"is this the light of Heaven" crazy eh

All light from space is "the light of heaven"

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I sure hope we get to see more amazing pictures in our lifetime ! i have a feeling we will!

ty for the Hubble info and your reply !!

Kap !

top topics

join