It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pointless Philosophy: The difference between cuteness and silliness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Language gives rise for the chance to be silly and cute. These chances exist in most languages. In some languages, the ability to be cute is more widely used and accepted, such is the case with Spanish. When speaking Spanish, it's pretty common to be cute in any conversation. French, on the other hand, can sound quite silly in most cases. You don't have to agree with me on that one, that's just my opinion. My focus on the topic is going to be usages of cuteness and silliness in the English language. The main reason I am doing this is to highlight different types of psychologies which use cuteness and silliness for whatever purpose with the hope of bringing to light the validity of different reasonings.

How you speak to people defines a part of yourself, namely the part of yourself which you are choosing to broadcast or subconsciously choosing to broadcast. In my case, how I speak to people defines a large portion of myself. I encorporate silliness into my speach because it naturally brings an uplifting air to conversation. More technically, what it does is inspires chaos, so that in hope, the response to my silliness is going to be a greater ability of communication. Other people use cuteness in their communication, which I tend to shy away from unless there is an 'appriciative' context for it. Communication in humans is defined by speach, body movement, lack of speach, and facial experessions. All of these can bring depth and width to conversations which can allow for a 'timelessness' to make itself present. When timelessness is present, there is an ability to transcend. Alongside communication exists laugther, which is a main point to silliness and to some extent, cuteness. While both cuteness and silliness are encorporated into English and have similiar functions, they are different from each other and used by different types of psychologies. However, there are cases when silliness and cuteness are one in th e same. For example, the statement, "I eat speaches!"

People who use silliness in their speach often times use logic that is not valid to transmit a point. Often times these 'points' have no meaning thus accounts for the silliness of a statement. Usually, it's the context a statement or question is used in which makes it silly. People who take the world seriously often times don't appriciate silliness. These people appear to know everything there is to know already and go around making statements such as "I'm not allowed to eat peas." Actually, that may be true even when their mother has been sneaking pureed peas into their meals once a week. It's funny that often times children who have such phobias come from mothers who would do such a thing as to force feed their child peas. If you dissect the phrase, "I'm not allowed to eat peas" it is a pretty hilarious statement and says quite a lot about a type of psychology. The existence of such psychologies is a breeding ground for silliness to take over because the natural depth of human behavior simply cannot allow for such a statement to exist outside of a breeding ground for creating a slaved mind which either cannot fathom silliness or will be overcomed by silliness when it makes itself known. I turn to silliness because most of the people in my environment don't know how to communicate. I learned to be silly when I started studying communication seriously and discovered that most of the communication I had been doing was mediocre in comparison to true limits of communication. My formal study of communication introduced me to how to be silly as a way of maximizing communication. Once I understood that communication isn't about what you say, but how you say and what you are saying, I learned how to be a great communicator and continue improving my communicating abilities daily.

My perspective on cuteness within language has been completely nullified by my experience with women. My take on this is that my son wasn't acceptable to the world so they horribly crucified him. By 'they' I mean women. I can't find any examples of cuteness in women being apparent after I witnessed what they did to him. In our family, we have our own way taking back our sons life because we loved him. My son took is own life because of reasons he explained on a suicide note, mostly stating the ways women mutilated and tortured him and his pets because they thought it was funny to harass a 'nobody.' Literally nobody in our family wanted to see him die by being crucified by women, completely helpless by himself while treating every women he came across with the most respect a man could. This is why I am completely nullified by cuteness existing because I know that it is just a horrible psychological game being played for personal amusement. There was a time when cuteness existed for us (me and my son) because I remember when he came into my life and would talk about how much money we had because he thought we were rich since the TV sets in our house amused him so much. I didn't understand what he was talking about at that age, but later on I came to realize that he was a truly intelligent child and your typical prodigy. The worst part about cuteness is that we know it's ultimately what killed him. The fact that he couldn't understand it set him apart from everyone else, thus made him a target for the harassment he explained in his suicide note. I wish I could stress how much I hate to say that I hate cuteness, and in reality, it's just a word to describe playfulness. I would like to know what you think in regards to that definition of cuteness because we are all completely horrified by the stupidity which brought his death upon himself.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I am really sorry.

But I have no idea why you mean by cuteness.

Can you define it? Otherwise your thread makes no sense to me.

Cuteness is a more physical trait to me than a feature of speech in the English language. en.m.wikipedia.org...

Whilst I understand that you must be in terrible pain and are looking for reasons as to why he would take his own life, I am unsure you can blame one gender.

My experience of suicide is that it is a personal choice, often with no logical reason behind it. The person's thought patterns have become so looped that each experience reinforces them. They can't think of their own way out without coming to the natural conclusion that death is the only escape.

A similarly illogical process would be assigning blame to you as a parent for not teaching him the tools to deal with women as a gender.

I am not sure you will ever get your answer as to why he really committed suicide.

I would appreciate you better defining cuteness, I think that english may not be your native language and that potentially the concept may not be translating.

When you say that your son's language was cute, does that mean it was effeminate or sarcastic, or....

Cuteness could be misunderstood in many ways without some cleaer definition,

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure what I'm reading here.

At first I thought maybe this was just something your mind you got deep into without defining the topic for us first, then I thought maybe i was proofreading your communications homework, then by the last paragraph I wondered if my reaction was being tested- not at all to make light of the tragedy you described, it just came up very unexpectedly and it felt like a major departure from what I was expecting the paragraph on "cuteness" to entail.

But I'll take a shot in the dark at cuteness and silliness in language anyhow.

I'll take your cute and silly example of eating speaches.

I take it that the cuteness is in intentionally saying the wrong thing in such a way as to be understood anyway. As selfharmonise's wiki link suggests, there is a youthful quality to saying things wrong yet being understandable, which if successful inspires a certain gentleness (while without the pass you get for coming off like a child, that kind of stuff would be annoying and inspire others to try and annoy you back- which is what gets out of hand in bullying situations often)

Silliness I would take to be the literal nonsense meaning of the understandable yet mangled message. I like nonsense. If I gave you a reason it wouldn't be nonsense.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: selfharmonise

I'll start my defining a difference between cute and cuteness. Cute applies itself to the physical observations humans make. (Wheter or not other animals have the same perception of 'cute' is more philosophical debate.) Cuteness applies itself to the intangable side of the word 'cute' and makes itself as an adverb, that's what assigns it most of its intangability. If you believe that 'cuteness' is not an intangable thing please let me know because I would like to have myself corrected.

You mentioned 'effeminate or sarcastic...'. I believe that effeminate applies itself to the definition of cute and sarcastic can go both ways. Laws of nature don't mention effeminate or sarcastic anywhere, so that can be taken kind of literally and apply itself to the definition of cuteness since that also isn't applicable in nature by its definition unless you think critically by looking in between objects and see the space as being 'cuteness.'

Does that help clear things up? Maybe we should get a few more responses to elucidate the topic of 'cuteness' more. Also, in regards to my son's death, I had to bring it up because -- despite the fact that he never understood cuteness in his life -- he was more than cute by just sitting there and staring into the world. I use the phrase 'more than cute' literally and not topically in that regard.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
A quick question.

Is english your native language?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I think in English. If that is what you mean by 'native language' then my native language is English. But, the way I speak has more of a free form than English allows, so I am kind of handicapped with my communication for that reason. The handicap creates more of an accent with my body language, I believe. If you were to see me talk, you'll notice my hands kind of going all over the place. I believe that is because English doesn't allow for my potential to speak as best as I can.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Thanks.

I won't engage in this thread any more.

It is incredibly frustrating. I ask a simple and direct question and you seek to try to over-intellectualise the response and evade answering it directly.

Perhaps your son had the same habit and this helped create his problem.

I don't believe you think in English at all.

I have no english comprehension problems, being a native thinker and speaker.

I asked because you are using words out of context and assigning them meaning which does not commonly exist. Then when we seek simple clarity, you give none.

Don't respond to this post. i have unsubscribed.

I hope you are able to come to terms with your grief.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Thanks for your negativity, I appriciate it from the depth of my soul. Since you are no longer a participant in this conversation, I am going to take whatever is left from the (misleading?) dialog we have here and direct it incorrectly at you.

Here at ATS there is a potential to speak as you are without constraints imposed by society. Therefore, when I speak to you here, I am doing it without all the preconceptions which are imposed on me. So, then, when I speak to you here, it is almost not anything like English which I commonly use. 'Native language' then, in my own opinion, can be applied more directly to these posts I am doing here at ATS. This is the language I think in when I am communicating to you messages here on ATS and it is very uncommon for me to even start a dialog such as this in my social life much less partake in serious responses to the dialogs.

To use a most common response to your question, Yes, English is my native language.
I don't like to answer that in common speach, so that is why I gave you a more technical answer, since how I am communicating to you here isn't imposed by those constraints which are imposed on me by society.

Now we all know that you aren't going to read this considering the apitude which I received from you. I'll play dumb then and consider 'native languge' from a Pharcye perspective. Why are you saying that I am an Indian? Should I even explain my reasoning to you when I ask this question?

Perhaps your negativity is comming from my son's suicide and the misleading content of that paragraph in relation to the stated topic. If that is the case, then you know how much he was loved by me. It's also quite a big social issue which I always am dealing with. If you are considering from a third person perspective, as I am as a father, watching the developement of my son from childhood, to teenager, to young adult, and then to a real adult was personally educating. He never explained his reasonings for why he did the things he did through those stages. By the time he was a real adult it was known to me and personally touched me. I suppose I should explain that to you and in the context of 'cuteness' which was ultimately the final battle which killed him. Can you consider that? An adult was overcome by something which tormented him so much that he killed himself. Since I know my son, it's awful to witness that because I know exactly why he chose to take his own life. And also, according to what he wrote in his suicide note, him and his pets were constantly being harassed by women. The definition of 'harassment' in this context is actions that were taken against any individual. If you can face that definition, you will be considering the word 'against' as being negatively oriented with a relation to actions. That means 'negative actions.' If you then compare it to 'sexual harassment' we are starting to understand the covalent bonds of languages.

We can have a real debate here about several topics which are philosophical and the usage of my son as an example for us to understand that he depth of philosophy is applied very personally to some individuals. That's the reason he chose to kill himself over a complex relating to cuteness and women. Basically, his internal representation of women wasn't matching his internal experiences dealing with women. Cuteness then is taken very seriously as the main topic regarding his confusion. And the topic of confusion isn't at all hilarious, considering he was a gun owner and a well regarded adult when he took his life. If only you could imagine the thought process I am describing to you...

top topics

join