It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just chatted to some US tourists here in England, eye opener...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight Interestingly deep and thought provoking post, thank you.

a reply to: nonspecific I imagine I would suffer the same fate by not licking the boots of a horrible cop. I can't imagine being scared of the police and I've been arrested a fair few times over the years, they're overwhelmingly cool if you keep calm and friendly. Certainly in Devon & Cornwall Constabulary.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
See, I live in the UP. You only need to follow those signs here if you cross at the crosswalk. If you just walk across the street anywhere else, there is no problem. You are supposed to go straight across the road I guess, but I was always told that the best way to go is in a straight line, so if I need to go at an angle, I go that way.

In the big city, Marquette, they might give you a ticket. So I never go downtown there shopping anymore. I shot and go out to eat where it is safe to walk on the streets without having to worry about getting a ticket. Of course, you need to watch out you don't get hit by a car. Especially when everyone is texting or on the phone or eating a Big Mac while driving. I swear it was safer to walk when people used to drink and drive.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Wow, thanks for the informative post, so it really is a genuine concern in some towns that crossing the road wherever is controlled by penalty?
Wow, I'm struggling to imagine being concerned about that, even at crossings, pedestrian green/red lights are advisory only, not mandatory.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I find it safer most of the time to not be crossing at a crosswalk where people can just suddenly turn right on a red light into you.. I never give a car the trust that it won't hit me, so unless I see the drivers eyes, I tend to avoid crosswalks.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I have as you seen both sides of the UK police force. Although too young to remember it personally I grew up in the pit towns of the midlands and remember the scars and stories of the minors who came up against the Met when thatcher(hock spit) sent them in. A nasty nasty business.

On the other hand I recall a friend deciding he wanted to steal a flashing light from a mounted poicemans leg, he sent me in to distract the officer so I engaged him with questions regarding the name and age of the animal, his training ect. After a good 5 mins distraction the policeman informed me that the flashing light was attatched to his boot with velcro but it would be better if my friend ceased his futile attempt and that maybe we should go for a kebab and get off home in an orderly fashion.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Your story made me chuckle, but CCTV has made a massive difference for both us and the police.
In pre CCTV days I had a few beatings during unrecorded police cell visits (South Wales Police area), but even then looking back I was being a prick so probably would have wanted to do the same if I was one of the cops. Every step of your journey from police car to cell is recorded these days and I've noticed the professionalism improve in tandem, coincidence?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Wow, thanks for the informative post, so it really is a genuine concern in some towns that crossing the road wherever is controlled by penalty?
Wow, I'm struggling to imagine being concerned about that, even at crossings, pedestrian green/red lights are advisory only, not mandatory.

I always thought they put those signs up to generate money if they needed some money at city hall.
If a cop asks me why I was Jaywalking, I'll just tell him I am rickwalking.
edit on 4-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I've seen good cops in America, but they are fewer than 1/3 of my experiences. There was the time we had 100 cars parked on a State Highway, which is VERY illegal.. We didn't know, because as far as I knew the road was called poplar grove or whatever, but I guess it's also highway 56 or something.. He didn't even close the party down. He waited politely by the front of the house, while a dude walked past him with a Giant branch. Later we found said stick with car glass all embedded in it.. yikes..

We talked and I shook his hand and we laughed at some of the party goers getting hung up on the barbwire behind the house trying to get down the side of this hill away from the cops. Looked like clumsy drunk deer raining down the hill..

That left I lasting impression on me. All we had to do was clean up trash the next day on the highway or be fined for littering. That was all. Thank you sir. Funny, he couldn't see in the dark. All the freshman were ditching their beer in my yard, and all their uh hmm prescriptions and such. That was a fun easter egg hunt the next day..

Oh I have Lot's of cop stories.. Here in the US it's almost universal that you avoid cops. Doesn't really matter who you are, how old you are, or even if you've ever broken a law. Don't even talk to the guy. Just figure out which direction it's hardest to get to you quick enough, and go that way.

And because I don't give cops any inch and I have the most experience talking with them it's always me on cop talking duty. It's the rule, that no one else says anything.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think Jay walking came form when cars first came and people were a little freaked. But thats just a guess. It's a silly law.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Haha, totally understand, our local authorities screw their money from street parking charges and penalties for not paying.
I park illegally all the time though, it's a game of numbers and I've definitely saved more by not paying than I've paid out in penalties over the years.
I enjoy the game when I get one as I refuse to tell the council staff my name or address and turn up with cash which they do not accept as a 'policy' but they cannot legally refuse. They cannot legally refuse to settle the penalty charge if I refuse to give them my name and address. Like I said, a fun game, but it is civil law, not criminal.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I think Jay walking came form when cars first came and people were a little freaked. But thats just a guess. It's a silly law.

To me it seemed like a way to arrest black people. Black people in general where I live/lived are more likely to not give in to illegal searches and things of this sort, so you get them with jaywalking.

Why is it called jay walking?

I imagined it as a kid like the letter J, and I was like what? lol better walk in straight lines. hahahaa
edit on 4-4-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Hmm.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I swear it was safer to walk when people used to drink and drive.

My old man goes for walks almost every morning and he would agree with you there.
Our weekly dinners are filled with close calls stories.

I think some are a little elaborated but the point is still there.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yes.. Omg perfect post..

This should explain to anyone with questions.

That is almost word for word what happened to me one time, before they called in 8 more cop cars.. He even pulled up on me all fast and jumped out of his car like he would tackle me.
edit on 4-4-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Haha, totally understand, our local authorities screw their money from street parking charges and penalties for not paying.
I park illegally all the time though, it's a game of numbers and I've definitely saved more by not paying than I've paid out in penalties over the years.
I enjoy the game when I get one as I refuse to tell the council staff my name or address and turn up with cash which they do not accept as a 'policy' but they cannot legally refuse. They cannot legally refuse to settle the penalty charge if I refuse to give them my name and address. Like I said, a fun game, but it is civil law, not criminal.

Without going too of topic I used to avoid parking fines in car parks by putting the sticker on the drivers side as opposed to the tax disc side of the windowscreen. that way I would get a photo of my cars tax disk and another of an expired parking ticket with a 60 quid fine.

then I just rang them up and asked how they were linking the two photographs. they would say there was no way of doing so. sometimes I have intentionally waited to get a ticket just to screw them over at a later date.

Back on topic I understand Germany also has J walking laws and they are pretty hardcore about it.

I am unsure if it is even illegal to cross a motorway in the UK although will admit its a bit like playing frogger on the ZX Spectrum and not something I wuld reccomend.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In my experience myself, and the officers I work with, generally do not bother to write jaywalking tickets.

That said, in certain areas where jaywalking is more prevalent, so is vehicle vs pedestrian accidents.

What usually happens, is business owners complain about the people jaywalking and the accidents they sometimes cause.

They usually state they are upset because when an accident like that occurs traffic is blocked, sometimes for hours, and it hurts their business.

They demand that something is done about it.

The usual response is to increase the patrol presence in that area and write jaywalking citations in attempt to stop the violations. In turn, this usually reduces the amount of vehicle vs pedestrian accidents.

This makes the business owners happy.

I am not saying that some officers don't just stop people for jaywalking without a citizen complaint, but I will hazard a guess that if you have strong jaywalking enforcement in your area it is probably due to higher accidents and citizen complaints.

edit on 4-4-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Private security guards are more concerning to me than police.
I actually felt relief a couple of years ago when police arrived while my back was against the wall in a standoff against a few private guards. I am glad UK private security are prohibited from carrying weapons/tazers/batons/whatever because if they think you will be a difficult fight they will generally back off and wait for the cops.
...oh in that incident I was not arrested, and the guards were gutted about it, pricks. One lives in my street and I sometimes mock him that he backed down with his 3 mates, we are of course not friends lol

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I am unsure if it is even illegal to cross a motorway in the UK although will admit its a bit like playing frogger on the ZX Spectrum and not something I wuld reccomend.
Hahaha!! Brilliant, really did laugh out loud at that, I had Frogger on a Spectrum.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

If i met a copper in the states, i reckon it's even odds that i'd end up shot just for being a sarky twat.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Another genuine (and loud) laugh out loud!!! Thanks man, and all who have replied so far, was well worth authoring this silly little anecdotal thread of my walk to the shop earlier!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join