It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just chatted to some US tourists here in England, eye opener...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Tourist season has just started here, last week you would see a few people and a the odd dog in town, this weekend the streets are packed with all manner of British accents and foreign languages.

Anyway, I just nipped to my local shop on the high street and saw a group of people waiting by the pedestrian crossing while there was not a car in sight from either direction. I walked past them and started crossing then overheard a US accent saying "he's not waiting" so I turned and said "it's ok, you don't have to wait for the 'green man' light to come on, if it appears safe it's not against the law to cross the road, even where there is no designated crossing point".
A voice from the group said thank you and that they were just playing safe as where they are from (somewhere in Texas) they could get a ticket for crossing in the wrong place or if the lights say no. I told them that no such laws exist here except for 70mph motorways so don't worry, if it's safe, just cross wherever.
I also said that if they want a picture of themselves wearing the silly old-fashioned police helmet that our cops wear then just ask nicely and most cops will agree, especially if it is a pretty female who asks lol.
They chuckled, and I bid them farewell saying thanks for spending your dollars in the UK.

Fined for crossing the road if it's safe?! Different worlds completely, and we're supposed to be the oppressed subjects of the Crown compared to the land of the free.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I can never get on with the idea of "Jaywalking", it just seems so ridiculously authoritarian - like you'd get a ticket (for what? the pantomime?) for not having your shoelaces aligned correctly.

But then, not being able to walk into a shop and buy a pistol must seem pretty weird for peeps who visit us from the states.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As an American, I think that living in a police state wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so corrupt and money hungry.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
You poor soul .. good luck surviving terrorist.. oops erm tourist season ... recommend several pints at pub .. also remember NEVER feed them theyll follow you home then you have big problems .. also if get questioned by a tourist either play deaf or act like you dont understand english ...

A sympathy beer for you

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Here in the U.S., it varies hugely from one city to the next. I live in a large midwestern city and the cops here don't
enforce any laws short of violent felonies. People drive at speeds exceeding the limit by nearly double, they run red lights, and drive wrecklessly in general. Once in a while you'll see someone get ticketed.

Hell would freeze over before the local cops cited someone for improperly crossing a street.

edit on 4-4-2015 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
But then, not being able to walk into a shop and buy a pistol must seem pretty weird for peeps who visit us from the states.
True, but while the worst our average cop can do is hit us with an extendable baton I don't feel any need for a pistol.
...that thread about police killings in the US is rather chilling and speaks volumes to me. Totally random coincidence I met some nice US folks on the way to the shop though...that Texas accent is sexy as, pity they were obviously couples though or I would have been tempted to show them around a few places on the hunt lol.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
Haha!
I love tourist season, everyone is happy on holiday, it's lovely.
I can even recognise the 'lost tourist' look on their faces now and volunteer assistance saying "you're lost aren't you?" with a friendly smile even though I'm quite a scary looking bloke lol.
Tourists are brilliant, we'd all be piss poor in the SW of England if they stopped coming one Summer!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

It's funny you should bring this up, I was talking to Mrsnonspecific the other day about how I thought we were pretty similar culturally but after a few years on ATS I realise how different we are.

My Ex stepfather once told me he saw an elderly American tourist complaing to a french Gendarme that all the road signs were in french(While in france). It was all the gendarme could do to explain that it was because they spoke French in France but she was having non of it.

Also our friends stateside will proberbly never understand the extreme discomfort of standing on an upturned 3 pin plug.

Worlds apart, I often think the only similarity is the language we speak but even then take a Texan and a Geordie and see what happens!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Worlds apart, I often think the only similarity is the language we speak but even then take a Texan and a Geordie and see what happens!
Ohmygosh two accents I love (now), I was well attracted to the Texan woman who spoke to me, just her voice haha, I think my eyes gave it away as her bloke put his arm around her when we spoke lol.
Geordie accents though, oh they rock. I went out with a Geordie lass some years ago and I would fall into dreamland while she spoke...oh and when she was angry! ...another story!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Take it easy they just weren't use to being monitored by CCTV.
edit on 4-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

But the law is still on the books, most cops IMO don't bother you for jaywalking just for jaywalking but more fishing for something bigger.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Can't blame them, especially in large and small downtown, but not limited to, there seems to be patrols for this. Not only tickets but some officers really mean business about it, so much so it made the news, plus brought suspensions, etc. There was a video/article about a woman jogging that was chased down(may have been beat?) by police for not using a crosswalk. A man was tazered in Florida for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse
Haha, yep we were directly underneath a CCTV camera where we spoke.
I wave at the cameras when walking home drunk, I know a couple of the council security guys who watch them, I don't give a toss, I even tease them by hiding my face sometimes and/or put my hand over the ones in the lift/elevator in municipal buildings.
Wear a hood and sunglasses, it aint rocket science.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

On this side of the pond, we're good puritans and have to be forced to do anything - being born sinful and evil and all.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There are even a lot of European cultural variations of everyday life that are significant.

For example:

The German liking for cohesive communities, everyone pulling their weight and strong ethical work ethic (recent airline pilots not part of the conversation please).

Parisienne chic (ladies that consider themselves stylistically superior), giving that air of ''je ne sais quoi'' (I am too cool and beautiful for you).

The Spanish ''manyana'' ethic and taking long lunch breaks.

The Italian regard for the right coffee to have at the right time of the day, latte at dinner might get some funny looks, and passion generally unseen in the more nonchalant British.

And plenty more lands where the culture is similar but inherently different, sometimes not even realised until you live with someone from there or spend relaxation time with them regularly or live there.
edit on 4-4-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
There are even a lot of European cultural variations of everyday life that are significant.

For example:

The German liking for cohesive communities, everyone pulling their weight and strong ethical work ethic (recent airline pilots not part of the conversation please).

Parisienne chic (ladies that consider themselves stylistically superior), giving that air of ''je ne sais quoi'' (I am too cool and beautiful for you).

The Spanish ''manyana'' ethic and taking long lunch breaks.

The Italian regard for the right coffee to have at the right time of the day, latte at dinner might get some funny looks, and passion generally unseen in the more nonchalant British.

And plenty more lands where the culture is similar but inherently different, sometimes not even realised until you live with someone from there or spend relaxation time with them regularly or live there.

I had to laugh at your reference to the spanish and Manyana, I work a lot of music festivals and we have a spanish crew that come over, most old friends from over the years.

It's always wonderfull to see them arguing about a half hour lunch break then take an hour or so and drink wine and bask in the sunshine.

The word has become part of my vocabulary and it's one I intend to keep.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

They must be from Austin or something.

Where i live in Texas, you cross the street where ever and when ever you want. There may be laws regarding parking....but no one has ever gotten a parking ticket. Even if you block a fire lane. The fire marshall may scowl. A cop may make some empty threats....but no ticket is issued. I had a cop once say, "Hey, if the owner of this car comes out will you call us?" Not to say our cops are friendly...they are jerks (at least in this town).

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

I can never get on with the idea of "Jaywalking", it just seems so ridiculously authoritarian - like you'd get a ticket (for what? the pantomime?) for not having your shoelaces aligned correctly.

Funny enough.. This was the exact excuse a Cop used to not let me just keep walking.. I may have been walking at 2am looking for snacks.. was 1 month until I was 21..
Possession of alcohol by someone under 21.. Oh yea and I possessed it in my stomach because I had it on my breath.. Yea lol..

But it's not normal for me or anyone I know to sit around waiting for a light to change, or to even use crosswalks unless they are right on the way.. You go to a more uppity area like North Raleigh and they all sit there like a heard of animals.. I Find it quite funny, well that and their absolute terror at a light rain..

You'd be surprised how many Americans don't have that classic American supposed to be free vibe. In 9th grade I remember in English class, no not about you guys haha, that we were asked to stand at the front of the room, on an imaginary scale of 1 to 10 is it ok to question authority, or should you follow authority because it's the law. Gave more specific parts for middle numbers forget..

Me and one other person were on 10 ALWAYS question authority.

that was something like 8% of the class? That was a weird one for me. It just seems natural.. How could you not wonder why someone else is telling you to do something?

So if you are at a party and spill some beer on your shirt as you slowly spin around saying, "Oh I think I'm lactating!" Only to find you are now staring in to a 6 foot 4 220lb cops chest... When he says "PUT the BEER.. DOOOWN.. and Start Walking!" My Immediate thought which I immediately said in a polite.... "WWHHYYY!!!!???" was a pretty normal reaction.

Surprised he didn't throw me down or something, After I found his answer to be really funny.. "Cause I said so." Pictures of my mom flooding through my brain..

but I honestly couldn't figure out why he was telling a 23 year old who doesn't drive that I have to leave a house, that for all he knows could be my house. And to leave my beer there.. I own that buddy.

They get you in school.. It's one big puppy obedience training test.. Follow every instruction in this order sit down stand up do this do that, follow the instructions on the sheet, no do it this way... I ended up in trouble a lot, but needless to say having lots of questions only comes from curious mind. I was always a pretty smart little dude.

You can see why when young people come on ATS it's all EVERYONES a SHEEP ahhh the world is ending!! No one Will stand up. They own everything we are dying.. Ahh ahh ahhh... Because that's what it looks like in some areas.

Of course US of A is a big place. Not really such a thing as an "American."

edit on 4-4-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Lol, I'm sure you guys are on average the same as us, I've liked every US citizen I've ever met, maybe 50+ over the years, but I am not drawn towards visiting your nation.
I've crossed illegally into and out of Cambodia a few times paying US$50 instead of showing a visa, not scary at all, really friendly nice shady trade...but dealing with US border guards and general law enforcement is something that discourages me from ever travelling there.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: FyreByrd
Lol, I'm sure you guys are on average the same as us, I've liked every US citizen I've ever met, maybe 50+ over the years, but I am not drawn towards visiting your nation.
I've crossed illegally into and out of Cambodia a few times paying US$50 instead of showing a visa, not scary at all, really friendly nice shady trade...but dealing with US border guards and general law enforcement is something that discourages me from ever travelling there.

I am not sure I would fare well in the US. Theres a lot I like about it but my English attitude and what I would call my sense of humour would have me either tasered, shot, beaten and looking at 5 to 10 in the pen at least.

I would J walk just because I was not allowed to out of compulsion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join