It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Parents Whose Kids Were Found Locked in Cage Get No Prison Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

A Virginia mother and father who pleaded guilty to felony child neglect after their young kids were found locked in a cage will not serve any prison time.

Link

Welcome to backwards land. I posted this on ATS because I'm interested in hearing your opinions. Does the punishment fit the crime? Should they be allowed to rehabilitate and see their children again?

Deputies said the 1-year-old boy and 3- and 4-year-old girls shared a mattress inside the cage, and were kept behind the gate day and night. "The carpet was feces-stained and urine-stained. It would offend anyone," Spotsylvania Commonwealth's Attorney William Neely told WWBT.

I've seen people take better care of their pets. What these two have done to their children shows just how heartless the really are. It's hard to trust they'll do the right thing if given the opportunity.

Children who aren't born into a loving family are usually the ones who grow up and take their frustrations out on others, some even take it to the extreme. In my opinion, there are too many "accident babies" born into broken homes with irresponsible caretakers. Children that are never given the love and attention they desperately need at an early age can develop severe mental shortcomings.

"They're relatively young," Neely told the station. "This is their first felony conviction. … You have to show that the parents or caretaker intended to cause harm and that it in fact did. In this case, although the children were in nasty, filthy conditions and had skin rashes, they were healthy."

Healthy? No matter how "healthy" these children seemed to be, one cannot excuse the impact this may of had on their mental health. Court records showed that the 1 year old child had bruises on his forehead from banging his head on the door of the gate. The children also lacked any social skills because they had almost no contact with the public. That room was their world.

While Suggs and Kangas won't serve prison time, they have been put on indefinite supervised probation, ordered to pay $2,500 each and have been prohibited from having future contact with their children, who have been placed in a foster home, said WWBT.

I'm not sure how I feel about all this. Having your children taken away from you is a crime in itself, but when their immediate welfare is taken into account, it is impossible to place them back into that house. For all we know, this might be a blessing in disguise to the parents who may have never wanted anything to do with the children in the first place. What do you think? Was this judge correct in his ruling?

edit on 4-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
That's just absurd!

These people are scum and they should serve time. While I agree the children should be removed from the home, this is no punishment for the harm they have inflicted on these kids.

They obviously have no love for these kids and the kept them locked up because they are selfish and these kids were a burden on their personal time. Heck, they are probably glad these kids are not there problem anymore.

As a father of a three year old I couldn't fathom EVER treating my daughter this way. People like this just sicken me.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Yeah, a loving parent would have at least put some padding where the child was banging his head. /sarcasm

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

NO,they should never have the children back.It's strange how these wackos always find each other!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

In my opinion the "parents" should be thrown in the darkest hole in the most torturous prison in America! Imagine the PTSD that these kids will have a lifetime of? Hopefully as the kids get older they can learn the benefits of hypnosis to undo the damage. I would not recommend a psychiatrist or counselor. Often times, psych's and counselors can aggravate the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, but hypnosis is much more powerful and effective. I hope those kids read this post someday. It just may save their lives. I hope the children were at least removed from the home (I haven't read the article, and I don't know if I can. Those "parents" should not be "parents" AT ALL).
edit on 4/4/2015 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Drugs or Kids?

I've several kids myself...and I'd NEVER do this to them. Baby gate to keep them out of potential problem areas like the laundry room, kitchen and stairs, I can understand.

But to keep them IN there? What if there was a fire? Parents on drugs? Gate able be opened quickly?

The lack of prison time, should have been replaced with public service and heavier fines and more stringent probation (I didn't see any terms of the probation so..)

Glad they cannot contact their kids - but will the kids want to contact them later? How would that work?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

Kids in a cage should equal parents in a cage. Simple as that.

The parents should have at least served the equal amount of time that their children had been locked up for. Jail would have showed them how we deal with undesirable "adult" babies.

edit on 4-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yah, they gave their kids time in prison, they should get the same amount of time in big peoples 'time out', imo.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is America. It's not about justice, it's all about revenue.
It's more profitable for the state to put them on probation with a fine because lets face it, they are going to screw it up and wind up in custody/court/probation again because that incurs more fines and fees.

true story

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Should they be allowed to rehabilitate and see their children again?

faces like these can never be rehabilitated...it's a pipe dream. Evil in human beings can not be cured with kind words or pills.

As far as I'm concerned...those kids were saved from hell...no matter what fate awaits them.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
YEA ID GO WITH THE LOCK THEM UP

but yea lifetime probation id rather take some jailtime

probation is hell whall on probation you have 0 rights and the tearms of probation very yea theres the court oder terms

and than there is what ever ur po decides you need to do and if you dont they lock u up for disobaying ur probation officer

so depending on who the officer is it could be hell for them

my po made me stop smoking inside my own damm house caz he didnt like the smell when he tore my house apart every month

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

nasty, filthy conditions and had skin rashes, they were healthy."

So skin rashes are now considered healthy? Good to know! I'll have to remember that the next time I feel like abusing a kid! *eye roll* WTH! My daughter spills milk on her shirt and I get turned into CPS and threatened with removal of my kid, these people lock their kids up like animals and can get their kids BACK! Seriously? W-T-H!!!

My stepmother got turned in for allowing my 14 yr old brother drink and have sex in the house. CPS showed up, you know she told the guy? She said, "I'd rather my son have sex here and get drunk here than God knows where and wonder where he is and what diseases he's catching." Unbelievably CPS agreed with her and closed the case! I just don't know anymore. It's enough to make you sick!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

In my opinion the "parents" should be thrown in the darkest hole in the most torturous prison in America! Imagine the PTSD that these kids will have a lifetime of? Hopefully as the kids get older they can learn the benefits of hypnosis to undo the damage. I would not recommend a psychiatrist or counselor. Often times, psych's and counselors can aggravate the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, but hypnosis is much more powerful and effective. I hope those kids read this post someday. It just may save their lives. I hope the children were at least removed from the home (I haven't read the article, and I don't know if I can. Those "parents" should not be "parents" AT ALL).

I was 5 and had to deal with stuff like this from my birth mother. I guarantee they will remember some things, but if they are blessed, PTSD will block a few memories.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Should they be allowed to rehabilitate and see their children again?

faces like these can never be rehabilitated...it's a pipe dream. Evil in human beings can not be cured with kind words or pills.

As far as I'm concerned...those kids were saved from hell...no matter what fate awaits them.

Personally I think their parental right should have been severed, but that's just me. Then those kids would be guaranteed a chance at survival.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well no drugs involved and no tax evasion.
Not worth jailing to yhe goverment.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Unless they reached out for help and were turned down, jail time should be mandatory. Along with sterilization.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Unless they reached out for help and were turned down, jail time should be mandatory. Along with sterilization.

It's a shame they didn't get the prosecutor that mandated sterilization as part of his plea deals before he was fired. These two definitely could have used it!

Thought there was a thread already. Here ya go, article....

Nashville CBS

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Just because you can have kids doesn't mean you should have kids. What a disgusting waste of space these two are. Just look at their pictures, you can tell by their eyes that they're not the brightest apples...

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There's what, around 7 and a half billion of us on this planet?

.....I say, to hell with a jail cell for useless scum like this.
Save some oxygen, we'll all breathe a bit better.

No one will miss pos like this anyways.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This is why abortion exists.

People like this were never meant to have children.

top topics

join