It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last boxer to beat Floyd Mayweather now lives on $435 a month in Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just think this is interesting in relation to the upcoming Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. This is the only fight Mayweather lost and the officiating was questionable as to the scoring of the fight. I watched the short 3 round bout and I think Mayweather won but that's just me.

The fighter who beat him was then-27-year-old Serafim Todorov, a Bulgarian boxer who was considered one of the best and most experienced boxers in the Olympics.

Sam Borden of the New York Times caught up with Todorov, and his life couldn't be more different than Mayweather's since the fight.

While Mayweather is now the highest-paid athlete in the world, Todorov lives on a monthly pension of $435. He and his wife are both unemployed after working at supermarkets and sausage factories, Borden reports. Todorov's neighborhood in Bulgaria is ridden with drug dealers and "underworld bosses" who have offered Todorov positions, but he has turned them down.

What does ATS think?

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think your video is not playing, but other than that I have no idea!

Although I would say that it is a shame that the life of this boxer, according to the article you linked, who beat Mayweather, has ended up in a position of turning down work from gangsters, due to unemployment in his area. But there again, it is a shame when anyone gets into that situation, no matter who they are, boxer, shelf stacker, bar staff, wait staff, anyone.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I think you are confused, Mayweather is undefeated. He will beat the Pac Man as well.

V

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable
a reply to: lostbook

I think you are confused, Mayweather is undefeated. He will beat the Pac Man as well.

V

You're both right and wrong.

Mayweather lost that fight in the Olympics. He actually lost 2 fights, and they were losses, but not counted in his professional career, of which, he has not lost a fight.

Mayweather is a joke of a boxer who has fought nobody of caliber almost his entire career, with exception of the early 90's. He has never been, and will never be, a true to the word "boxer". He just knows how to play the ring-side game, not how to be the best in the sport. That status is reserved for people like Marciano, Chavez, Ali, Frazier....

Just look at his record, and not the number, but the fights and how they ended. Almost every fight in the last 20 years has been won by decision, and we all know how money plays into things.

He's a punk, is addicted to gambling, is a total douchebag in real life, has no class, surrounds himself with similar individuals and the only reason he took this fight is for the payday. He has dodged Pac Man for almost a half decade, making sure he could milk the sport for every cheap opponent he could cherry pick for his fights, while Manny took on all of the brawlers in the sport. A Mayweather that has sat on his rump and fought nobody is nice and spry compared to Pac Man who has is battle torn.

Judging by the way his decisions have gone, if this fight goes 12 rounds with Pac Man, it's in the bag for Floyd.

I would gladly pay several hundred dollars to watch Mayweather get his bell rung hard core and eat canvas face first. It's been a long time coming, he is a disgrace to the sport.

~Namaste
edit on 3-4-2015 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

Why don't you say what's really on your mind. LOL

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

No i am not wrong. What the fellow said is this:

This is the only fight Mayweather lost and the officiating was questionable as to the scoring of the fight.

As a professional Mayweather is undefeated. If your talking about amateur fights he is 84 and 6 (according to the infallible wikipedia link)

Mayweather is NOT the kind of fighter people like to watch now-a-days, he goes the distance a lot, he outscores the opponent. Did you ever box? Mayweather is the kind of guy you see from the street in old school boxing clubs; big mouth, slick, well conditioned, "sweet science" guy. He is all about feints, jabs, and getting in your head. The Pac Man is going to have to bull rush and hurt him, but people have been trying that for years. Love him or hate him he is a master at the sport of boxing.

and saying he didn't fight anyone outside the 90's? What about Cotto, De La Hoya and Sugar Shane?
Haters gonna hate. I wouldn't put money on Pac Man. Mayweather is not going to let his record be "XX and 1"

V
edit on 4/3/2015 by Variable because: added )

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

No i am not wrong. What the fellow said is this:

This is the only fight Mayweather lost and the officiating was questionable as to the scoring of the fight.

As a professional Mayweather is undefeated. If your talking about amateur fights he is 84 and 6 (according to the infallible wikipedia link)

Mayweather is NOT the kind of fighter people like to watch now-a-days, he goes the distance a lot, he outscores the opponent. Did you ever box? Mayweather is the kind of guy you see from the street in old school boxing clubs; big mouth, slick, well conditioned, "sweet science" guy. He is all about feints, jabs, and getting in your head. The Pac Man is going to have to bull rush and hurt him, but people have been trying that for years. Love him or hate him he is a master at the sport of boxing.

and saying he didn't fight anyone outside the 90's? What about Cotto, De La Hoya and Sugar Shane?
Haters gonna hate. I wouldn't put money on Pac Man. Mayweather is not going to let his record be "XX and 1"

V

No, you were wrong based on your first post:

He HAS lost a fight. You didn't make the distinction in your first post on whether you were referring to his entire career including Olympics and amateur, or just his professional career, but clarified on your follow-up. I assumed you meant his professional career so I was agreeing with that, but he did in fact suffer losses as a fighter in his career. Pretty much every fighter does, you have to or you can't call yourself a good boxer.

And yes, I have boxed before actually, for several years (with the nose to prove it!), and I have had the privilege of seeing and meeting many fighters that would put shame to Floyd on his best day. The reason they can't make it in to the "tight circles" in boxing is nothing more than a matter of "it's not what you know, but who you know". There are SO many boxers that are never discovered even though they are great fighters because they don't know the right people and most don't want to get their hands dirty in the business of boxing.

Also, the De La Hoya and Mosley that Mayweather fought were washed up by the time he took them and not nearly the same fighters they were just a few years earlier. I'm not saying he can't fight... I'm saying he's not a "master" of the sport of boxing. You can watch some of the older fights from back in the day that make Floyd look like a fairy. He will never stand on the shoulders of those giants.

Once you have that kind of money, you don't need to fight hungry fighters, so you won't for the obvious reason that they will tear you apart to get their fame and take yours. When you reach that height of your career, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose, so I will say that he is smart enough to cherry pick his opponents at the right times in their careers. I have no respect for that.

I won't be putting any money on either because there is no honesty in boxing anymore. I don't think Floyd will fight again after this, and if he does, I expect his career to go the way of Trinidad, De La Hoya, Mosley and others who didn't know when it was their time to hand over the belts. If he's smart, he'll get out now before he ends up like Chavez with "XX and 1".

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Why don't you say what's really on your mind. LOL

That's what my ATS brethren are here for.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Its all good. I was talking bout his professional career. Anyone who has been around for a while remembers how often American fighters got screwed in Olympic fights. I wouldn't count them as meaning anything.

As for Money, i have heard your same opinion by most other boxers. I never liked him either, i almost always rooted for the other guy. But i came to respect the whole package. He is not a nice guy at all -there is very little to like as a person. He will go down as a great boxer i think. He makes more money than anyone. His fights draw crowds. Name another boxer that does that these days.

Also, boxing is going the way of the dodo. It is just another skill you learn in MMA. I haven't watched boxing in years, i have moved fully over to MMA.

V

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Its all good. I was talking bout his professional career. Anyone who has been around for a while remembers how often American fighters got screwed in Olympic fights. I wouldn't count them as meaning anything.

As for Money, i have heard your same opinion by most other boxers. I never liked him either, i almost always rooted for the other guy. But i came to respect the whole package. He is not a nice guy at all -there is very little to like as a person. He will go down as a great boxer i think. He makes more money than anyone. His fights draw crowds. Name another boxer that does that these days.

Also, boxing is going the way of the dodo. It is just another skill you learn in MMA. I haven't watched boxing in years, i have moved fully over to MMA.

V

I agree, he draws crowds for sure, and money talks at the end of the day, and he brings the money. Even though Olympic records don't count for much in a professional career, they can certainly help get you noticed by the folks that get you in to the big leagues. It's far different to take a loss during that part of your career than professionally.

I used to love boxing long before it became so corrupt. It's been so blatant lately, that I just stopped watching so I don't throw a remote through my TV after hearing the judges scorecards.

MMA and UFC have taken things to the next level, but it is still pretty damn hard to beat someone up with ONLY your hands, covered by 8-10oz of padding and tape. There is a certain elegance and beauty to watching the balance swing between the tactical and the brutal breakdown of a person from only the waist up. I still enjoy watching great fights, when they are in fact really great fights. They are rare nowadays.

UFC and MMA will be the next 100+ years of what boxing used to be, and boxing will be a lost sport. Let's hope May 2nd gives us a good show to remember it by!

~Namaste

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

It's official... i am a boxing prognosticator extraordinaire

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I was rooting for Pac but like you said I would have never put my money on him. While both fighters are past their prime I would say Floyd is closer to it then Manny. A lot of people complained about the fight. I mean they knew what they were getting. It's not like Floyd is going to change his style all of a sudden. Sounds like a rematch is in the works. Hell I don't blame them...try to get as many in as you can if they are going to pay for it.

top topics

join