It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Friday meat eaters thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm putting this in general chit chat because it's .. just not that serious for the religion forum.

I was taught the following as a child by my mother who came from a Catholic family, was Christian, but did not attend Catholic church.

If you eat meat on Good Friday, it's like you're eating Jesus (his body) because during the last supper, he passed out bread and wine, but not meat. By eating meat, it'd be like acknowledging this, yet deciding that even though the Jews & Romans were about to bloodily beat & crucify him, you don't really have any sympathy and it does not disgust you, so you eat the meat in defiance of it .. as if you're disrespecting Jesus.

My impression of it might be a bit weird, lol, but did anyone else receive any teachings like this at all, ever? I know not eating meat is a thing, and also only eating fish is a thing, and also only eating fish or chicken is a thing, on Good Friday.

My interpretation is thus:

Jesus passed out bread and wine, which people take communion with every week of every year.

If you're worried about symbolically eating the flesh of Jesus Christ during the celebration of his execution and resurrection, at least on Good Friday, wouldn't eating the bread and drinking the wine be the literal symbology of eating his flesh and drinking his blood?

It reminds me of Tina Turner's "What's love got to do with it" except,

What's meat got to, got to do with it?

"What's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a sweet old fashioned notion
What's love got to do, got to do with it"

I'm a Christian, but, I'm about to go BBQ some ribs, and feed it to a few people too.

I bring into evidence, the Book of Timothy (New Testament):

1 Timothy 4:1-3:

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

edit on 4/3/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Years ago when my family was all together it was traditional for us to eat fish on good friday. Dont know why but that was our tradition in the UK.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

I think it's acceptable to eat certain kinds of meat on good Friday. like the kinds that really can't be identified a meat.

Meat products if you will....slimjims, jerky, sausage of various types, and perhaps certain types of cold cuts are acceptable under the more liberal canonical law.

Also I meat consumed in drinking establishment is also permitted like hamburgers....within reason of course. Moderation in all things is always preferential to gluttony.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
But how do we know that they did not eat meat on the last supper. It mentions that they were eating bread and wine, but does not mention that they definitely did not eat meat. That would be an assumption. Jesus seemed to like fish, there are some references to fish in the bible and the sign of Jesus is sort of like a fish. I want to eat fish if I get a choice for my last meal. Fish is my favorite meat.

Those were probably just the first course
edit on 3-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Not much info here but I read this while eating a bacon toasty

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
We eat Mämmi ( mammi ) which is Finnish traditional unleavened bread in passover.. it taste sweet but looks like cows poop lol.
Old traditions are that good friday is the hardest day of fasting and you can eat after sun sets down and fasting is over.
edit on 3-4-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: darknewt
Not much info here but I read this while eating a bacon toasty

You can use Kosher salt to make bacon.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
We eat Mämmi ( mammi ) which is Finnish traditional unleavened bread in passover.. it taste sweet but looks like cows poop lol.
Old traditions are that good friday is the hardest day of fasting and you can eat after sun sets down and fasting is over.

That makes sense, last day of Lent right?

I gave up pork once for Lent, for no particular reason but just to try the diet. I ended up not eating it for almost 2 years, but not because I noticed any health, spiritual, or cognitive gain. Okay, maybe I felt a little bit accomplished religiously, but that was it. I just didn't eat much of it at the time to begin with so it was easy, not much of it in the house.

Now I love the #. But this brings up a thought I had..

Lent vs. Ramadan

Which is tougher? I think Ramadan sounds worse because they don't eat, smoke, or drink anything for a month until sundown (if im not mistaken in the toughest form; i'm sure not all Muslims do it that way)!

Catholics/Christians do it for even longer though; 40 days. But the fast couldn't possibly be as hard as having basically nothing. Then again, the most extremely serious Catholics and Christians probably give up all kinds of things for Lent, and many probably fast all day too.
edit on 4/3/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
But how do we know that they did not eat meat on the last supper. It mentions that they were eating bread and wine, but does not mention that they definitely did not eat meat. That would be an assumption. Jesus seemed to like fish, there are some references to fish in the bible and the sign of Jesus is sort of like a fish.

Very true. I think this is why many eat fish on Good Friday while abstaining from all other meats.

I think they probably had some meat on their plates of some kind; what did that painting look like again?

I see alot of food on the plates, but I can't tell if it's meat or not. One looked like a big piece of fried chicken.

Da Vinci wasn't alive during Jesus time any damn ways.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Sorry all but every Friday is a good Friday in my book.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

We are mostly Lutheran but lent is one of the things which stayed. In these modern days people do not fast much, those who are more religious, some of them do. Kids do not fast they need energy.
During fasting you were not allowed to use milk or eggs either, so those piled up and sour milk was used to make easter pasha and different kind of sweet curd delights.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Jesus didnt like to wash his hands before eating so im pretty sure it doesnt matter what food you eat on a specific day
Also, fish and chicken are both meats and so are processed meats like slim jims and hotdogs

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Yeah, just look at this. biblehub.com... So why would Jesus be eating a slice of bread and a little bit of wine when he knew he would be going through hell the next day.

Maybe it was some good cardamon bread. www.cooks.com... That stuff would be an appropriate last meal.
edit on 3-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Jesus didnt like to wash his hands before eating so im pretty sure it doesnt matter what food you eat on a specific day
Also, fish and chicken are both meats and so are processed meats like slim jims and hotdogs

I wouldn't go so far to say that all hotdogs qualify as meat.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

thats a fair enough assessment

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Believe it or not but Catholics and the no meat on Friday thing is why there is a Filet O fish sandwich at McDonald's.

Link

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Let's hear it for Protestantism, the branch of Christianity which doesn't give a flip what you eat or when you eat it, as long as you thank Jesus for the food beforehand.

I did the Catholic thing for a few years when I was living in Arizona and my wife was still struggling with the idea of leaving the Church to explore other denominations. I will admit that I half-assed Lent, usually giving up something which most people love but which my inner hipster wasn't too attached to (like chocolate... I don't hate chocolate, but I also don't particularly love chocolate, so it was a good Lent candidate in my mind.) Fridays during Lent, however, weren't something I enjoyed at all. In fact, I usually took the literal definition of the day and waited until after sundown to eat an actual dinner which included meat.

At this point in my life it is purely stubborness on my part because we eat salmon from our summer harvest a couple of times a week... just rarely on Fridays. :p

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Honestly through my childhood we abstained from meat .But now I 'm a little more relaxed about it. In evaluating all my life choices I ' m pretty sure if I eventually meet the boss he'll have way more pressing questions he'll want answers to then my food selections!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

what's good friday and what's it about?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Holy shat!! I ate pan seared blacken steak...I'm so gonna burn in hell.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join