It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The earth is flat?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There are two flat earth groups. One is this falt earth society webiste that is obviously absurd and a complete joke.

HEre are two pages about the other, actual, serious, 'we're not kidding, the earth is flat' group:

www.lhup.edu...
www.talkorigins.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Surprisingly enough, some scientists are thinking the same thing. Back when I could afford a subscription to Scientific American there was an article about how the universe may actually exist only in two dimensions, while we just percieve the third. This would, technically, make the Earth flat.

I'll try and find the article online. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please back me up.

EDIT: Found what I was talking about, both the article and a brief overview on another website.
Scientific American: Information in the Holographic Universe
Is Our Universe a Gigantic Hologram?

I think this was quite a fascinating post on the subject that cmdrkeenkid provided, and seems to have gone overlooked...

Take a read...If nothing else, this abstract provides some small insight into a possible theory that's clearly surreal/abstract research, but nonetheless, very interesting...

[edit on 12/22/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

21. What about North Dakota?
That doesn't exist either.

I've been to North Dakota twice!

That flat earth society is a big joke. If they stopped the jokes maybe their theories could make sense.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I should try calling him one time to ask if he'd ever taken a plane on a trans-atlantic flight somewhere, and if he'd looked out the window. I'd also ask him to explain the tides for us. He'd probably say there are pumps within the ocean that increase the water level and decrease it according to the projection of the moon on the huge reflective dome above the flat Earth.

I'll try to contact him and record the entire conversation. Should be interesting...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Surprisingly enough, some scientists are thinking the same thing. Back when I could afford a subscription to Scientific American there was an article about how the universe may actually exist only in two dimensions, while we just percieve the third. This would, technically, make the Earth flat.

I'll try and find the article online. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please back me up.

EDIT: Found what I was talking about, both the article and a brief overview on another website.
Scientific American: Information in the Holographic Universe
Is Our Universe a Gigantic Hologram?

I think this was quite a fascinating post on the subject that cmdrkeenkid provided, and seems to have gone overlooked...

Take a read...If nothing else, this abstract provides some small insight into a possible theory that's clearly surreal/abstract research, but nonetheless, very interesting...

[edit on 12/22/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

This post was fascinating, but I really had no idea how to reply to it. I suppose I could say something really lame like "cool". (how ironic that just posting "cool" is lame).
Anyway I am going to find that issue of scientific American and read the full article, and if I can make heads or tails of it I'd be happy to discuss it then.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
WOW!!! How close minded can you get.These people should seriously be locked up in mental hospitals.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh I wanted to add one thing.Does anyone know where you can get picture/model of what they think the earth looks like from outer space.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think they are advocating a FLATulence-out Theory !

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
wouldn't if be friggin hysterical if he was right?

Those are the exact words my Missus said when she was looking over my shoulder LMAO, she said better throw out the globe and iron the map.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Discworld is flat, and it rides on the backs of four elephants, and they in turn stand upon a turtle, the great A-tuin. Their sun rolls about the edge in a steeply inclined orbit, as well as their moon. And it all makes perfect sense for them.

If such a place exists, we would be considered the oddballs.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Why are you people bumping a thread from 2004??

This topic doesn't even belong in the Science and Technology forum, it belongs in Skunk Works because it is horrible speculation that goes against common knowledge.

We all know the Earth is round, because we have aircraft, and ships that have already flown and sailed around the world. Satellites that orbit the planet, and even a space station that orbits the planet too. You can even measure the curvature of the Earth from the ground... soo.....

Can someone close this topic or something?

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Crazy as it sounds yes......

But wait....

Holographic information and some of the strangeness of "branes" and such like in Quantum..... and the fact we all say "I can see it"

Well you can see what your mind makes up in your brain head.... from info.... No one really definately can prove anything outside of their experience and perceptions, they can only prove what we subjectively even if collectively to perceive to be happening "out there".

Looking at schrodinger etc and the observer effect well maybe it is round as we expect and agree it is...

who knows as Crakuer says wouldnt it be funny if it turned out right.

Highly unlikely but dont believe the men in labs in white coats too much as then really you can end up geting closer to what the other men in white coats are soo sure is mad or wrong, but un noticed lol.

And by saying this I am not stating I support the flat earthers etc or accept it, just the world our perceptions and reality are very tricky and unknown really no matter how much we like the comfort of thinking otherwise.... maybe its all the big monopoloy set of the gods having a laugh in theor 3d world whilst us the players are infact on 2d lol.

I know the wall is made of 99.99% empty space, me to ad that parts of it pop in and out of existence depending on when you look at it or interact with it....

But if I hit it at 30mph this peice of 99.99% empty space hurts a lot and seems very differant... reality is a lot stranger than fiction.

Elf

[edit on 14-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EnronOutrunHomerun

yeah I once thought of a seamless 360degree dome shaped hyper Möbius-loop sort of dimension, that causes the earth to fold back on itself (at the time I hadn't hear of TFES, it was just a whimsical concept of "what if). So as you walk out one side of the Earth you come back in the other and its like a portal so if you are halfway through it you cant tell cos what's on the other side is seen as though it is in front of you but you would indeed be walking into the other side of the earth once crossing a certain point. Like Mario where you walk out one side of the screen and come back on the other, but 360 degree's. The length of the earth's horizontal disk-like curvature all way round would be to wide an arch to notice distortion as you stood peering into the other side of the world from an given side and angle of this Möbius portal.

There are other ideas involving Torus fields as well, which cause Gravity through a massive vortex at the north pole and it stretches all the way to an area beyond the south but repels any matter that goes further than the south poles limit, so that eventually a craft going in a straight line will curve away like two same pole magnets head on and do a wide circular circumnavigation. The Magnetic-;like field of this area that repels is pushing in and dissipating at the south poles point on the earth's circumference, so there is two charges of interference that cause compasses to stop working there A. the limit of the disk (the inward thrust of the Vortex envelope) and the neutral zone (south-pole) plus B. the north pole (radial thrust of the vortex) which falls in direct accordance with the maths of a donut Torus field. i.e. a singularity a midway diameter and a circumference.

Personally I believe the Earth's shape is all possible shapes i.e. Macro-Quantum effect which also explains why Gravity cannot be unified with relativity, cos there are multiple ways for it to exist and one beliefs dtermine which laws are working in their own personal sphere of perception

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join