It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Thought Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm getting fed up not being able to say what I want on this site!

I feel that when i want to say something which may come across as 'rude' or 'bigoted', I can't.

I see a thread on the 'new' topics section which just 'irates' me somewhat and I start to type something in the reply box but then once I'm finished typing, a thought comes to me saying 'You can't post that'.

I'm being Manipulated and thought sensored right here on ATS and it's bugging me.

Why should I not be allowed to say for example 'that this guy is a xxx and hates all religious people'...

Look, see... the sentence above... I can't even type the word because then this whole post and thread could be removed!!

I feel the Internet is becoming/has become a Mind/Thought Control tool and yeah, I don't like it much. The same can be said for other sites such as SKYNEWS! The MOD's there don't like to post certain comments even when there is nothing 'rude' or 'bigoted' in the post!

So, how come when some guy makes a thread and it has the word xxx in the title it's ok but if someone posts a reply which uses that exact same word and which may or may not come across as a little slanted, that post gets deleted but the thread stays up?

I got something to say... xxxx You, You xxxxx xxxs

There, you can't delete this thread because you don't know what those xxx's stand for and if you do delete it, you will have to message me to tell me why?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If your post has nothing to do with the topic being discussed it will most likely be removed, which includes just attacking another poster. Unsure how they determine whats removed based on manners violation.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

But ATS isn't the internet....? it's privately owned (I think) and as such the owner/s sets the rules......

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You are just being "silly"...

There, i fixed the internet...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I get your point. Here's the counter to that:

The internet has "empowered" certain people (not necessarily you) to anonymously type things on websites which they would never have the balls to say to the person the comment was intended for, if they were face-to-face. Statements that maybe one would make among his or her friends, but never in public.

The internet has also unfortunately "empowered" some special people with no other objective than to disrupt, the ability to fan the flames just for fun. People who enjoy the chaos of making statements they don't even mean, just to troll a comments section.

So, many websites have to guard against that. The worst were the comment sections to news stories on newspaper websites. Funny, but once many of them moved from allowing the commentor to be fairly anonymous, to having to post the real name, the people who once posted crass and disgusting comments daily, disappeared almost overnight.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Sometimes a thread can be pulled while you are in the process of responding, it's happened to me before. Needless to say it's good to know the difference between walking a fine line and crossing it; unlike other forums where it is a free for all slanging match with little valid contributions and the mods are practically asleep.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I post on MMAFighting and similar sites where people can drop F-bombs all day long and call each other out. You know what? Not many do! They prefer to make their posts without the swearing.

I'll be in the pub/s later and none of us will be calling other people XXXX or whatever else. We could if we wanted to....it's a free country! Would it benefit anyone else though? Would it exacerbate and inflame others? Would it lead to escalating hostilities? Would we increase, or decrease, the level of overall enjoyment had by all

It's great to blow off steam and rant at someone, but we still ought to consider the feelings of others and civility is a great middle ground.

Look, I've just emphatically disagreed with your argument and we're still friends. Same conclusions, different methods.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

It's called manners and decorum , a thing that separates ATS from the trash sites out there.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That was just an example in my OP.

I don't swear on these boards as I find I don't need to swear but if i want to reply to a thread or post with something like 'this guy is a xxx and hates all religions' then I should be able to without my post being deleted.

now those three x's above is not a swear word... they are a truth word for what that person is and if they are allowed to use that word within the same thread then I should be able to when replying also.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

well, I wouldn't want to swear... my op was ust an example but yes of course 'swearing' should remain outside.

But if I want to comment about someone because they are what the subject is about then it should be allowed without me being labelled a bigot or having my post deleted. As long as what I said wasn't derogatory in any way which it wasnt.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Ah , I see , but it's hard to tell without knowing the words behind the xxx , xxx normally signifies expletive deleted.
Even so calling someone xxx for the opinions they hold could be seen as a manners violation as they are entitled to their view so it may not be the word so much as the context in which it is used.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

It would be helpful if you could discriminate between 'thoughts' and the 'people' saying them.

Why are you so irritated by people's words?

Perhaps some anger management would be helpful. It's really hard to understand what people are actually saying and respond in a measured fashion if you let them irritate you.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's ironic that a religious person would be mad about not being able to insult others with vulgarity if the person is a Christian, because The Bible says not to trade insult for insult and to keep you tongue away from vulgarity. Such a person would probably hate Heaven if this is the type of thing that makes them feel angry.

No matter where you go, there will always be some type of rule followed when interacting with others, in order to stop random off-topic comments and childish back-and-forth insults, so that meaningful conversation/debate can happen.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I'm not irritated by peoples words... I'm irittated because I can't say hat I want to say without being labelled or without my post getting deleted (even if there is no 'Insult')

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: FyreByrd

I'm not irritated by peoples words... I'm irittated because I can't say hat I want to say without being labelled or without my post getting deleted (even if there is no 'Insult')

If you went into a private business and started saying the same things outloud and it offended other customers the owners would be in the right to remove you.

It's really no different to me.

The ownership of ATS has set rules on a site they run, if I want to post on that site then it's on me to abide by the rules they have established. If i dont like it then i can go to InfoWars or BIN or some other place and go insane.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

BTW, I' not religious!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have found and have taught my children.

One can be far far more insulting (if that is your goal) to others by not swearing, but by using good vocabulary.

A strong vocabulary can say much more precisely what a swear word can not.

Cool down before you type and think of another way to say it that doesn't involve the swear word.

The result is a post that stings far worse than swearing.

Also, attack the words, the concept, rather than the person. And it is less likely to get deleted.

Although people will come back at you for using "fancy" words that they can't understand.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

As I said before... It's not swear words as i don't feel it necessary to swear!!

It is something to do with those guys who like guys.

I think that is a fine sentence and should not have any problem here in this thread and if anyone complains, well, they are just being absolutely pathetic!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It is something to do with those guys who like guys.

Well why didn't you come clean in the first place?? When you wrote...

Why should I not be allowed to say for example 'that this guy is a xxx and hates all religious people'...

...you were complaining that you can't say 'this guy is a gay and hates all religious people?!'

The reason for this could be explained by any ATS member who is familiar with the T&Cs.

It's because you want to focus on a person's sexuality in a negative way as a reason for dismissing their point of view. The comment could be interpreted as homophobic too. I imagine there are gay Catholics, gay Muslims and gay atheists which means your association between homosexuality and religious people is ill-founded.

Honestly, if you'd been clear in your OP we'd have cleared this up in one or two posts. It's simple, ATS doesn't accept members calling other members 'gays' or 'homos.' Whilst we're on the subject of honesty, what would be your intention in calling another member 'a gay?' It'd be to insult and dismiss, right?

Blimey, I've gone and emphatically disagreed with your argument again and haven't needed to be insulting, angry or call you names.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Mayvbe you are allowed to type that sentence but I wasn't as my post got deleted for violation.

That's why I puyt xxx in my OP, so the Thread couldn't be closed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join