It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sailor rescued after 66 days lost at sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The sailor is Louis Jordan who set out on a fishing trip on 23 January when at some point in his journey catastrophe struck and his boat capsized , he spent the following 66 days sat on the upturned hull of his sailboat drifting in the Atlantic Ocean surviving on raw fish and rainwater until he was spotted and rescued by a German container ship on Thursday.

The US Coast Guard have said his survival showed an unheard of feat of endurance , no doubt Mr Jordan thinks today is a very Good Friday.

His family reported him missing at the end of January, and when his father spoke to him after the rescue, he said: "I thought I lost you."
In an audio clip of the phone call, Mr Jordan apologises for not being able to sail home.
Speaking from the safety of the German container ship, he tells his father: "I'm doing fine now."
Chief Petty Officer Ryan Doss from the Coast Guard in Miami told WITN, a North Carolina broadcaster, that Mr Jordan had survived adrift in the Atlantic Ocean on a diet of raw fish and rainwater.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Wow. That is a very impressive demonstration of survival skills in very inhospitable circumstances.

Reminds me of the Captain Bligh story in some regards.

edit on 3-4-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Finally some decent news around here.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I woke up a few moments ago...turned on the news and saw the story about this man and his father. He survived by catching fish with his hands and eating them raw and drinking rain water.

I don't know him or his Father...but as many on earth I do care...I feel so connected to humanity as I know many if not all of ATS does too.

He is rescued and on the mend...I wonder if he is going to write a book...I think I would.

It is interesting the ship he was on is called "Angel".

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
He really looks pretty damn good for spending 66 days adrift. He was definitely doing something right.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Where is Wilson?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I would have lost hope after about a week, but 66 days...wow!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I would have gone stir crazy in the first hour without me fags.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I hope he makes millions off of the movie and book deals.

He deserves it.

The weather must have really helped him out... he avoided major sunburn.
edit on 4/3/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Watching his interview, I got the impression he was a near miss candidate for the Darwin Award.

edit:

I will give the man credit for catching fish and rationing water to stay alive. He did a good job in that respect.
edit on 4/3/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Louis Jordan speaks of his ordeal.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
EVERONE would be quite surprised what you can do when the need arises.
FEW would believe they could and just give up.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This guy has earned the right to bitch slap Bear Grylls

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
That is truly impressive. I'm wondering if he had any SIGNIFICANT weather while adrift ? That would have been hell. You definitely would be doing some soul searching.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

66 days?
Not the longest at sea.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Three Mexican fishermen found drifting in the Pacific Ocean could have been lost for almost a year and two others were missing and presumed dead, it has been revealed.

And some costa ricans were at sea for 5 months

In 1988 five Costa Rican fishermen who had been drifting for five months across the Ocean after their engine failed were rescued in an emaciated state by a fishing boat.

But I'm glad this guy is home safe.

edit on 3-4-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I once saw bear kill elk or something big like that.

All he used was a knife, tree and show laces.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: crazyewok

I once saw bear kill elk or something big like that.

All he used was a knife, tree and show laces.

This guy survived 66 day on capsized boat with nothing except his cloths and ocean of undrinkable water.

He makes Bear look like a pampered pussy

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Watching his interview, I got the impression he was a near miss candidate for the Darwin Award.

edit:

I will give the man credit for catching fish and rationing water to stay alive. He did a good job in that respect.

I wasnt able to watch all the videos as some would not play on my mobile device. Would you be so kind as to explain what he did that, had he died, would qualify him for a Darwin award? All I got was that he was awakened in the middle of the night to his ship tumbling and taking on water. No word on the cause so I assumed a storm or rogue wave which could happen to anyone.

new topics

top topics

join