It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK 'spied on Argentina' over Falklands, claims Edward Snowden

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

One of Snowdens least surprising revelations IMO.

But it convieniently chimes with the other news release,that the UK has found the potential oil/gas fields they always wanted in the Falklands area.

news.sky.com...

So Eddie Snowden releases the info about spying on the Argies,just as the resources are confirmed..
Hmm,could there be a hidden agenda at work here?
Would not be the first time.

Are enough of us that stupid we don't see other motives at work here?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

I saw that this morning and though exactly the same.

An absolute example of a classic non-story, put out by someone who is simply seeking the spotlight.

My friend,

There is a purpose this may serve, outside of attention for a potential disinformation tool. It may also be a distraction intended to fill, as 'supporting confirmation' for some future allegation.

Ultimately, I have to wonder at what other news that could have been 'produced' but wasn't - because of this "revelation."

(PS - would you happen to be aware of any treaties or international stipulations that speak to the restriction of 'espionage?')

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Not between the UK and Argentina

The suprise headline would be "the UK is NOT spying on Argentina" (and vice versa).

Motives....well Snowden is Russian backed at the moment, and relations between the UK and Russia aren't so good. The UK just boosted the Falklands defence forces following the start of further oil explorations in the area and the Argentines want a piece of the revenue so.... maybe its just an attempt at stirring the pot by stating the bleeding obvious?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

As usual, you add some brilliant relevance to the discussion.

I've been aware of the awkward schism between the sentimental attachment to the islands by those who feel it is theirs, and those who think it should rightfully be otherwise. I was rather surprised at the application of military power to the equation - but then, as an American, this was at the time not close in our thoughts when it all came to a head.

The resources involved brings the largest and most powerful global cartels into the mix.... bad mojo, I think.
edit on 04pmx04pmFri, 03 Apr 2015 17:20:14 -050014 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
But what is the significance of the Falkland Islands themselves? For example, what kind of things have been associated with it in the past, and therefore, what could be going on over there now? Or are those wrong questions to ask? LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I heard water is wet too, shocking news today.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

If I were face to face with Snowden (I'd punch him hard...j/k!) I'd say "thank you for that captain obvious".

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: corsair00
But what is the significance of the Falkland Islands themselves? For example, what kind of things have been associated with it in the past, and therefore, what could be going on over there now? Or are those wrong questions to ask? LOL

Not sure I understand your question... Perhaps you could have a brief look at the history of the islands, then you will see for yourself.

In a nutshell, we colonised them way back, before Argentina even existed.

They then laid claim, because Spain had a claim. A long while passes without much being done and then, in the 1970's, we had a weak as piss Government who began negotiating handing sovereignty over to Argentina and then us "leasing" the islands back, just like Hong Kong. The islanders weren't consulted and were ignored, as they wished to remain British.

Anyhoo, Argentina never followed up on these discussion and took them as a sign of weakness that we didn't want the islands. Add onto that early 1980's defence cuts and they jump at the chance to invade.

Despite our cuts, we hauled one carrier out of mothball, cobbled together a task force of over 120 ships - of which 50 were Warships), press ganged cruise liners as troop transports and within a month managed to send a force of over 20,000 men some 11,000 miles to kick them off.

The whole War, from invasion to their surrender, lasted 74 days.

And they've bitched about it since. We've offered them a 50% share of any Oil revenue and the islands recently had a referendum on what they want. 99.8% voted to remain British.

As a funny aside, the Argentine President recently said:

""Our land has always been invaded, first by the Spanish, then by the English. ""

This is from a woman of mixed Spanish and German descent......

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Thanks for the reply and information. Yes, that was what I was referring to. The Falkland Islands war. But I didn't want to bring up some of the more conspiratorial stuff like the alleged "Marconi deaths" and secret bases etc. That could be the part that is not supposed to be brought up!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

with you on this one mate,

as a fellow Brit, i too would be very surprised if we weren't spying on them either, potential threats with nations who we have been previously at war at, makes sense to me!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Given the threats, hissy fits, illogical behaviour and outright hypocrisy that Argentina has been broadcasting lately I'd be astonished if we weren't spying on them. The fact that they totally rejected the referendum of the Falklanders and actually want to deport the lot of them for not wanting to be Argentinean says everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join