It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imported drug resistant Montezuma's Revenge, or Dehli Belly, spreads across the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Sometimes antibiotics are prescribed for more serious cases

Health officials say a drug-resistant strain of a nasty stomach bug has made its way into the U.S. and is spreading - already causing more than 200 illnesses since last May.

Shigella infections, otherwise known as 'Delhi Belly' or 'Montezuma's revenge' were traced to people who had recently traveled to the Dominican Republic, India or other countries.

The symptoms include diarrhea, stomach cramps and nausea.

Outbreaks of the Shigella bacteria are not unusual, but this strain is resistant to the antibiotic most commonly prescribed for adults.

Oh joy, a new drug resistant infection. At least this one isn't a catchy one. You only get it from being in the area itself, and since my only traveling is done online, I think I'm safe, but for those that do plan on traveling to those areas, do watch what you eat and drink and be careful. From what I hear, it's not a fun one to get.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Sounds like the devil's version of Norovirus right there O.O I had Norovirus once, caught it from a sick tourist (not one from a cruise) Oh. my. god, that was rough. I was a literal 3 minute jog down the block from a drugstore at the time, it was a battle of willpower to get there & back with pedialyte without messing myself. I'd never spent more time with my head in or my rear on a toilet before or since then, it was awful.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The thing is, you may "only catch" this bug from the area where it is presently, but what if it gets a stronghold here in the U.S. somewhere? How does this illness get established and transmitted?

I wonder if it is coming across the southern border with this new wave of illegals
edit on 3-4-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 3-4-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Sounds like the devil's version of Norovirus right there O.O I had Norovirus once, caught it from a sick tourist (not one from a cruise) Oh. my. god, that was rough. I was a literal 3 minute jog down the block from a drugstore at the time, it was a battle of willpower to get there & back with pedialyte without messing myself. I'd never spent more time with my head in or my rear on a toilet before or since then, it was awful.

I had the swine flu once. I spent most of my time either laying on the couch wishing for death, or on the toilet hugging a bucket. Yeah, definitely not fun! Worst Thanksgiving Ever!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
The thing is, you may "only catch" this bug from the area where it is presently, but what if it gets a stronghold here in the U.S. somewhere? How does this illness get established and transmitted?

I wonder if it is coming across the southern border with this new wave of illegals

That's what this article is saying, is that it IS here now! Tourists are bringing it home!

Health officials say a drug-resistant strain of a nasty stomach bug has made its way into the U.S. and is spreading - already causing more than 200 illnesses since last May.

Shigella infections, otherwise known as 'Delhi Belly' or 'Montezuma's revenge' were traced to people who had recently traveled to the Dominican Republic, India or other countries.
From OP

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the report Thursday. The superbug sickened at least 243 people, in 32 states and Puerto Rico.

CDC Director Tom Frieden said in a statement: 'These outbreaks show a troubling trend in Shigella infections in the United States.

'Drug-resistant infections are harder to treat and because Shigella spreads so easily between people, the potential for more – and larger – outbreaks is a real concern.

'We’re moving quickly to implement a national strategy to curb antibiotic resistance because we can’t take for granted that we’ll always have the drugs we need to fight common infections.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Even if these 200 or so cases didn't come from the southern border, I'm sure some soon will. All kinds of illness and disease are coming in this way and apparently, to those in power, its completely acceptable.

I read a great and very convincing piece reviewing the measles outbreak at Disneyland and how it came from the new wave of illegals flooding in through the southern border but was being blamed on anti-vaxxers even though they only make up 2-3% of the population. If the outbreak WAS caused by anti-vaxxers, why isn't stuff like this happening all the time? Quite a coincidence the outbreak occurs right when the borders got flooded huh?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

Even if these 200 or so cases didn't come from the southern border, I'm sure some soon will. All kinds of illness and disease are coming in this way and apparently, to those in power, its completely acceptable.

I read a great and very convincing piece reviewing the measles outbreak at Disneyland and how it came from the new wave of illegals flooding in through the southern border but was being blamed on anti-vaxxers even though they only make up 2-3% of the population. If the outbreak WAS caused by anti-vaxxers, why isn't stuff like this happening all the time? Quite a coincidence the outbreak occurs right when the borders got flooded huh?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of it did come from illegals, but you how MSM today, it's not PC anymore to talk about that. *eye roll*

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I have had that off of a dodgy Mc D's

Was horrid.

Got over it without antibiotics.

Actually a lab I worked at all went down with it cause some idiot got it on there gloves and then touched a load of handles and door knobs.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Was horrid.

Actually a lab I worked at all went down with it cause some idiot got it on there gloves and then touched a load of handles and door knobs.

So I guess geniuses really DO work in the labs. LOL Sorry you got hit with it. Here's hoping it doesn't hit again!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Was horrid.

So I guess geniuses really DO work in the labs. LOL Sorry you got hit with it. Here's hoping it doesn't hit again!

Haha it was some intern we got in that did it. Shigella a nasty little bugger cause you only need a few bacterium to cause a infection compared to salmonella that requires thousands.
I was off on holiday that day so missed the fun. Well I got lumbered with there work while there were off crapping everywhere

But the bout I had a few years before was not pleasant. It made me wish I was dead. The stomach pain is horrendous and you # blood.
edit on 3-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Situations like this are the reason you are not supposed to take pharmaceuticals for ANY reason. I have a very strong immune system because I let my bodies own immune system deal with everything, this is how you grow a strong immune system. So that when situations like this occur it's not as bad on me as it is on other people.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Haha it was some intern we got in that did it. Shigella a nasty little bugger cause you only need a few bacterium to cause a infection compared to salmonella that requires thousands.
I was off on holiday that day so missed the fun. Well I got lumbered with there work while there were off crapping everywhere

But the bout I had a few years before was not pleasant. It made me wish I was dead. The stomach pain is horrendous and you # blood.

Apparently this one is one REALLY nasty bugger. According to the article, most of the time, once you get it, you are normally immune to it. However, this one once you get you are NOT immune to it and you can get it again. So yeah, totally fun! I'm sure everyone is looking forward to a repeat performance of this version of Shigella.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
Situations like this are the reason you are not supposed to take pharmaceuticals for ANY reason. I have a very strong immune system because I let my bodies own immune system deal with everything, this is how you grow a strong immune system. So that when situations like this occur it's not as bad on me as it is on other people.

My doctors tell me because of so many past surgeries I've had my body is now literally killing me. I'm in my mid-40's and yet my body is in my 90's according to a bone scan I had done about 6 years ago. Even my skin is thin like you'd see in the elderly. It doesn't take much for it to bruise or rip open. I do try and build up my immune system though with vitamins and minerals added to my diet.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Apparently this one is one REALLY nasty bugger. According to the article, most of the time, once you get it, you are normally immune to it. However, this one once you get you are NOT immune to it and you can get it again. So yeah, totally fun! I'm sure everyone is looking forward to a repeat performance of this version of Shigella.

Well all I can say is stock up on toliet paper

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Wow, that's a good way to describe it. I'd never had any bad stomach virus my whole life (30 at the time) I picked it up once -not sure how. But when it hit , it hit with the force of Niagara falls - at both ends.. I remember laying barely concious in a cold sweat on the toilet floor wondering what the hell had happened to me...

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Yeah Norovirus will normally last 24 hours, 48 if your unlucky.

Shigella can be with you for a week.

Mine lasted 6 wonderful days.

top topics

join