It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-Awaited ‘Jump’ In Global Warming Now Appears ‘Imminent’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Basically, 2014 is the hottest year on record, and that was without an El Nino. Now we are gonna have an El Nino this year and scientists expect there to be a ''jump" in warm temps this year the same as from the El Nino in the 90's.

We may be witnessing the start of the long-awaited jump in global temperatures. There is “a vast and growing body of research,” as Climate Central explained in February. “Humanity is about to experience a historically unprecedented spike in temperatures.”
A March study, “Near-term acceleration in the rate of temperature change,” makes clear that an actual acceleration in the rate of global warming is imminent — with Arctic warming rising a stunning 1°F per decade by the 2020s.
Scientists note that some 90 percent of global heating goes into the oceans — and ocean warming has accelerated in recent years. Leading climatologist Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research explained here in 2013 that “a global temperature increase occurs in the latter stages of an El Niño event, as heat comes out of the ocean and warms the atmosphere.”
In March, NOAA announced the arrival of an El Niño, a multi-month weather pattern “characterized by unusually warm ocean temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific.”
How much of a temperature jump should we expect? Last month, Trenberth explained to Living on Earth:
Trenberth says it could mean a rise of two- or three-tenths-of-a-degree Celsius, or up to half a degree Fahrenheit. The change could occur “relatively abruptly,” but then stick around for five or 10 years.

I have no doubt in my mind that man is accelerating the natural warming process but even if we did quit fossil fuel burning it may already be too late. What says ATS!

thinkprogress.org...
edit on 2-4-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It will take some sort of catastrophe for us to turn around and take care of the earth. Then we'll learn.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Basically, 2014 is the hottest year on record, and that was without an El Nino. Now we are gonna have an El Nino this year and scientists expect there to be a ''jump" in warm temps this year the same as from the El Nino in the 90's.

We may be witnessing the start of the long-awaited jump in global temperatures. There is “a vast and growing body of research,” as Climate Central explained in February. “Humanity is about to experience a historically unprecedented spike in temperatures.”
A March study, “Near-term acceleration in the rate of temperature change,” makes clear that an actual acceleration in the rate of global warming is imminent — with Arctic warming rising a stunning 1°F per decade by the 2020s.
Scientists note that some 90 percent of global heating goes into the oceans — and ocean warming has accelerated in recent years. Leading climatologist Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research explained here in 2013 that “a global temperature increase occurs in the latter stages of an El Niño event, as heat comes out of the ocean and warms the atmosphere.”
In March, NOAA announced the arrival of an El Niño, a multi-month weather pattern “characterized by unusually warm ocean temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific.”
How much of a temperature jump should we expect? Last month, Trenberth explained to Living on Earth:
Trenberth says it could mean a rise of two- or three-tenths-of-a-degree Celsius, or up to half a degree Fahrenheit. The change could occur “relatively abruptly,” but then stick around for five or 10 years.

I have no doubt in my mind that man is accelerating the natural warming process but even if we did quit fossil fuel burning it may already be too late. What says ATS!

thinkprogress.org...

I'm hoping for a nice warm summer, this winter has been hell. With any luck, next winter will be like fall, but I am not holding my breath ;-) Is that what you want to hear? Somebody please send me pics of the 30 million dollar houses in Florida under water, thanks!

ETA: I want to see pictures of dikes too, lots of dikes. Don't get me wrong, I want see all the water being held back from the rising oceans. I know you thought I meant something else LOL

Nuther ETA: I have to ask, is Global Warming going to jump like this...

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/2.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: the ETA

edit on 4/2.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: Nuther ETA

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I suppose I should buy a bigger hat.

The only solution is for humanity to renounce materialism, which is never going to happen without a total collapse of our entire civilization.

At that point, free of domineering institutions, we have a real choice to make. Do we continue counting beans or do we simply share them?

People view TEOTWAWKI with apprehension and fear. I look forward to it as an opportunity. I'll be waiting, sun hat and all.
edit on 4/2/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Optimal words, carefully selected and constructed...

"may be" < > "are

"research" < > "evidence"

"Cimate Central" < > "peer-reviewed publication"

"could" < > "will"

Science is about knowns and predictability. The article smacks of speculation and assumptions.

~Namaste

edit on 2-4-2015 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm getting a lawyer quick.

Final arrangements are necessary.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
So we are back on the global warming terminology and we aren't using climate change anymore? I have trouble keeping up with all of the lies.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
So we are back on the global warming terminology and we aren't using climate change anymore? I have trouble keeping up with all of the lies.

Yes, the terminology does get convoluted. Whatever you want to call it, it's happening in our lifetimes.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Whatever you want to call it, it's happening in our lifetimes.

"It" is a deflection from real issues, global pollution by mega industry and the war machine.

Chem trails instead of jet exhaust, rape of the natural world, mega oil spills, fracking, mining as never before, deforestation, water depletion, nuclear power and waste, species extinction and war.

Lets just focus on the weather in the future.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think "think progress" is the liberal equivalent of faux news! Nothing they issue should be taken seriously.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
We're screwed. People won't change. The only possible solution is if eighty percent of the people die. I think that is already in the minds of some very powerful people.

Nobody has to do anything, we have already created many superbugs to do all the work.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Then maybe you should log off of your computer rather than waste electricity on a conspiracy site.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
Optimal words, carefully selected and constructed...

"may be" < > "are

"research" < > "evidence"

"Cimate Central" < > "peer-reviewed publication"

"could" < > "will"

Science is about knowns and predictability. The article smacks of speculation and assumptions.

~Namaste

Doesn't all global warming hyperbole?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Whatever you want to call it, it's happening in our lifetimes.

"It" is a deflection from real issues, global pollution by mega industry and the war machine.

Chem trails instead of jet exhaust, rape of the natural world, mega oil spills, fracking, mining as never before, deforestation, water depletion, nuclear power and waste, species extinction and war.

Lets just focus on the weather in the future.

Agreed!

I'm willing to make sacrifices and changes in lifestyle for something concrete like lowered pollution. Intangible theories (and that's what they are), not so much. Al Gore's rich enough and he could stand to back off on the grocery budget anyway...

Is there anyone else out there that sees the irony in the "Climate [Whatever]" crowd getting excited because really, really bad times are just around the corner? If I were part of that crowd, which I'm not, my fondest wish would be to be proven wrong.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

There wasn't really a natural warming process before industrial activity. There was a broad peak around 8000-6000 BC continuing until fairly recently when human greenhouse effects have made for fast temperature rise.

www.realclimate.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

It's climate change from global warming from human changes in greenhouse gases.

causality is the other way around: greenhouse gases, then global warming, then climate change.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
With the water crisis now spread to the central rockies with no real relief in sight I think one would observe a population flight to the northwest and even Canada. No reason to go east. It is already heavily populated. But Texas is next and everything west.

I have looked at the carbon dioxide data going back many decades and if that is an indicator of anything then we havent even experienced the basic beginning of global warming being felt.

I will likely be long gone by the time SHTF but your kids and grandkids already born may have to face the fact that they might not live to old age.

The snowball is only beginning to roll downhill. And there is not much of a chance to reverse it.

Nature will take care of things though once she has let the festering human rodent population self expire to sustainable levels.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

There wasn't really a natural warming process before industrial activity. There was a broad peak around 8000-6000 BC continuing until fairly recently when human greenhouse effects have made for fast temperature rise.

www.realclimate.org...

Really?

So nature hadn't warmed to higher than present temp several times prior to human history?

Well since it has, I would say there is "a natural warming process".

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

It's been happening for the entire life of the planet...

It didn't just suddenly start when we started burning coal.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Recent article in climate depot states that some German scientists believe that we are heading into a mini ice age, would be nice if that mythical 'consensus' were really true!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join