It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Virus That Makes You Stupid Has Infected Up to 1/2 of Humanity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Not exactly the zombie apocalypse, but...

...a newly found algae virus appears to be negatively impacting the cognitive abilities of at least those living in cities on the ocean. //snip// A follow-up study of 92 healthy people found that 43% of them had the virus, and that was associated with a reduction in cognitive functioning by approximately 10%.

The virus, called ATCV-1, which first showed up assays of human brain tissue several years ago, was initially assumed to have entered the tissue after the death of the patients. This post-mortem hypothesis was quickly defeated when the virus started showing up in the throats of people with psychiatric diseases. //snip// More follow-up studies are going to be needed before we can really characterize exactly how this virus infects and affects humans.

This story (and website) smells like bs, but if true, it would explain a lot =)

realitieswatch.com...

edit on 2-4-2015 by wasaka because: added link

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

well this explains the east west and southern coasts of the US

looking into this more now

as i am currently hoboing in houston this explains a lot

maybe time to change scenery again lol
edit on pm420153008America/ChicagoThu, 02 Apr 2015 20:59:19 -0500_4u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Lol, I read about this virus a couple of months ago and suddenly thought, wow that explains a lot .

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.nih.gov...

Found the above-referenced article, with references to the original PubMed published study results. Further evidence that much of what makes us human isnt of even of human origin!!

Great find, OP!!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Max_TO

Lol, I read about this virus a couple of months ago and suddenly thought, wow that explains a lot .

It would explain, for example, why so many people who
vote democrat live on the coastal regions.

Just kidding. Sorta =(

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

A Virus That Makes You Stupid Has Infected Up to 1/2 of Humanity

No sh*t, I swear I've witnessed a steady devolution in the last 10 years.

EDIT: I also think corporations taking over people's TV sets is affecting them them also.
edit on -180002015-04-02T21:32:30-05:00u3030201530042015Thu, 02 Apr 2015 21:32:30 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This, along with Toxiplasma Gondii , should be major concerns for our populations.

I've been reading snippets like this for over 5 years now, but - good luck finding treatment or a cure.

Ok, so we have these horrible brain-affecting diseases. Why aren't we going hardcore for cures for them? It's seriously disturbing for me(who has a terrible directional sense and poor memory) that this is taken so lightly.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

Toxoplasma is mostly harmless, as is evidenced by the fact that it's present in up to 2/3 of the human population and most have never heard of it, with only immunocompromised individuals developing symptoms. Most news sites took the algae virus tests and ran with them, sensationalizing it into bull# like "half the human population affected by virus that makes you stupid"
In reality there was a correlation between the presence of the virus and lower IQ scores, nothing conclusive, nothing proven.
edit on 2/4/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Come on down to Florida, it doesn't take a neurologist to see that 10% number is mighty optimistic.

Hopefully they find a cure, and fast

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Damn sure explains Florida.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Ok, so we have these horrible brain-affecting diseases. Why aren't we going hardcore for cures for them? It's seriously disturbing for me(who has a terrible directional sense and poor memory) that this is taken so lightly.

Big Pharma almost never tries to cure a disease. Cures are never as lucrative as on-going treatment. Since it appears from some of the information in this thread that this loss of cognitive power is associated with mental illness, look at the continuing increase in the use of medications for depression and ADHD. If the Pharmaco-Industrial-Complex can compensate for the symptoms, why cure the disease? There's no profit in depleting your customer base.

-dex

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Union teachers will do more damage then this algae virus ever will.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Ok, but I say at least GET conclusive and correlate as necessary. I realize the headlines are candy for clickbait titles, but I find it terrifying to think that for # years of my life, I could have been more aware/productive/etc, if these viruses truly affect us in this way. For instance, I was diagnosed as positive for indirect Coombs. What if that's a correlation?
So frustrating to think that we're as "advanced" as we are with medical science and yet something like this can affect such a large portion of the population.

@DexterRiley: Oh, I'm well familiar with BigPharma's modus operandi. I'm to the point where I think it should be illegal for any pharmaceutical/medicinal companies to BE corporations at all. Their for-profit organization has damaged the populace in numerous ways not even counting the elephant in the room of "where we might be" if we truly dedicated our researchers towards cures. IMO, the only for-profit aspect of medicinal science should simply be the production of the goods. Nothing more.

edit on 2-4-2015 by gottaknow because: bolded name

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I would be interested in any studies related to whether the first infection of humans with these organisms is a recent event, or if we have been hosting these organisms for hundreds or thousands of years.

Just because we recognize it as a separate organism these days doesn't mean we haven't been its host for centuries, I am thinking.

Then there is the philosophical angle... assuming I started with an average cognitive ability (and some would question whether I did!), would it be a curse or a blessing if I lost 10% of that, but in doing so, recognized cultivated and relied more heavily on other aspects of me? Like... empathy? Artistic expression? Musical aptitude?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Forty percent? Now how does that account to the screwed up perception of eighty percent of "normal" people here in the US. I think it is passed out in College and in Highschool.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

It would explain, for example, why so many people who
vote democrat live on the coastal regions.

Just kidding. Sorta =(

Where I am from the entire coast is the most country part of the State, and Completely Red.. But I don't like democrats either.. I don't like anyone who thinks they are in a gang.. Belonging to groups is basically a way of not thinking...

I wonder when this virus first started infecting us? I have noticed over the last say 7 years.. That people's ability to write and speak has gone down.. Even in myself I have noticed it. There Their They're Your You're.. I don't think it's a cultural slide, it seemed to have happened too quickly..

Have you ever read A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley?
If you are smarter than your assigned job it leads to unhappines, stress, and boredom.. This leads to not following rules, becoming a savage..

So they controlled the intelligence of the people and had different teirs of intelligence they would create you as, for specific jobs in society..

Have you noticed smart people are unhappy in the world now.. They can see too well that Rome could be on the Fall..
The more common people are more happy to believe lies, and don't dig into government atrocities and all the rest..

Who knows, maybe someone created a Virus to help humanity cope?

Definitely a good conspiracy thread idea if anyone found any leads. Or it could be the world defending itself, hahaha.. Some sort of natural thing that happens, like having a fever to kill germs. I like thinking of crazy ideas like this.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CantStandIt

Then there is the philosophical angle... assuming I started with an average cognitive ability (and some would question whether I did!), would it be a curse or a blessing if I lost 10% of that, but in doing so, recognized cultivated and relied more heavily on other aspects of me? Like... empathy? Artistic expression? Musical aptitude?

I used to think being smart was the only thing to do and look for TRUTH and find all the coverups and expose it all and save the world...

But as I have aged I see more value in kindness and empathy.. Than anything else really.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Son of a BLEEP! I used to live in West Palm Beach Florida. And yes, "that explains it" was the first thing in my head when reading the thread's title. Holy crap I hope I don't have that in my system.
edit on 2-4-2015 by frostjon361 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

well this explains the east west and southern coasts of the US

looking into this more now

as i am currently hoboing in houston this explains a lot

maybe time to change scenery again lol

How does that explain California, Oregon, and Washington then?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

For all we know this virus is product of US military industrial complex like Lyme disease

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join