It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't pay my council tax for this level of welfare!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This is MrsNonSpecific on Nonspecific's details as I am three posts short of creating my own thread, but I am too enraged to even contenplate doing three posts to be able to do it.

I have just visited a teenage friend who just had a baby four weeks ago. Her parents are flipping useless and have left her no where to go but the rely on the council.

I am ensensed that my coucil tax does even go to provide her with accomodation that has any flooring or a flipping cooker in order to feed herself to keep her strong whilst breast feeding her 4 week old little one.

She luckily found white goods, sofas and a carpet on the street left over from tenants who have left the estate. This is not good enough!!

With the buying power the government have why don't they stock pile cheap fridges and cookers to put to council flat- chain them to the flipping wall if you have to so that they can't be moved by sloightly less desirble tenants.

They have given her a decorating voucher but this only apparently covered paintand wallpaper, all very well accept she hasn't even got a flipping floor in her flat, not even cheap crappy laminate.

And pretty wallpapaer is obviously keep you happy as you sleep on the floor as the flat didn't even come with a bed!

Arghhhhhhhhhh!!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear this! Poor girl!!! I know how exhausting it is to have a little one, and to then have primitive conditions that, while a roof over their head, do not nearly suffice. To handle this as a teenager must be extremely hard - many full adults would lose it. How is she expected to suddenly purchase appliances? If she had that kind of money, no doubt she would not have qualified!! I would think your equivalent of social services would find the accommodation unfit for a baby to live in, if not the mother, and either find them a better place or up fit the apartment.

I hear your rage.

- AB

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That sucks about the parents not giving her support. At least she has friends like you that care. on a side not: what are "white goods"? Is it a store or something in England?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Now, as myself Mrs.Nonspecific to complete my 20 posts.

'White goods' are fridges, freezers, washing machine, tumble dryers and cookers.

Nonspecific, says 'hello, glad for all the sci-fi related fun!'

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

If you haven't already done this...I suggest you get together with some people you know who care about humanity...and contact some churches and get this young woman and her baby some real help.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

No, apparently this is the norm. The flat has the nasty plastic 70s hospital tiles and that's it.

A priviledge she pays £100 a week for, not including utilites. Ironically is she doesn't have a cooker, this is pretty low at the moment.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

I am going to help her as much as I can, she is getting a TV off me this weekend. I don't use it.

I think the most upsetting thing is she doesn't seem to see that this isn't acceptable. I am defintely going to write to my MP and rant at him via pen and paper, not going to even type it so he can feel rage in my swoopy handwriting.

I am hoping that is she moves councils she might get better accomdation.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

I am going to help her as much as I can, she is getting a TV off me this weekend. I don't use it.

I think the most upsetting thing is she doesn't seem to see that this isn't acceptable. I am defintely going to write to my MP and rant at him via pen and paper, not going to even type it so he can feel rage in my swoopy handwriting.

I am hoping that is she moves councils she might get better accomdation.

Make sure you get her a tv license as they visit newly occupied properties almost emediatly, otherwise she'll be lumbered with a fine! I could explain how to get shot of the license man but you need to be very brave for that! Basically just tell him where to go!

The white goods problem. I'm not sure if the rules have changed but it used to be that she could claim from the social for white goods, and they have a set maximum that they will pay. Because of that payment even the crappiest second hand white goods are quickly taken (from the street) by the secondhand dealers, because they know they can get the maximum price from the social payments! That means that say..a cooker worth £20 will get them £120 because thats what the social will pay.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

It is sad that she is not totally aware that she deserves better...hopefully through your input and friendship she will learn.

It is good she has you and others to help...I will pray for her and the baby.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I have also got shot of the licence man by only having a computer, but I will doiuble check with her.

She does have white goods now, but only by chance, not by the state actually providing for her, even most private flats come with white goods as standard nowadays. We are just going to keep an eye out for a free cooker for her off a thing called 'freecycle' where people give stuff away you just have to go and collect it.

You can get many a thing in the back of a Suzuki Ignis with the seats flat.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Thank you

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Just to play devils advocate

Why should my taxes be spent on putting a single teenage mum up in a council house, let alone also pay for her furniture.

Birth control. Problem solved.

Honestly this entitlement society is doing my head in.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Just to play devils advocate

Why should my taxes be spent on putting a single teenage mum up in a council house, let alone also pay for her furniture.

Birth control. Problem solved.

Honestly this entitlement society is doing my head in.

Lady gets married.
They have a child.
Man legs it.
According to your logic the lady and child should be left to starve?
What about the child? remember, he/she had no say in this matter!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I am in agreement with you to some extent if you are being devil's advocate. If we lived in a society were we all reached a certain level of education, and empowerment and self belief to know we can make better choices.

However, this is not the situation we are faced with. I think we can all spew out points of education, and chuck condoms at 12 year olds this does not help. And the consequence is teenagers seeking love but in am immature and sometimes irresponsible way end up with the consequence of offspring. They need housing, but what I expect is a clean environment were they can at least do the most basic of human behaviour's ie. eating and washing. They can take pride in it and maybe boost their self esteem a bit, to find something to take pride in. A grotty flat is not going to instill positive changes in life choices or outlook if you are already negative about yourself and situation.

I think I have had a shock, having never really had contact with that level of society in this town.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I wished we lived on a planet where we saw the children as are most precious resource and we went to great lengths to make sure everything was prepared for their arrival. A child should have a well maintained home on arrival, there should never be a question whether the child should go hungry. The child should have access to unlimited amounts of education and learning materials, included in that an education fund already set up before the child is conceived.
Sadly this is not the case, children are usually an unplanned inconvenience that are born to selfish people who can barely manage their own state of affairs with the attitude the government should pick up the slack because I could not control my hormones.
Until this mindset is done away with the human race will keep breeding undesirables.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This young lady is at a low now. With the support you give her as a friend and motivation she'll be the one helping the next person in need cheerleading them on that this a just a pause.

(I usually call stressirs speed bumps but this doesn't sit well with me due to babies being precious. Don't forget that with speed bumps you just slow down but keep it moving )

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

Jamie, the mother, loves her daughter. No question. It has actually made her step up. I used to live with her father and herself. She had no sense of direction, and on a daily basis was told she was nothing and would amount to nothing. She will now never be nothing to her daughter.

Jamie had am full time job before she got pregnant, and was working her way through the ranks. I am very proud of her. She was trying to make something for herself. Now I know she will make something of herself. She is a mother, and will do anything to provide for her child. But she needed a house, and this house is not a house worthy of a mother trying to create a safe, clean and warm environment for her daughter to start her life with.

I also currently have her brother living with me, as the council served him and his girlfriend an eviction notice, for having the 'gall' for asking for a room in their bedsit with a double bed as for the past 6 months they had been sharing a single bed.
So you can see my frustration with the social care in Swindon!!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm curious...why aren't the parents helping?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Because they are egotistical and selfish and too caught up in their own lives.

Jamie has just always been lost, with no stable upbringing or encouragement just shouting and negative comments.

The brother has not been a great picnic of a son, however he is now paying his dues and sorting himself out, at the moment buying, servicing and selling bikes out of my garage, whilst doing a qualification in using forklifts with a job at the end of it- a government scheme I agree with! useful.

I don't know the mother, but have had dealings, and almost had a nervous breakdown by their father.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Poor kid! At least she has you to help in whatever ways that you can.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join