It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French archaeologists unearth two Old Kingdom tombs

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Minister of Antiquities announced today the discovery of two 6th Dynasty (Old Kingdom) tombs at the site of Tabit El-Geish, south of Sakkara.

Source

I get so excited when I see discoveries like this. I wish I had the ability to read the walls as if they were written in plain English, but unfortunately will have to rely on the knowledge of others. Both tombs depict similar scenes and were found to have been cut directly into the white limestone bedrock.

The first tomb of a priest called "Ankhti" where the burial chambers was found in a shaft 12 meters deep and the second tomb belongs to a priest called "Sabi" where the burial chamber was found in a shaft 6 meters deep. In both tombs there are offering scenes.

Both chambers contained skeletal and human remains of the tombs owners. The bones were discovered scattered which led archeologists to believe that the tomb had been previously robbed during the 7th or 8th Dynasty.

Remind me to be buried in a welded titanium box so that I may be a benefit to science when they discover me after the next collapse of our civilization. I freaking hate grave robbers with a passion!

Both tombs also contained scenes of offering lists and depictions of "The Seven Sacred Oils" which were used in the Opening of the Mouth ritual.

Above: An alabaster tablet for the seven sacred oils was discovered in the burial chamber of Ankh-haf at Giza.

There's not much more to the article, so I'll have to check around and see what else I can find. If you can dig up (pun!) anything extra or have any knowledge related to the discovery, I hope you are willing to contribute. Thanks

edit on 2-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

That's great because of the perfectly preserved examples of the Palace facade motif and it's relationship to the afterlife, basically the horizon was divided up into sectors with the great double door of the horizon being the point to pass through, those are the best examples found i looked at the tomb of Pepy previously, the same concern with the horizon as an architectural facade is seen on artifacts from Jiroft

The Doors of Heaven

Things like this i always end up counting and measuring everything...

edit on Kpm43091vAmerica/ChicagoThursday0230 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Nice,
thanks for posting,
It is remarkably well preserved.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
Nice,
thanks for posting,
It is remarkably well preserved.

Exactly what I was thinking, gorgeous preservation

This is really exciting to me; it shows how much history is still unveiled, things still waiting for rediscovery.

Our future is discovering our past, to better comprehend the present moment we are in via our ancestors and their knowledge.

If history repeats itself, if reality in thus universe or at least galaxy, are truely cyclic, then understanding our past us understanding what is to come, what our ancestors lived through or remembered.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well done on the find the paintings are remarkably preserved,old Kingdom tombs at that.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
anyone ever noticed how the drawings of urns and other containers on the wall are made to look like they are sitting on shelves? awesome ~4000 year old tricks of the eye!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Amazing, thanks for posting.
I've always believed, and still do, that there there are tombs and treasures buried under the sand that can open up the past in ways we couldn't even imagine.
I would love to be a part of the team that deciphers the hieroglyphs & clearing out the tomb. It must a painstaking job, but rewarding at the same time.
The presentation is fantastic, very well preserved.

I hope we hear more about this.

S+F

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I appreciate you sharing this with us all, it's simply amazing how well preserved the two tombs are, even after supposed grave robbers already discovered the place first.

Hopefully this find helps historians figure out something we didn't know with this stockpile of information. Makes me wonder of how many buried tombs and cities are still out there...

new topics

top topics

join