It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorist gunmen attack Kenyan university, 147 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

NAIROBI, Kenya — Gunmen attacked a university campus in northeastern Kenya early Thursday, clashing with guards, forcing their way into dormitories, taking hostages and singling out non-Muslims, the authorities said.

Kenya’s interior minister, Joseph Nkaissery, said that 147 people had been killed, including four attackers. He contended that the deadly siege at the university had ended, and that security forces were carefully sweeping the campus for any remaining threats.

While the world focuses it's attention on media savvy attention whores in ISIS with their videotaped beheadings and social media blurbs, Al-Shabab is turning Kenya into a warzone.

In an audio message released on Thursday, a Shabab spokesman said the attack had been carried out because “the Christian government of Kenya has invaded our country,” a reference to the Kenyan military’s 2011 incursion into Somalia to oust the Shabab from its strongholds.

He said the university had been targeted because it was educating many Christian students in “a Muslim land under colony,” a reference to the large Somali population in that part of Kenya. He called the university part of Kenya’s “plan to spread their Christianity and infidelity.”

The siege was a devastating blow in a country that has long been a front-line state in the battle with Islamist extremism. In 2013, the Shabab mounted an attack on a Nairobi shopping mall that turned into a four-day ordeal, shaking Kenya’s prized sense of stability and leaving 67 people dead.

Interesting how, once again, there is a massive humanitarian and genocidal crisis in a part of Africa largely devoid of western mineral interests and countries who flip their lids over any hint of violence in the Middle East are nowhere to be seen or heard from except the "Al Qaida is bad" mantra they bust out only when the Al Qaida/Al Shabab link is brought up. I have to wonder if the perception of a link between Obama and Kenya is part of what is holding the US back from actually helping Kenya out here... if that is the case, then it's a piss poor excuse and poor form by the State Department.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Another thread from earlier this morning, at which point only 15 people were confirmed deceased... Thread

Sounds like it didn't stop there
Bless the Dead... thoughts with them and their loved ones
edit on 2-4-2015 by FamCore because: forgot to include link to other thread

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I heard on my way to work that they had taken plenty of hostages inside a dorm and had gone room to room demanding to know if the occupants were Muslim or Christian and were shooting the Christians. Is this is the final tally of that work?

If so, dear Lord in Heaven, be with those poor students' families. That is an awful lot of casualties, almost as many as went down in the airliner which is unfathomable too.

I really don't understand people anymore these days.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Rats! I searched for this and did not see it.
I'll close this thread and redirect to the previously existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing the thread now

top topics

join